Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Playoffs pessimism

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Looking at the fixtures list for Saturday, I've suddenly become very pessimistic about our playoff chances.

You have to fancy Forest to beat Wolves at home and Leicester should also beat Sheff Wed too. We know first-hand that out-of-sorts Middlesbrough won't have an easy time at Bristol City.

I'd take a point at Bolton if offered, and it won't be easy to come back with that.

It's all giving me a sense of deja vu from last season - slipping away from the playoff picture when the going gets tough.

Convince me otherwise, please...

Last edited:

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Looking at the fixtures list for Saturday, I've suddenly become very pessimistic about our playoff chances.

You have to fancy Wolves to beat Wolves at home and Leicester should also beat Sheff Wed too. We know first-hand that out-of-sorts Middlesbrough won't have an easy time at Bristol City.

I'd take a point at Bolton if offered, and it won't be easy to come back with that.

It's all giving me a sense of deja vu from last season - slipping away from the playoff picture when the going gets tough.

Do they still get 3 points for that?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

You have to fancy Wolves to beat Wolves at home and Leicester should also beat Sheff Wed too. We know first-hand that out-of-sorts Middlesbrough won't have an easy time at Bristol City.

The way Wolves are playing at the moment I reckon they'd probably struggle to beat themselves at home.

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh

What are the odds?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

Wolves beating Wolves! Is that by an own goal?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I reckon Wolves v Wolves is more likely to end in a draw.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Sorry but, I agree. I think Forest are on a roll, Leicester will sort themselves out and we'll be the odd man out.
With CMS' injury, just feels like someone is against us. BUT I do feel a million times more positive for next season if we can keep hold of Gustavo.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think it all hinges on the game in 10 days time

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
The truth is that anybody can beat anybody in this division. I think it will go down to the wire. Let's face it Leicester are about as predictable as the weather at the moment. No one expected us to beat Cardiff etc. All that's clear is Bolton will be better than they were last time and that Nottingham Forest are improving as quickly as Middlesbrough are getting worse. The one thing I am confident about is that we have the strongest set of players we've had even without CMS. I don't think we'll slide like last year but it will be close.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Sorry, can't be anything but pessimistic but all the time we are within a few points of sixth we still have a chance.

In the next few games we have to go to Forest, Bolton and Middlesbrough away, all good teams in form (aside from 'boro admittedly) and our only home game is Palace (who will give us a right old dicking). Then for the rest of the season we seem to be playing teams around the playoffs or teams fighting for their lives.

I'm not sure Poyet's cautious tepid passing style copes well in these situations, or that we have the players to carry it out in such a degree that we can just overwhelm teams and play as we like, as we did in League 1.

I rate our chances at 20%.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I assume you mean Notts Forest to be Wolves.......

We have to play the 4 teams directly beneath us away. Our home form is crucial but how we perform in those 4 away games i believe will be pivotal, not only too our chances but to theirs as well.

For instance should we beat Bolton, that would almost eliminate them from the chasing pack, but if we lose they are on right up with us and on a run.

We need a point at least from Bolton......

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We need to make our game in hand count for once.

Previously this season we have played a game in hand against rivals twice ( at Blackburn home and away ).

A lot were thinking each time that it meant 3 more points - but each time we failed to get them all. We need to make sure it does mean 3 points next Tuesday.

Not too worried about losing to Bolton - it is very much on the cards with Freedman there.

As well as beating Barnsley, we need to win our home games, and perhaps beat Peterborough, and we'll finish top 6.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
"11 replies already - how nice", I thought.

Oh.

Nothing attracts posts quicker than:

1. Grammatical errors
2. Smelling Pistakes
3. Fish based puns
4. Palace threads

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports