Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Legal point. Derby fire deaths.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
The on going case of the Derby house fire in which six children died is often in the news,however alot of the prosecution case seems to be based on 'hidden secret' tape recordings of the defendants. This must be allowed otherwise it would not be submitted. However i thought evidence like entrapment/agent provocateur like The Met used in the Colin Stagg case was banned ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
entrapment is where you arrange a situation for someone to commit a crime. thats not at all the same as coaxing out an admission or confession.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
They didn't trick or trap them, they simply recorded them

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Such evidence is perfectly legal in this country if conducted according to some very strict laws. It is known as intrusive surveillance and the police generally have to go through a raft of criteria and applications which are monitored and assessed during the course of the surveillance. The police must have had an indication early on that they were suspects to get the surveillance on in the first place.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
You can record people even in there own house if the police suspect foul play remember that young toff from Bournemouth he was caught by old bill bugging the parents house.

Parents 'helped son cover up model - Telegraph

Is bugging a suspests house an easy thing to do,by that i mean i would imagine 'bugs' were placed while the suspects were at a police station but would the police have their own team of experts to carry out this type of work ?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Is bugging a suspests house an easy thing to do,by that i mean i would imagine 'bugs' were placed while the suspects were at a police station but would the police have their own team of experts to carry out this type of work ?

Not that I recommend trying it but it's very easy nowadays just as long as you can gain access to the property ( which locksmiths can do in seconds ). You can even buy very small and sophisticated bugs on the internet. The Met have their own surveillance team ( or did about 10 years ago ) but I don't know about other forces.

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
"You do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defence if you do not mention, when questioned, something you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence."

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
The recording was taken in the police van, so I suppose that makes it fair game to use as evidence.

I believe it was recorded in their hotel room.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here