Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Those talking cash-tills in Tesco's

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Saw the funniest thing yesterday in Seaford Tesco's , a young lady trying to keep up with the instructions given by the automatic till.

At one point the machine told her that it couldn't register her vouchers, so she was reduced to having to blow down the slot to get them to be picked up by the machine. I made her laugh when I suggested the machine might then accuse her of making a sexual advance towards it.

Does anyone ever feel like telling the machines to just f**k off, even though they are rather lady machines?

Dec 29, 2011
I like them, means you don't have to talk to cashiers and can probably be quicker too providing you have less than 15 items.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Saw the funniest thing yesterday in Seaford Tesco's , a young lady trying to keep up with the instructions given by the automatic till.

At one point the machine told her that it couldn't register her vouchers, so she was reduced to having to blow down the slot to get them to be picked up by the machine. I made her laugh when I suggested the machine might then accuse her of making a sexual advance towards it.

Does anyone ever feel like telling the machines to just f**k off, even though they are rather lady machines?

Yes! and I do on a near daily basis! the things do my head in, but ofton the quickest way to get out of a store if you only have a few items :shrug:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Yes! and I do on a near daily basis! the things do my head in, but ofton the quickest way to get out of a store if you only have a few items :shrug:

unauthorized item in the bagging area :eek:

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
"Please wait for a member of staff to verify your bags". Verify a bag! - what does that even mean? Who writes the script?!

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
I had to have my items checked. It seemed to want me to show ID for my flowers, chocolates and Mother's Day card. :facepalm:

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I find it most annoying when you only have one item which can be held in your hand... Ie loaf of bread or milk and you still have to put it down in the baggage area before paying. Almost as if there is scales there to make sure you're not nicking. If you don't trust customers don't provide self service tills.:censored::rant::rant:

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
quite easy to achieve some shoplifting - tip - put bag on the floor of the shop and some items dont get scanned and straight in the bag.....with toxic mega corps like tesco - you are only being a modern day robin hood and helping the flow of karma.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
I've been short changed a couple of times by these tills and it doesn't tell you to wait for a member of staff then!!

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
I find it most annoying when you only have one item which can be held in your hand... Ie loaf of bread or milk and you still have to put it down in the baggage area before paying. Almost as if there is scales there to make sure you're not nicking. If you don't trust customers don't provide self service tills.:censored::rant::rant:

They are scales and that's the whole point, it's like if you select 1 banana but put down 6 it knows and a warning comes up

GYM

Jan 4, 2010
Leeds

I have come across an item not bagged option on these. I tend not to use them though as I find the people using them are far too slow for my liking and the four people often serve the 30 people at lunch much quicker than 10 people muddle their way through the self scan.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i think they're brilliant. usually much quicker, though you have to watch if theres a queue while normal tills haven't. especially usful in small stores where they can cram in 3 or 4 of these to each till so for the same staff you have 3 times the checkout throughput.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Saw the funniest thing yesterday in Seaford Tesco's ,

There is no such place. Seaford does have a Tesco though. What is it with the letter 's' and the English language? If one isn't being tacked onto Asda or Tesco it's being unnecessarily inserted into disSappointed at every available NSC opportunity. I really can'ts cope.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
There is no such place. Seaford does have a Tesco though. What is it with the letter 's' and the English language? If one isn't being tacked onto Asda or Tesco it's being unnecessarily inserted into disSappointed at every available NSC opportunity. I really can'ts cope.
Not as bad as the apostrophe!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here