Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Three Valleys

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Looking to get a weeks skiing at Easter in the three valleys and never been there before, so i thought i would ask advice on which resort.

We would like ski in/ski out, and the whole family are advanced skiers, so looking for nice long blacks, reds, and maybe a bit of guided off piste. We'll probably take a catered chalet, so restaurants/shops aren't particularly high on our wishlist and me and the wife are definitely too old for any hectic apres ski.

Had a look at St Martin de Belleville but it's only 1400 metres, so not sure if the snow will stay good. Any advice welcome

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Have not been for 15 years but remember it as a great ski area. Courchevell and meribel are the prettiest but maybe expensive. Val Thorens is highest with concrete hotels, ugly but functional. I reckon that would be best due to the altitude (warm Easter days) and you can ski all round the other valleys from there. There is even a trip to a fourth valley. I am jealous.......

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Val Thorens. You're up there already, loads of Blacks. Runs that is.

detsknil

Sep 23, 2011
Hanover, East Sussex
Another vote for Val Thorens. You can visit the other 3 while your there easily and decide for future trips. Recommend trying the women's olympic downhill run in Meribel for a real challenge :cool:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
You can't really go wrong with any of the resorts within the 3 valleys. I'd recommend Les Menuires though , It's probably the least fashionable of the big resorts but the terrain is immense and has brilliant links to the top of the valley to Val Thorens. It has less of an emphasis on night life too so pissed up seasonaires won't be as prominent there :thumbsup:
The bottom village of Courchevel 1650 is well worth a look too.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
We've stayed in Val Thorens and Les Menuires. Val Thorens has fantastic skiing, and most runs are open at Easter, which is when we go. Les menuires is a little lower, and some runs may be slushy, but this doesn't matter as the links to all the 3 Valleys runs, including Val Thorens are so good.

We always used to go to Val Thorens, but the prices became ridiculous. Les Menuires is much cheaper, so I'd recommend it.

St Martin was snow-less last time we went to Les Menuires - avoid it at this time of year.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Another vote for Val Thorens, and I highly recommend the Hotel Le Sherpa. It's right on the slope so you can ski in/out but very friendly with great rooms and lovely food. I bloody love Val Thoren.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Along with the already mentioned Val T, Tignes is worth consideration.

Dumseagull

Jun 13, 2012
Lancing
I'm off to Tignes next sat, i will let you know :)

Did Val Thoren last year, was absolutely brilliant, and high up enough to have snow late in the season. If u like the quiet little town feeling, with cute little log cabin chalets a little town called les coshes is beautiful, and truly ski in ski out :)

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I'm off to Tignes next sat, i will let you know :)

Did Val Thoren last year, was absolutely brilliant, and high up enough to have snow late in the season. If u like the quiet little town feeling, with cute little log cabin chalets a little town called les coshes is beautiful, and truly ski in ski out :)

Is this your first time to Tignes?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Be prepared for everything being very expensive. We ski in the french Alps every winter including this, and the inflation year to year is exponential. From coffees to lift passes.

The £ euro rate has been relatively the same for years now, and French general inflation is low. The reason may be that there are so so many wealthy russians and other eastern europeans now in the Three Valleys and Val DIsere/Tignes, the french businessmen are successfully able to milk the demand with sky high prices and profits on us all.

Regarding the skiing, just a little further down the valley, the higher town-lets of Les Arcs and La Plagne will also have excellent snow then.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
I'm going to Alpe d'Huez tomorrow and really need to perfect my skiing before going to Les Menuires next month! I can't wait!

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Another vote for Les Menuires; ski in/out & great position to access all 3 valleys. Val Thorens is great but can be a bit like the M25 in rush hour. As knocky1 comments, try to get to the 4th valley if possible, relatively few skiers when I was last there 3 years ago.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Yes never been to Tignes before, you?

Lived in the Espace Killy (Tignes & Val d'Isere) for several years. It's an epic resort, always good to try and visit the 4 points in one day.Bottom of La Daille, top of la Fornet, top of Grande Motte and bottom of Le Breviere. It's a leg burner :)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Thanks for all the tips, looks like i'll try Les Menuires if i can get a reasonable chalet and Val Thorens if not as they should both be high enough for easter snow. We have done Les Arcs or La Plagne at easter about 5 times in the last 6-7 years, so want to try somewhere different, but reasonably high.

(Can't wait until the kids finish full time education and we can go somewhere at a reasonable price outside of holidays)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have went to The Three Valleys in 2010 and 2011. Val Thoren will certainly tick all your boxes and be the safest bet for snow at Easter.

I'm snowboarding at the moment as it 'appens.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Thanks for all the tips, looks like i'll try Les Menuires if i can get a reasonable chalet and Val Thorens if not as they should both be high enough for easter snow. We have done Les Arcs or La Plagne at easter about 5 times in the last 6-7 years, so want to try somewhere different, but reasonably high.

(Can't wait until the kids finish full time education and we can go somewhere at a reasonable price outside of holidays)

Always been Les Manure, in Franglish.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here