Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DS, Barket, Toby.A, and millions on the "acadamy."

AKADIME

Jan 26, 2013
Do not fear , there are things happening already with regard to improving the flow of young players in to the DS and beyond.. The club have invested in Coaching/ sports science/facilities/recruitment etc etc...and it is beginning to paying off even now (before the Academy/Training Ground is even built ) one of the younger teams have been over to Lisbon recently and got a week's experience of Pro-football approach to training/diet/discipline/ Matchplay v foreign opponents etc. they got a very creditable draw against Benfice and were complemented on the quality and style of pass and move game.
4 x premier club academy sides had reportedly been beaten by the same Benfica side previous to the draw with BHA.
I was privileged to watch a slighter older BHA team play against a very physical London Club a few weeks back , and albion played them off the park with some fanatastic stuff ,won 3-1 and 2 or 3 of those lads looked real quality..... be patient.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
This sounds good, will be great to see some of those we invested in making it through to senior sides asap.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
whats the point in spending squillions on an academy, beacuase whenever a 1st teamer is injured we just go into the loan market.

if i was in the DS i would be looking to get to another club.......we don't promote youth talent at all.

how many chances has JFC got since coming back? 2 minutes?

why not rather spend the squillions on the academy on loan player wages if thats the clubs strategy.

i hate loans, a squad should be the squad, and if problems use the younger players......err, drumroll....that's how young players come throught.

OP's got a point!

I mean....we don't need a class academy to attract youngsters, and top academy coaches, we can just use the current one. Absolute waste of money investing in our future...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
OP's got a point!

I mean....we don't need a class academy to attract youngsters, and top academy coaches, we can just use the current one. Absolute waste of money investing in our future...
What current one? We haven't got one.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Our acadamy is about L2 standard. Our first team is upper end of the Championship standard. Why would we stick youngsters who IN THE MAIN are a couple years off of playing L2 football into a top of the Champ side?

In the future if our acadamy is Premiership standard after money spent on it, should we expect young players to break into the first team (if they are still top Champ standard)? YES absabloodylutely but NOW, UNTIL we spend the money on IMPROVING IT? Nope..... just the occasional rare star like JFC, Dunk and a player signed for the DS Bridcutt!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
What current one? We haven't got one.

There seems a misunderstanding between the new Training Centre and the Academy.

There has been an Academy ( Centre of Excellence ) and there is currently an Academy (Status 2 Academy ) with a structure of training centres, coaches from under 9's upwards and recruitment processes, that isnt anything new, that has been there for sometime and has been successful.

The new rules under the EPPP ( Elite Player Performance Plan ) demand a more stringent criteria for those Academys wishing to attain their desired status, our's is level 2 with a prospect of level 1 sometime soon, each Academy independently audited.

It requires minimum levels of staffing, qualifications and facilities for those within the Academy, this is an effort to increase standards within all professional youth Academys and offer some prospect to the progression of English players.

So although the new Training Centre is critical to this, without a clear policy of progressing those players within it rather than buy in 'ready made players', then the Academy structure and its costs might be seen as a waste.

This isnt a comment on our club, as I am sure the investment has a proviso of developing our own players for our own first team.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Our Academy will take time to grow and turn out the quality of player we need to compete for a top 6 spot in the Championship, and maybe higher. It's not something that happens overnight. Gus and Bloom are laying the foundations for a sustainable future in years to come. Unfortunately this may mean we don't yet have the youth players Gus is happy to throw into a squad fighting tooth and nail for 6th at the business end of the season. An experienced loan player is more helpful short-term and that's where the problem is. We need a short term striker to come in, the Academy has just begun and is looking to build long term.

You say if you were a DS player at Brighton you'd be looking to leave. I think you'd be daft to do that with a multimillion pound training academy just around the corner and a team winning national plaudits for our style of play.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Remember it is also the training for the first team which they will spend 90% of there time which will help to attract better players and the youngsters will be able to learn from the pros. Bring on the academy.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Remember it is also the training for the first team which they will spend 90% of there time which will help to attract better players and the youngsters will be able to learn from the pros. Bring on the academy.

Thats correct, the Academy is only a small part of the new training facility.

Again not a comment on our club, but there would be a need for a concerted effort to offer an opportunity to a youngster ahead of a more accomplished counterpart, thats the conundrum for all clubs, it takes some courage from a manager that is always likely to be a loss away from the sack.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here