Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Obscure occurrence in football , what is the outcome?

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Picture this scenario,

Kuszczak is fouled, and has a free kick to be taken from the six yard box, he passes it towards El-Abd , who is standing on the D of the penalty area. However the pass is misplaced and it is heading straight for an opposition striker. AEA realising this runs towards the ball inside the penalty and dives on the ball with his hands just as the striker who has also run inside the box is about to score. :eek:

What would you do? Or Expect a referee to do?

I have some more obscure ones too, will post when someone gets the full right answer.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
It's a penalty and a red card. If it had been a goal kick, it would be a different matter. But it's a freekick, so whether the ball leaves the penalty box is irrelevant, no?

Picture this scenario,

Kuszczak is fouled, and has a free kick to be taken from the six yard box, he passes it towards El-Abd , who is standing on the D of the penalty area. However the pass is misplaced and it is heading straight for an opposition striker. AEA realising this runs towards the ball inside the penalty and dives on the ball with his hands just as the striker who has also run inside the box is about to score. :eek:

What would you do? Or Expect a referee to do?

I have some more obscure ones too, will post when someone gets the full right answer.

I must be missing something - this seems rather straightforward? AEA is sent off for deliberate handball to deny an obvious goalscoring opportunity and a penalty is awarded.

edit: aha yes, [MENTION=4147]shaolinpunk[/MENTION] has got the distinction. Had it been a goalkick then the keeper would have been able to re-take it, although I'd be tempted to book AEA for poor sportsmanship (or whatever the offence is called).

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
The thinking seems to be that no other player has touched the ball before Adam dives on it in the box.
It's a free kick not a free pass. So red card and Penalty.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Everyone in the north stand sits down?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
The ball still needs to leave the box from a free kick, so i assume the goalkeeper would be asked to retake it and AEA would get a bit laugh from the crowd. possibly booked for time wasting.

Mr H

Mar 8, 2012
LA
The ball is not in play until it leaves the penalty area. The opposition player has not therefore been denied a goal-scoring opportunity

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
A quick look at the laws of the game tells me that, when a team gets a freekick in their own area, the ball isn't in play until it leaves the area. Never knew that - I though that only applied to goalkicks

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I've been on to Fifa and they say Munkfish is the winner. Ball needs to leave the box.

mcgoldrick

Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Eastbourne
I thought it was only goal kicks that dictate that the ball muct leave the penalty area. If it is a free kick then surely the same rules apply as everywhere else on the pitch. minimum distance the ball must travel (unless it has to visibly roll one revolution - like that awful Arsenal penalty from Pires a few years back). Therefore pen and red card.

Unlikely that any player would even consider diving on the ball though, maybe hack down the oppo player but not dive on it.

Do tell...

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
That's it:

The ball to be active, just like a goal kick, is only active when it leaves the penalty area.

AEA would get booked for unsporting behavior and the free kick would be retaken. Whilst half the crowd nearly passed out and probably the opposition fans going nuts.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I must be missing something - this seems rather straightforward? AEA is sent off for deliberate handball to deny an obvious goalscoring opportunity and a penalty is awarded.

edit: aha yes, [MENTION=4147]shaolinpunk[/MENTION] has got the distinction. Had it been a goalkick then the keeper would have been able to re-take it, although I'd be tempted to book AEA for poor sportsmanship (or whatever the offence is called).

Direct or indirect free kick to the defending team:

all opponents must be at least 9.15 m (10 yds) from the ball
all opponents must remain outside the penalty area until the ball is in play
the ball is in play when it is kicked directly out of the penalty area
a free kick awarded in the goal area may be taken from any point inside that area

As both players are in the area the free kick is retaken.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Next One then:

Bridcutt has the ball and goes to pass it back to Upson, the ball however takes a horrible bounce and Matthew misses it completely just outside the penalty area, Kuszczak sees a striker running in and before the forward can get there he dives on the ball just inside his area.

What is the decision?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Next One then:

Bridcutt has the ball and goes to pass it back to Upson, the ball however takes a horrible bounce and Matthew misses it completely just outside the penalty area, Kuszczak sees a striker running in and before he the forward can get there he dives on the ball just inside his area.

What is the decision?

I don't think it is a backpass - not sure why, but this sounds familiar.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Oh that's tough. Is it down the the decision of the ref as to whether it was an intentional back-pass or not. I assume with Upson missing it it wouldn't be seen as one so there would be no decision given? Play on I say!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here