Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is punk back ?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Just an observation I noticed a young lad dressed in what I would call traditional 1970s style punk complete with tartan bum flap in rural Woodingdean on Sunday and yesterday saw a similarly dressed young lad in Hassocks.

Are they back then ?

RedRob

come the revolution......
Mar 2, 2013
Pyongyang
Just an observation I noticed a young lad dressed in what I would call traditional 1970s style punk complete with tartan bum flap in rural Woodingdean on Sunday and yesterday saw a similarly dressed young lad in Hassocks.

Are they back then ?

...God, I hope so! 'Working-class anger' is well overdue....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No sign of them here, they all look like Jean Paul Gaultier woofters, in there espadrilles with no socks, stripy jumpers, and hair from standing side on in a wind tunnel.

It's their hair why can't they keep it all on their own heads.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
...God, I hope so! 'Working-class anger' is well overdue....

However punk was not actually working class was it, all the main players were middle class and it was all in way manufactured gash.

Real working class music I would class as Blues, Country (old style), Rockabilly, Ska, Oi, heavy metal.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Can't recall it ever filling the charts,always a minority cult EVEN IN THE 76/77 ERA! JUST TABLOID HYPE TBH,GREAT CONCERTS MIND YOU:sick:

All true but you can't blame a guy for some wishful thinking. Can't believe the anodyne turd that spews out of the radio these days.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
It's still 1970's in Woodingdean, and Ghazi's is still in Warren Road.

RedRob

come the revolution......
Mar 2, 2013
Pyongyang
However punk was not actually working class was it, all the main players were middle class and it was all in way manufactured gash.

Real working class music I would class as Blues, Country (old style), Rockabilly, Ska, Oi, heavy metal.

...Not sure about all the musical genres you've listed.....but I take your point. Tho' you can tell Mr.J.Lydon he's middle-class if you like....'cos I wouldn't! punk:

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Well i was a Punk in 78 and would still class myself as one now...stopped dressing as a punk in 85 but go to as many if not more "punk" gigs now than I ever did and most of them in Brighton, I would not call it punk like back in the day just music with attitude.

( My prefrance is mostly related to the "Anarcho punk" so covers a huge spectrum of music and poetry)

Bodular

Jul 9, 2012

Are they back then ?

Sounds like my neighbours son(woodingdean), did he have a multi coloured Mohican as well???

Dandyman

In London village.
Anyone who dresses like a 1970s Punk in 2013 is in fact a Teddy Boy.

northseagull

Dec 30, 2012
Thing is when a lot of us where younger and belonged to various tribes; Mod/Punk/Casuals/Goths whatever, you had to put in a bit of effort to find the clothes and music. These days kids can pretty much access any recorded music from the past 50 odd years via the internet - I know 16 year olds that like Johnny Cash and its not from their Dad. With greater via the web exposure trends come and go very quickly and the media picks up and turns fashion out a lot quicker. Punks not back, neither are any of the ideologies - kids have a lot more choice and can pick and choose fashions a lot easier.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here