Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One for the gardeners - Removing Gladiolus

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Anyone know the easiest way to remove gladiolus clumps? Our front garden has gone mental with them as the previous 2 years worth of tenants didn't do anything with them and have left them go wild. Is there an easy way to kill them off, or do I just need to attack it with a spade and dig up the entire area they are in?

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Yeah, the problem being they've got that bad that they is now three clumps that stick about 5 inches above the soil as there are so many corms there. Do I just get the spade out and dig the whole area over and run it through a sieve?

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
yep, dig em out and then if there's any smaller offsets that come up, spray them with a glyphosate based weed killer such as roundup or just continue to dig them up individually.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Cheers jevs and KZN. I know what I'm doing for the next few weekends then. YAY!!!!!!! :( Also got a clump of freesias that is in the same state. I've managed to dig over those a fair bit, but not attempted the horrid gladioli yet.

I'm also considering putting in a raised flower bed where the existing bed is. Would that help weed control by sticking an extra 8 inches of soil on top them?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Cheers jevs and KZN. I know what I'm doing for the next few weekends then. YAY!!!!!!! :( Also got a clump of freesias that is in the same state. I've managed to dig over those a fair bit, but not attempted the horrid gladioli yet.

I'm also considering putting in a raised flower bed where the existing bed is. Would that help weed control by sticking an extra 8 inches of soil on top them?

Oh well, it will keep you fit!

I had a similar problem with bulbs (crocosmia I think) - it did not take that long to be honest. As for raising the bed, I have not tried it, but I would imagine that the stronger ones will grow through eventually so you will just have to keep pulling them out.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here