Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnes off as Albion suffer cruel defeat [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
[h=3]Barnes off as Albion suffer cruel defeat[/h]5:01pm Saturday 9th March 2013 in Albion By Brian Owen
2362520.gif
Ashley Barnes is sent off by referee Nigel Miller (photo Simon Dack)
Albion suffered a play-off setback today – and lost another striker.
The Seagulls were sent to a harsh 1-0 defeat at Bolton by Marcos Alonso’s 21st-minute drive.
Albion dominated possession and put plenty of balls into the box.
But their frustration boiled over just seconds from full-time when Ashley Barnes was mysteriously sent-off – possibly for dissent.
Albion went behind just seconds after they were inches from taking the lead.
Andrew Crofts, who had already seen a volley well saved by Andy Lonergan, fired low against the post from Bruno’s pull-back.
Within seconds, Bolton’s own Spanish full-back – former Real Madrid youngster Alonso - fired a low drive from the left corner of the box which went across Tomasz Kuszczak’s dive and inside his far post.
David Ngog stabbed a decent chance over the bar from an Alonso cross later in the half.
But that would have been very harsh on the Seagulls, who asked the home defence plenty of questions.
David volleyed just over and sub Will Buckley narrowly wide but the Seagulls coud not grab an equaliser.

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

You can't get sent off for dissent. Dissent is a yellow card, so unless he was booked before it wasn´t for that.

Foul and abusive language is a straight red card. If he swore at the ref then he should be sent off.

I'll reserve judgement till I've seen it on the box. But even then I doubt if you'll be able to tell unless you can lip read. We'll have to wait for the referees report.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here