Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ignore User option

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
How many people use this and what does it actually do? Does it mean you just don't get to see their posts?

To me, some posts annoy me but but very few individual users do. The ones that get ignored seem to be either wind up merchants or ones with strident opinions that other people disagree with. The former should be and are as far as i can see are dealt with by the Mods and the latter should surely be accepted as part of a healthy debate? Anyway, discuss.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Why anyone would bother putting anyone on ignore is beyond me. Completely needless function imho.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I've probably got about 10-20 people on my ignore list, mainly just the Palace (and some Brighton) trolls that I just haven't got time for. It's difficult to get used to at first - you want to know what you can't see - but then you realise that you probably don't care what they're saying anyway.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Any second now some joker will put
'I can't read what you've written because you're on my ignore list'.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I've probably got about 10-20 people on my ignore list, mainly just the Palace (and some Brighton) trolls that I just haven't got time for. It's difficult to get used to at first - you want to know what you can't see - but then you realise that you probably don't care what they're saying anyway.

Why do you feel the need to do that though? That's what i don't understand. Given what you said about wanting to know what you can't see, it seems to just wind you up more. Why not just ignore them rather than put them on an ignore list?

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
It's easier to ignore the ignore list than putting them on ignore.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Why do you feel the need to do that though? That's what i don't understand. Given what you said about wanting to know what you can't see, it seems to just wind you up more. Why not just ignore them rather than put them on an ignore list?

That urge to want to read what they've written goes away pretty quickly. Examples of people who I've ignored are Aquilaugh and Glenn-Murray who just post a load of old drivel to try and reel people in. I tend to read every post in a thread I contribute in so blocking them is just an easy way of avoiding their inevitable bollocks.

I can see why people don't use it, I didn't for a quite a while, but I find this place much better when you ignore all of the wind-up merchants.

One flaw with the system is that you can still see what they've posted if someone else quotes it...

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
I don't ignore any user that but said I can think of a couple of people who could easily qualify for the status.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Can't see the point. Read them all, then respond if necessary

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Never used it myself, and probably never will. Out of interest, if you have someone on ignore, but then someone you haven't quotes their post, do you see the quote?

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
surely the ignore buttons are scroll down, or close window.....ignore is such a gay function.

"you hurt me so i'm not interested in anything you have to say" sort of crying.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I had never seen the need for the ignore function until I realised just how riled one particular moron made me each time he spouted his drivel. I kept getting myself into pointless debates with him just because I couldn't let it lie. So now, instead of foaming at the mouth at his ignorant and deliberately provocative posts, I don't get involved because I don't see them.

I appreciate that it is an option to just read the posts and not react but in practice that just wasn't working. I kept getting involved. Now I don't.

It's my weakness and I accept that. But the ignore function has done me a huge favour by removing the temptation to respond.

It's a bit like an alcoholic saying he wants to go to the pub every night, just not drink. That's fine, but you have to accept the chances of falling off the wagon are greater if you're surrounding yourself by temptation on a regular basis.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here