Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DS, Barket, Toby.A, and millions on the "acadamy."

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
whats the point in spending squillions on an academy, beacuase whenever a 1st teamer is injured we just go into the loan market.

if i was in the DS i would be looking to get to another club.......we don't promote youth talent at all.

how many chances has JFC got since coming back? 2 minutes?

why not rather spend the squillions on the academy on loan player wages if thats the clubs strategy.

i hate loans, a squad should be the squad, and if problems use the younger players......err, drumroll....that's how young players come throught.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
They need to get better then, simple.

The academy will give them the opportunity to get better, and will attract the better prospects.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The Academy needs time to bring it up to the same standards as the rest of the club. Previously and throughout its entire history it was just preparing Sussex schoolboys for a League One team, now it gets players from all over and is trying to prepare them for a top Championship, maybe even a Premiership, team.

A good Academy is still worth spending the money on. Look at Southampton; off the top of my head in the last ten years or so they've produced Theo Walcott, Gareth Bale, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Adam Lallana. The fees generated (and the fees saved by producing your own) more than justify the cost.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is the 'problem' for the whole club, fans included, but esp the dev squad.

These guys are no longer having to prove themselves to be on a par with, or a better prospect than (plucking name out of the air) Jeff Minton.

There's some seriously big boots to fill with no 'nothing' games to use for trialling the young'uns.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Here's a thought - maybe, just maybe, the academy is a long term plan to improve the quality of young players at the club in years to come.

If the DS isn't ready for the first team then they aren't ready. With top quality facilities and top quality coaches we should, hopefully, be able to get the best out of youngsters coming through the ranks.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
whats the point in spending squillions on an academy, beacuase whenever a 1st teamer is injured we just go into the loan market.

if i was in the DS i would be looking to get to another club.......we don't promote youth talent at all.

why not rather spend the squillions on the academy on loan player wages if thats the clubs strategy.

i hate loans, a squad should be the squad, and if problems use the younger players......err, drumroll....that's how young players come throught.

The academy isn't built yet, and when it is it will have a massive affect on the quality of the DS.

Unfortunately at present, the general quality of the DS isn't good enough for the top of the Championship - so unless we want the season to end in failure, we can't promote any strikers to the first team.

This doesn't mean we give up and don't spend the money to seriously upgrade it, and reap the rewards in future years.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Here's a thought - maybe, just maybe, the academy is a long term plan to improve the quality of young players at the club in years to come.

If the DS isn't ready for the first team then they aren't ready. With top quality facilities and top quality coaches we should, hopefully, be able to get the best out of youngsters coming through the ranks.

All of this, as well as the 1st team having state of the art training facilities instead of using a public gym and uni field

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
...and will attract the better prospects.

I think you might be wrong there, if we get a reputation that we are reluctant to promote from within, prospects will select another club in what is already a very crowded market...... I am very gloomy about the prospects of any of those DS squad members getting near the first team in the foreseeable future.... I feel sorry for them really.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can one of those moaning about these players not getting a chance tell me which of these players have gone out on loan and actually done anything? I seem to be think a few have been loaned out and struggled to get into the lower league teams they were loaned to. Am I wrong?

Dec 29, 2011

Idiot.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
RIDICULOUSLY premature. This would be a fair thread in about 5-7 years time, if players aren't starting to come through by then.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The Academy needs time to bring it up to the same standards as the rest of the club. Previously and throughout its entire history it was just preparing Sussex schoolboys for a League One team, now it gets players from all over and is trying to prepare them for a top Championship, maybe even a Premiership, team.

A good Academy is still worth spending the money on. Look at Southampton; off the top of my head in the last ten years or so they've produced Theo Walcott, Gareth Bale, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Adam Lallana. The fees generated (and the fees saved by producing your own) more than justify the cost.

All of this, as well as the 1st team having state of the art training facilities instead of using a public gym and uni field

What academy?

We haven't got one.

All of these.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury

Rarely have I read a post on NSC that is so completely illogical and not thought through at all.

How can you equate the current DS squad with an academy that doesn't yet exist?

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
They need to get better then, simple.

The academy will give them the opportunity to get better, and will attract the better prospects.

You can advance only so much in the DS...these are the opportunities that are needed for players to develop and prove their worth. If they don't then au revoir and invest in the market or give someone else a chance.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

These are the ramblings of a utter remedial. I can't even be bothered to tell him, I'm sure plenty will though.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
QUOTE=hybrid_x;5552462]whats the point in spending squillions on an academy, beacuase whenever a 1st teamer is injured we just go into the loan market.

i hate loans, a squad should be the squad, and if problems use the younger players......err, drumroll....that's how young players come throught.[/QUOTE]

Crystal Palace who we are led to believe have the best academy in the Championship (according to Palace fans ) Had four loan players in their team last night. They only had one of their own players who come through the academy in the team.
But one of their loan players came through the club academy and earned them £10mill, so it is very much a case of waiting for these players to come through and if they are not yet good enough use the loan market. So lets get our academy going and see what comes through and maybe we can see future internationals at our club, which maybe gets sold to help club finances should it be needed .

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

That's right. These young players have SEEN the plans for the Academy, why has not made the 1st Team ready, what more do they need ... it to be built?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

There is much truth in what you say, however never under-estimate how important opportunity is.

Circumstance, the rules governing the Centre of Excellence's and a willingness by the coaching staff to bring on youngsters in the post Goldstone era offered Sussex youngsters a clearer pathway to the first team than ever before.

Many of those went on to carve out a career in the game, whilst we still have Hammond and El Abd trying to push us towards the Premier League, so don't dismiss what a clear policy might deliver.

It is not quite correct that in our entire history we have selected from a narrow band of Sussex based players, actually its quite the opposite.

Throughout the 70's and 80's and no doubt before that the selection of the Ground-staff, Apprentices, YTS and now Scholars have always been bias towards out of area talent, including the usual quota of Scottish and Irish.

The net has widened in the hope of bagging some untapped talent, but I hope it is not at the expense of those genuinely gifted Sussex youngsters that require the support, resources and opportunity afforded to someone we can barely relate to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here