Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton in the past

scottdaboss

Jan 26, 2013
Thank you for that. Lovely pics.

No problem, mate. Just came across these images after googling. The thread I found links all the pictures from here - The James Gray Collection::historic photographs of Brighton and Hove

James Gray, 1904–1998, was a local collector with a passion for the streets of Brighton and Hove, and, as time went on, further afield.
Working all his life in insurance, his initial collection of stamps gave way to local topographical photographs with the chance acquisition in the 1950s of a few images of Western Road. From then on he built up a massive collection: many of the entries are copies, exchanged with other collectors, others are views that he purchased or, more recently, that he commissioned.
Purchase cards from the Collection here.

Although there is today a strong general interest in old photographs, both for their factual content and also for their artistic value, when James Gray started his collection there was little:we must be grateful that he had the foresight and the single minded dedication to assemble this unique record of our City.

Upon his death, the Regency Society purchased the collection, and with help from our sponsors, has digitised it, to make it available to all, as James Gray wished.
There are 39 Volumes in all, (a typical one is shown here) some 7500 annotated photographs, sub-divided into areas of the city.

Last edited:

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Lovely pics,....I'm sure my grandfather saw as lot of those scenes....he got wounded at the second battle of the Somme and died 9 days before the war ended.....RIP FREDICK BRIGGS........

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Tremendous photos! :clap2:

(its a shame you seem to have randomly clicked a horsey thingie against the thread cos it'll probably stop a lot of people opening it. Maybe you could unclick it?)

southasp

Jan 24, 2009
portslade
Luckily James Gray was also a big Albion fan and there are many photos / postcards in his collection taken in and around the Goldstone.
Not quite sure how to link them onto here, but they are easily found on the Regency society web site mentioned above.
Well worth a look.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Well done...they are really superb. Hadn't realised that the Palace Pier was no more than a jetty compared with the West Pier

As a kid in the 60's, West Pier was the one we always wanted to go to. More rides, more to see. Bloody shame what they let happen to it.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
great stuff
thank you

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Days disappear when you are immersed in the James Gray site.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Excellent.

Seeing that wartime picture, I am wondering if Brighton beach was ever mined (as in land mines) during the war?

Very much so, my Mum was 14 when it started and living off Hove seafront and has often told me about it. The piers were barricaded shut and covered in barbed wire and explosives too. She also reckons that some unfortunate person was killed by one that the army forgot to retrieve a few months after the war ended.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Very much so, my Mum was 14 when it started and living off Hove seafront and has often told me about it. The piers were barricaded shut and covered in barbed wire and explosives too. She also reckons that some unfortunate person was killed by one that the army forgot to retrieve a few months after the war ended.

Thanks for that - I know that they were still digging mines up on the Channel Islands long after the war finished.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here