Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have i done the right thing ?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Signed-up years ago with Tiscali and then were TalkTalk and have stayed 'loyal' but the last 2/3 months weak connection and call centre 'a toilet' so cancelled and have gone to BT have i done the right thing ?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Yes!

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
I'm probably talking rubbish, but I thought all Talk Talk, Sky and BT internet connections went via BT landlines to the local exchange.
Where I live it's the old exchange equipment that causes poor speeds.

Changing to a new provider won't guarantee a faster connection.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'd say you've done the right thing.
It's true that the copper pair from the exchange to the house is maintained by BT but Talktalk have their own DSLAMs and connection to the backbone. They also have a higher contention ratio .

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
Last I knew, you had to "unbundle" back to BT before another company could take over the line (hence couldn't move directly from TalkTalk to Sky). In the end I switched to Virgin - the connection is faster than anything I'll get across ADSL.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Would highly recommend Sky. Good value, quick, reliable. Not had a problem in 2 years since switching from BT.

Thanks, I am in fact doing the online order today, our BT contract is up on the 26th March and i've had a confirmation e mail following a phone call from sky saying as we have been loyal sky telly customers if we take out the Broadband and phone package they will let us have our telly package for 50% of the cost for 12 months and also we get the first 6 months of the Broadband + phone package for £7.50 a month, and we are still only tied into a 12 month contract, so can re negotiate then.

The full price for unlimited broadband and line rental is still a few quid cheaper than BT anyway, that said I would never knock BT we have had there broadband package for some 10 years now and never really had an issue.

As for landline phone costs, we rarely use the landline unless its for an 0800 (free) number anyway, our quarterly phone call costs have never been more than £3 in the last 7 years! and stupidly sky can give us line rental cheaper than BT :shrug:

A no brainer really, my only concern was any problems with the sky broadband and you have re assured me, thank you :thumbsup:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I'm thinking of changing from BT to Sky, does anyone have any issues with sky broadband?

BT are very good but not the cheapest.

We are with Sky and are considering upgrading to their Fibre Unlimited package. With their basic broadband we've never had any major issues, I'm not a big fan of the router they supply but that's a personal preference. We've been in our current house nearly 3 years and I can only think of 1 problem with our connection that was resolved pretty quickly when I phoned them up. We get a pretty decent 4.5mb connection for £7 a month unlimited bandwidth so can't complain about value for money.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
! and stupidly sky can give us line rental cheaper than BT :shrug:
BT have two prices, retail and wholesale. Ofcom rules mean the wholesale price, ie what they sell to other telcos like sky, is cheaper. That means that the others can buy a bunch of phone lines and skim a little bit off each one whist still undercutting BT.
It's line tesco being forced to sell everything to asda at 10% less than to thier own customers..

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
Switched from BT to sky 3 years ago, connection is fine and connecting the sky router to your HD box opens up hundreds of downloadable films (providing you have the movie packages) and iPlayer, 4od etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here