Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Buckley could have gone to Bolton

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I like Buckley but I feel that his response ,presumably, to some sort of approach was perhaps a little bit disappointing.

From Bolton Wanderers Forum

' BRIGHTON winger Will Buckley has revealed that Wanderers passed up on a chance to sign him as a teenager.

The highly-rated 23-year-old will line-up for Gus Poyet’s side at the Reebok today, eight years on from his only previous visit to the stadium.

On that occasion, the Whites passed on a chance to snap the Oldham-based wide man up on a permanent basis after giving him an extended trial.

“I went there when I was about 15,” said Buckley, who went on to make the professional grade with Rochdale before signing a then-club record £1million deal at Brighton.

“I played at The Reebok in a match. And it’s the only time I’ve ever played there.

“It’s a really nice ground, not far from where I am from.

“I had just left Oldham at the time and, if I was to join any other club, they would have had to pay compensation.

“That’s why I never got any further.”

Buckley will be looking to help his own club keep their noses in front of Wanderers in the play-off chase this afternoon.

The Seagulls currently have a five-point advantage, with a game in hand, and arrive at the Reebok having lost just four times on the road all season.

But Buckley believes Wanderers do belong back on the big stage having seen what they have to offer behind the scenes.

“It’s a big club and a really nice stadium to play at,” he said.

“There is massive competition around the North West. There are five or six Premiership teams in that area.

“But they are seen as a big club and the Premiership is where they are at their best and where they should be.”
'

Of course he may have been misquoted but form your own opinion !

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Can't really read much into that, to be honest. Sounds like a standard response.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Don't be such a fusspot.

He's talking to the Bolton Forum so he's hardly likely to slag them off. He's recently signed an extended contract as he wants to commit his future to us.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Seeing that £1m transfer record fee broken being quoted still seems amazing, and now we're almost blasé about spending a few million on Ulloa. Crazy days at the Albion.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think Ferring Seagull is being a bit sensitive. Think he maybe under the misapprehension that just because players play for BHA they instantly become lifelong albion fans rather than employees and therefore have to exorcise any previous existence that might relate to another football club.

As for the comments, he has just stated he played their 8 years ago on one occassion and thought it was a nice stadium!!!! Someone needs to get a life.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Indeed! I mean when were Bolton Wanderers ever 'A big club'? The 1920s and briefly in the 1950s? Confucius reigns and we all got wet.

Bolton would have been in the prem all the while he was growing up so without looking into their history I guess he would class them as a big team. Certainly now young kids who don't have an in depth historical knowledge will see Wigan as a fairly big club given the players they have and their extended stay in the prem, despite that fact that in reality they are tinpot.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Bolton would have been in the prem all the while he was growing up so without looking into their history I guess he would class them as a big team.

exactly. lad from Oldham thinks Bolton is a big club. only people i'd thought would take offence is Oldham fans.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Just being nice - Paul Anderson of BCFC said after match on Tuesday that Brighton will be in premiership soon, and noone thought anything of that.

There is a lack of understanding on NSC that theses guys are pros and want to plough their furrow in best way they can. They dont have blue and white stripes carved through their arms and nor should they. Same with Gus: of course he wants to manage Chelsea, Spurs or whatever yet there are some on here who get very pissy if he is honest and says that he hopes to move on some time. Get real I say.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here