Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

South East Water - confidence tricksters!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Had a letter from the SE water today stating they were increasing my DD payments by 15%! The letter enclosed a budget plan statement which showed an opening balance on the 28 Feb 2013 and a current balance on the 26th Feb2013 (yes, in that order!), both showing the same amount. It then shows a list of future payments and respective collection dates. The covering letter merely said that the dd payments are calculated by adding the amount outstanding to the last two bills and dividing by 12. Seems logical but then why don't they include the annual useage in the letter?

Picked up the phone and the girl at the call centre admitted that there was no meter reading so couldn't tell why the bill had been increased so agreed to put it back to what it was. Not sure if anyone else has received one of these but it's only because I resent paying money in excess of what I owe over a year into the utilities bank accounts that I check them. I know plenty don't and just accept the change. Worth watching out for.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
All companies taking DD's for varying usage try this on. They want you to be in credit with them as your money is cheaper than a bank loan or overdraft. If I paid what Eon want to take as a monthly payment in 12 months I will be £1000 in credit! If all my monthly DD companies did this I would be £6k worse off!

On a similar note I heard a report that a woman had stayed with the same insurance company for 20 years and every year just paid the renewal quote each time never querying it - In the end she was paying over £3k per annum for insurance she could get for £200 elsewhere.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Had a letter from the SE water today stating they were increasing my DD payments by 15%! The letter enclosed a budget plan statement which showed an opening balance on the 28 Feb 2013 and a current balance on the 26th Feb2013 (yes, in that order!), both showing the same amount. It then shows a list of future payments and respective collection dates. The covering letter merely said that the dd payments are calculated by adding the amount outstanding to the last two bills and dividing by 12. Seems logical but then why don't they include the annual useage in the letter?

Picked up the phone and the girl at the call centre admitted that there was no meter reading so couldn't tell why the bill had been increased so agreed to put it back to what it was. Not sure if anyone else has received one of these but it's only because I resent paying money in excess of what I owe over a year into the utilities bank accounts that I check them. I know plenty don't and just accept the change. Worth watching out for.

So......you got an erroneous letter, you called up and someone fixed it fo you.........Whats your point ????? I accept that not everyone checks their bills, but to be fair, all your excess DD money is going to do is carve into next years bill when it arrives, not line some fat cat's pocket. Get a grip....

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
So......you got an erroneous letter, you called up and someone fixed it fo you.........Whats your point ????? I accept that not everyone checks their bills, but to be fair, all your excess DD money is going to do is carve into next years bill when it arrives, not line some fat cat's pocket. Get a grip....

You haven't grasped the point!

X amount in credit * thousands if not hundreds of thousands of customers = cheap money to these rip off merchants.

Worthingite

Sep 16, 2011
Worthing

X amount in credit * thousands if not hundreds of thousands of customers = cheap money to these rip off merchants.

Haven't missed the point at all, i'm just a cog in these machines people are speaking ill of :D

If you believe what people think, people like me go to bed on a bed of £50 notes and drink only the blood of the poorest of people!!!!

Worthingite

Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Haven't missed the point at all, i'm just a cog in these machines people are speaking ill of :D

If you believe what people think, people like me go to bed on a bed of £50 notes and drink only the blood of the poorest of people!!!!

Incidentally, not SEW, but a company similarly enough named to confuse at least 40% of our customers :D

Worthingite

Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
But you do!!! :D

ps.. I want a water meter, but because I live in a flat I can't be supplied with one :angry:

Ring your water provider, and say that you want to be on Assessed Charges. They'll take into account the amount of rooms in the property and bill you at a better rate than the standard unmetered charges :) May actually work out cheaper in the long run.....specifically, if you ring 08452700845 and ask for the Meter Request team (if you live in the Southern Water area), they'll be able to certainly point you in the right direction :)

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Ring your water provider, and say that you want to be on Assessed Charges. They'll take into account the amount of rooms in the property and bill you at a better rate than the standard unmetered charges :) May actually work out cheaper in the long run.....specifically, if you ring 08452700845 and ask for the Meter Request team (if you live in the Southern Water area), they'll be able to certainly point you in the right direction :)

Thanks! I will get on the case!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I think you missed the point as not everyone has excess money to sit in the accounts of the utilities. No worries for me as I'm happy to call and get it changed which they frequently do with no hassle. However, you say it is an erroneous letter but surely this is a letter issued by computer and therefore probably sent out to numerous addresses. Perhaps getting pensioners who may be less likely to try and get it change to pay more than they need is acceptable business practise.

Thank you.

As you say, you're just a cog so no I don't think you go to bed on notes as you describe, unless you are in fact the CEO on big bucks making money for your shareholders who then vote for your massive salary!!!!!!

ngood77

Aug 5, 2006

Be careful to compare the Assessed Charge with the Unmetered Rate before switching. I have recently been moved to the Assessed Charge (because they can't fit a meter) and it's 100%, yes 100%, more than it would have been if they'd kept me on Unmetered. Crooks !

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Be careful to compare the Assessed Charge with the Unmetered Rate before switching. I have recently been moved to the Assessed Charge (because they can't fit a meter) and it's 100%, yes 100%, more than it would have been if they'd kept me on Unmetered. Crooks !

Crafty gits! Thanks for the heads up. Will do a compare and decide test before committing. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here