Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kindle v Ipad Mini??

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I have a number of long haul flights coming up, and one of them is to go on holiday where hopefully I will get round to doing some reading. So a Kindle is beginning to appeal so I don't have to lug books around with me, and also at night reading without keeping the wife awake.
However, I have seen some reports saying e-readers will soon be obsolete due to the rise of the tablet. We already have an Ipad, but my question is, do I spend and extra £200 and get an Ipad mini which obviously gives me more all round functionality than the Kindle but with similar weight and size?
Advice from technical sages of NSC please...

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Get a Google Nexus 7.

Full tablet functionality, access to the full range of Google Play apps (including a Kindle app) but without spending the earth.

I have one and absolutely love it - £159 for the 16GB version or £199 for the 32GB one.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If you just want reading and already have an iPad then get a Kindle, probably the paperwhite.

Thee-ink screen is a lot easier on the eye than a tablet screen, and the battery lasts for yonks. Most tablets will not last you through an airport and a long haul flight unless you can pinch some power en route.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Another vote for a nexus 7. Add an external battery pack, OTG cable and USB stick(s) and you've got everything you need.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
If it's for reading, get a kindle (not Kindle fire)

Reading on them is a pleasure far and away better than any tablet and the battery lasts an age.

If you want a tablet, get a tablet but they're not so good for books.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I got a Kindle and am enjoying reading it greatly. Downloading films on there was a bit of a pain, and in all honesty i don't like doing that, but for a pure reader it's a cracker. 14 hours of battery life i think. I'm up deep into the night - which is about 11.30pm for me now i am approaching my truly late 30s - scraping each page with enormous expectation of the glorious next to come. HD fire i got.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Thanks for the advice. Kindle it is then! Thought as much, was just concerned about it being obsolete as soon as I'd bought it.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
My wife has a Kindle and likes to read hers in bed or whilst I am watching TV at night with the lights down low. But she always needs an additional light on. I did buy her a case with a built in LED light but that broke after a couple of months. I was actually thinking about getting her a Kindle Fire as she won't need the additional light then. An iPad mini would be wasted on her as she has no interest in watching films etc on it.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
My wife has a Kindle and likes to read hers in bed or whilst I am watching TV at night with the lights down low. But she always needs an additional light on. I did buy her a case with a built in LED light but that broke after a couple of months. I was actually thinking about getting her a Kindle Fire as she won't need the additional light then. An iPad mini would be wasted on her as she has no interest in watching films etc on it.

I think as per advise on here the Kindle Paperwhite is the way to go if you want to read in the dark.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I think as per advise on here the Kindle Paperwhite is the way to go if you want to read in the dark.

Cheers - that'll save me a bit!

JCL

Better, Stronger, Faster
Jul 2, 2011
East of Eastbourne
Get a Google Nexus 7.

Full tablet functionality, access to the full range of Google Play apps (including a Kindle app) but without spending the earth.

I have one and absolutely love it - £159 for the 16GB version or £199 for the 32GB one.
This.

Most of my kit is Apple, but when it came to a tablet, Santy Claus made the right choice - the Nexus 7 is a great bit of kit and significantly more affordable than the iPad Mini. (I've got the 32gb version)

If it's just for reading books - then a normal Kindle wins hands down - that's what it's designed for.

Looked at the Fire and to me the build quality is nowhere as good as the N7.

Shoreham Gull

Nov 3, 2012
Westdene
Treat yourself and get a full blown Ipad 3 with retina display :cool:

Put any tablet next to it and you see the screen/graphics on retina is unbelievable!

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
Do not buy a Kindle Fire under any circumstances. The app store is incredibly limited, and I believe the Nexus 7 (superior to the iPad Mini) is the same price anyway.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
If it's just for reading then you can't beat a Kindle Paperwhite

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
i have the old original kindle - amazing - 1 month battery, 500 books on it.......electronic ink makes it easy on the eye......apps and all the other nonsense is for gays (joke).

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Do not buy a Kindle Fire under any circumstances. The app store is incredibly limited, and I believe the Nexus 7 (superior to the iPad Mini) is the same price anyway.

Got absolutely everything I need, anything that's not there can easily be download from elsewhere.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
I love my Kindle Fire HD - does everything I need including superb quality seagulls player

You manage to side load a flashplayer onto your device as well then

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here