Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does three inches make a difference...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm looking at buying a smart tv and because of the size of my lounge the maximum i am looking at is 40'' ..but there is a good deal on a 37'' one that gives me a few more bangs and whistles...its hard to judge whether this 3 inches is a big difference......currently on a 32inch one

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Go for the largest (as long as it's of good quality) screen you can. Even if it seems huge in the room at first, it very quickly appears to be smaller than it actually is, so doesn't dominate the room.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Doesn't matter what size your living room is It's got to be 60" or nothing else , if you can't make it to the cinema let the cinema come to you

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Go for the largest (as long as it's of good quality) screen you can. Even if it seems huge in the room at first, it very quickly appears to be smaller than it actually is, so doesn't dominate the room.

This is my concern...i dont want a tv to 'dominate' the room.....do u bother with 3d?

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Doesn't matter what size your living room is It's got to be 60" or nothing else , if you can't make it to the cinema let the cinema come to you

Don't say that - next you'll have someone commenting on how that kind of attitude is contributing to the decline of cinema.....

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
This is my concern...i dont want a tv to 'dominate' the room.....do u bother with 3d?

It really doesn't dominate after a while. We went for a 50" (against the OH's judgement) and it very quickly 'blended in'. In fact, I was soon wishing I'd gone for a larger one! As for 3D......haven't bothered with it as I don't feel it's really up to scratch yet.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
There is a theoretical formula for size. I have 42" and the formula ( which I can't remember ) says the recommended distance to view is 12 feet or more away.
This is fine , but I will go for 46 or 50" when the present one dies.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It really doesn't dominate after a while. We went for a 50" (against the OH's judgement) and it very quickly 'blended in'. In fact, I was soon wishing I'd gone for a larger one! As for 3D......haven't bothered with it as I don't feel it's really up to scratch yet.

Flat screen TV's are so slim nowadays that they do just blend in. You're spot on. I've also got a big chavvy 50" on the wall and it's not intrusive at all.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if 40" is the biggest for your room, you'll probably find the 37" will give you nicer image. definatly go for features over a little extra size, its what you do with it after all...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
if 40" is the biggest for your room, you'll probably find the 37" will give you nicer image. definatly go for features over a little extra size, its what you do with it after all...
Is right.

While unpacking and for the first few days the 37" will look massive, but it will 'shrink' into the room, at which point you'll be longing for the 40" big boy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here