Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ulloa v Peter Ward

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Interestingly Ulloa has scored 79 league goals in 178 appearances in his career. This is exactly the same record that Peter Ward had at the Albion.

I know it means little, but it's an interesting one for the stattos.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Could Ulloa be a legend in a similar mould to Ward? Those goals against Palace and the first amex hatrick mean he's at least on the path

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Ward V Ulloa. A no contest at the moment.

Krusty

Sep 9, 2006

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Would it be blasphemous to suggest that Wardy might be a little bit overrated by Albion fans?

Something tells me we will have players of far superior ability come to the club in the coming years... Maybe Ulloa already is...

Couldn't say as I wasn't even the glint in my father's eye when he played for us but expect a flaming from the older posters

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Would it be blasphemous to suggest that Wardy might be a little bit overrated by Albion fans?

Something tells me we will have players of far superior ability come to the club in the coming years... Maybe Ulloa already is...

cough!
I think here is an example of someone who never witnessed Wardy slaloming past midfielders and defenders every week..

Ward's stats are adversely affected I think, by Mullery benching him, and perhaps his own domestic issues.
His leaving players in the dust wondering wtf, is no over-rating. A beautiful sight - except for oppositions.

I don't actually recall a defender taking a ball off him ever. I do remember THREE trying to trap him in a corner..... and being left behind looking like muppets without a hand up 'em. He lifted the ball past them and was off! Genius.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
cough!
I think here is an example of someone who never witnessed Wardy slaloming past midfielders and defenders every week..

Ward's stats are adversely affected I think, by Mullery benching him, and perhaps his own domestic issues.
His leaving players in the dust wondering wtf, is no over-rating. A beautiful sight - except for oppositions.

However, there is a consensus amongst his managers Taylor, Mullery (not to mention Clough) and many fans that Ward was rather inconsistent, which contributed to him being out of the side on occasions. Sure, people most remember the purple patches when he was untouchable but he also had very lean spells in front of goal.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
cough!

I don't actually recall a defender taking a ball off him ever. I do remember THREE trying to trap him in a corner..... and being left behind looking like muppets without a hand up 'em. He lifted the ball past them and was off! Genius.

Ward, no contest!

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Different type of players - Wardy was a slightly built and nippy 'will of the wisp', a wizard at close ball control who was adept at turning defenders and finishing. A Sergio Aguero type of player.....Wardy fired us from Div 3 to Div 1.

Ulloa is a more obvious target man, good in the air but classy with the ball at his feet. If Ulloa can get us to the Prem and get 79 goals in 178 appearences for the Albion then he will be a legend too. In the meantime he has to be one of our most timely signings, parachuted into our depleted attack just at the right moment. Can't do any wrong at the moment and maybe the script will have him making history in the play-offs?

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
However, there is a consensus amongst his managers Taylor, Mullery (not to mention Clough) and many fans that Ward was rather inconsistent, which contributed to him being out of the side on occasions. Sure, people most remember the purple patches when he was untouchable but he also had very lean spells in front of goal.

So then it's way too soon to compare a NEW Albion player to Wardy. If their count is the same - clearly Ulloa hasn't consistently banged 'em in either.

Club scoring record for a season?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

Name the 'very lean spells' in the 36 goal season ?

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Ward benefited from a telepathic relationship with Spider who was possibly a more direct comparison to Ulloa now the thought of them together is the stuff of dreams. I don't think we overrated Ward, he clicked at Brighton and was truly breathtaking at times.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Name the 'very lean spells' in the 36 goal season ?

Silly question. That was one of the purple patches, of course. A magnificent first full season in the Albion first team. But in the promotion season in 1978/79, he went four months without scoring a League goal. That can't be denied either.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If you never saw him play you have NO IDEA of how good he was, the few video clips of his goals don't really do him justice. He was worth the admission money on his own and he's still THE most exciting player I've ever seen play for the Albion. Having said that he never really 'trained on' as they say in racing circles, he pretty much peaked by the time he was 26 and we definitely saw the best of him. When he left us (for Forest) he'd been in and out of the team and there was a large body of opinion that thought it was for the best as some people thought he'd been 'found out' by the better defenders in the 1st division. Having said that we weren't exactly enthused by him being replaced by a Man U reject (Andy Ritchie)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
cough!

Ward never really cut it in the top flight. Let's see how Ulloa does next season.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
In style, Ulloa looks far more comparable to Bobby Z: good in the air, comfortable on the ball, decent finisher, good with his back to goal and capable of operating on his own as a lone striker and bring others into play. In my opinion he has the potential to match and possibly better the records of our best strikers in the top 2 divisions.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
As someone who wasn't even born when he was with us - Asking with genuine intrigue, not fishing or anything - why didn't he play at a higher level? eg more than one appearance for England - and why didn't it work at Forest or us the second time round? I have seen clips and he looks decent, but it's his career record more than anything that makes me suspect that he was a little bit overrated

Peter Taylor was a very fine judge of a player and he wrote:

"Ward has scored a hat-trick for England Under-21s and had a place in the full England squad but I don’t think he’ll realise his full potential because of inconsistency. Yet I like him. He is very good with his back to goal because he can turn and lick defenders and finish. That’s a rare quality – sticking it in the net."

From 'With Clough By Taylor'
With Clough By Taylor: The Peter Ward Story | The Goldstone Wrap

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
As someone who wasn't even born when he was with us - Asking with genuine intrigue, not fishing or anything - why didn't he play at a higher level? eg more than one appearance for England - and why didn't it work at Forest or us the second time round? I have seen clips and he looks decent, but it's his career record more than anything that makes me suspect that he was a little bit overrated

It's a valid question. Certainly when he was with us in the third and second divisions there was no question of him being overrated. He was breathtakingly brilliant - end of story. As I said though he pretty much peaked though at 26. Why? Dunno. Certainly, perhaps understandably, he never tore up the 1st division the way he did the lower ones, and again as I said there was a feeling that the better-quality defenders knew how to play against him. If you put a gun to my head though I'd say that Zamora was a better player as he got better and better with age and experience (although his best days are now behind him)

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
If you never saw him play you have NO IDEA of how good he was, the few video clips of his goals don't really do him justice. He was worth the admission money on his own and he's still THE most exciting player I've ever seen play for the Albion. Having said that he never really 'trained on' as they say in racing circles, he pretty much peaked by the time he was 26 and we definitely saw the best of him. When he left us (for Forest) he'd been in and out of the team and there was a large body of opinion that thought it was for the best as some people thought he'd been 'found out' by the better defenders in the 1st division. Having said that we weren't exactly enthused by him being replaced by a Man U reject (Andy Ritchie)

We saw Wardy at his peak in '76-79 and sadly he then struggled in Div 1 where the quality of defenders was better, they didn't give him space plus we didn't give him the service he had enjoyed on the lower Divs, and finally his trickery was well known by then.

It's a shame that Wardy's move to Forest didn't work out - Cloughie screwed him up. OK he came back to us for a brief cameo, still dangerous but wasn't the same.

In his pomp Ward generated this amazing buzz among the crowd whenever he received the ball, you just expected something magical to happen - and often it did. The only other time I have felt that buzz has been briefly from Vicente, but not to the same level. I wonder what Wardy in his prime would be like on the Amex pitch instead of the mudbath that the Goldstone and many other grounds were back then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here