Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which MANAGERS could get int our side?

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I mean as manager rather than player. Since Gus will leave sooner or later, who would you say are the best candidates? I was thinking Dougie Freedman. He's done an amazing job at Palace and has now started to turn Bolton around while Palace have been struggling since Holloway came in. What do others think?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Martinez, Di Matteo, Zola.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Arsene Wenger, job swap as a stepping stone in Gus' increasingly desperate attempt to land the Chelsea job (money) :wink:

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I mean as manager rather than player. Since Gus will leave sooner or later, who would you say are the best candidates? I was thinking Dougie Freedman. He's done an amazing job at Palace and has now started to turn Bolton around while Palace have been struggling since Holloway came in. What do others think?

Out of interest (and assuming that we continue our upward trend) what's to prevent Gus doing a Ferguson and staying with us for many years?
Why is it seemingly inevitable that "Gus will leave sooner or later"??

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Out of interest (and assuming that we continue our upward trend) what's to prevent Gus doing a Ferguson and staying with us for many years?
Why is it seemingly inevitable that "Gus will leave sooner or later"??

Not inevitable. Just likely. Anyway, just interested what people think of who might be the right man if he goes anytime soon. Freedman fits the bill for me because he's clearly got the best out of an average palace team and is now turning Bolton round.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I really think Tony would want someone to continue our football philosophy. If it was soon (i.e. next 1/2 years, which I really don't see happening), then one of Zola, Di Matteo or Martinez. If about 3-4+ years down the line I reckon Inigo Calderon.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I really think Tony would want someone to continue our football philosophy. If it was soon (i.e. next 1/2 years, which I really don't see happening), then one of Zola, Di Matteo or Martinez. If about 3-4+ years down the line I reckon Inigo Calderon.

Interesting about Calderon. I think Gus will be gone the same as Lambert and Rodgers did once we go up. It could well be this year too. Can see us winning a play-off final. Don't really fear any of the teams above us.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Interesting about Calderon. I think Gus will be gone the same as Lambert and Rodgers did once we go up. It could well be this year too. Can see us winning a play-off final. Don't really fear any of the teams above us.

Gus has said many, many, many, many times it would take something "really, really special" for him to leave us. He constantly stresses the long term with us, wanting to build a dynasty etc, emphasis on involvement with the DS and new training centre etc. I think - provided we are still progressing, which I believe we will be for next 2-3 years at least- he would only go for one of the following:

Chelsea
Spurs
Uruguay
Zaragoza
Real Madrid/Barca/Similar MASSIVE team.

I don't see it happening just yet.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Can see Poyet being tempted by the Hammers an it looks like Fat Sam is on his way out.

Are there any Spanish and English speaking managers about, we would need one with our squad!!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Gus has said many, many, many, many times it would take something "really, really special" for him to leave us.

That's very open to interpretation though. Say someone like Villa (silly example, but just to theorise) said to him, you can have £30m budget for players, total control of the club and a 5 year contract - he could easily view that as "special" - not that I think that would happen for a minute.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The potential vancancy at EVERTON is one which would scare me. What a great club that would be for Gus to join, even if they are restircted somewhat.

Anyway, I would love to be able to 'promote within' if he left, to keep the ethos of the club going. If Tarrico wanted to stay then I wouldn't be unhappy for him to give it a go but I imagine he'd join Gus.

Otherwise I would like DENNIS BERGKAMP

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Phil Parkinson, Michael Appleton and possibly John Sheridan have the ability to take us forward from this point.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That's very open to interpretation though. Say someone like Villa (silly example, but just to theorise) said to him, you can have £30m budget for players, total control of the club and a 5 year contract - he could easily view that as "special" - not that I think that would happen for a minute.

Of course that would be very special. But that's never going to happen in a million years. I can't think of a single Prem club where he would get even 10% of the freedom he gets here.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I'm not worried if he goes as much as I was. Have total faith from many of the things said by the club that they will find a strong replacement and have put the club in a great position to achieve that. My personal ideal would be Martinez. Maybe Solskjaer. My point about Freedman was really that he's a good young manager too. There are plenty out there and I really think many would love to manage Brighton. Don't forget Villas Boas applied for the Burnley job not so long ago.

I like Mellotron's suggestion of Calde ultimately. Maybe somebody like Martinez could come in and have Calde as his assistant. I think it's very likely Tano will go with Gus.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Phil Parkinson, Michael Appleton and possibly John Sheridan have the ability to take us forward from this point.

I'm not sniping as, perhaps, I'm deluded by media coverage of him, but WHAT ON EARTH has Appleton ever done? Relegated pompey (not his fault, but still...), left for Blackpool, did nothing and left a few weeks later with a normal record and now at Blackburn hardly pulling up trees (12th in the league with an £8m striker)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here