Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the biggest tourist rip-off you know?

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
There's no place like NSC to vent your fury so here goes:

Just come back from a lovely week in Languedoc with the family to escape the gloom of an Austrian winter. The only downer? Our trip to the Pont du Gard, the magnificent Roman aqueduct outside Nîmes.

18€ to park! Didn't matter if it was for five minutes or five hours. Impossible to park in the roads around. An obscene amount IMHO.

My question to you - what's the worst tourist rip-off that you've experienced?

Miocene

Mar 23, 2011
Hastings
9 Euro for a coffee in Venice and that was the "cheap" one. Head away from the tourist areas and its slightly cheaper!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Currency exchange last year at Eurostar St Pancras.

1 Pound bought you 1.01 Euros.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Centerparcs. Apart from the great pool, its a rip off as you pay a lot and then pay again for nearly everything else. Expensive average grub and just ok accommodation. Horrible place.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
Another BIG vote for Venice. I'm only going to go back when they have finished it.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Agreed. Cafe Florian in St Mark's Square is the biggest rip off. I think they were going to try and charge the two of us 30 euros for a coffee there. I left.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Chessington and Thorpe Park you pay a reasonable amount fora family ticket, not cheap, and then have to pay for parking. I think the price should include 1 car free as you have problems getting to either without a car if you have a family.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Centerparcs. Apart from the great pool, its a rip off as you pay a lot and then pay again for nearly everything else. Expensive average grub and just ok accommodation. Horrible place.

I love Centreparcs, and we would go more if we could.

But it is incredibly expensive. The bills add up, and the stack of debit/card slips at the end of the holiday, add up to small fortune on top of the villa cost.

But great for cycling, no cars, and the kids are in heaven.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
Bodrum airport unless its changed food and drink by far the most expensive I've ever seen

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Disneyland Paris. Shit hole with bells on!

St marks sq, Venice as previously mentioned. To take a coach to the Tronchetto coach park costs 360 euros and you then have to pay 21 euros to park! Beat that for a rip off!

Isle of white ferry, the most expensive ferry crossing in the world (mile for mile)

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The Crystal Palace Stadium Tour - 2 shillings to get in and a free wooden rattle were the highlights of an atrocious tour that took in such delights as an almost completely empty trophy cabinet apart from one Zenith Data Systems Leyland Daf Auto Windscreen Cup, walking under a few damp, rotting, woodworn infested stands that you feared might collapse at any moment (hard hats supplied) and on into Speroni's Bistro for deep fried Argentinian horse buttock with Julian's special chilli mash before ending up in aisle 6 at Sainsburys where we were all treated to ginger snaps for pudding and told in no uncertain terms to piss off through the sliding doors at the front of the store without so much as a bye or leave.

'A travesty' said the Croydon Chronicle.

rdigs24

Southampton seagull
Jan 21, 2012
Southampton
Burger king at Sharm el Sheikh airport a couple of years back. Made the mistake of buying two adult and 2 kids meals on a debit card. When I looked at my statement the following week the greasy gits had charged me 70 quid once the Egyptian/UK exchange had taken place. We wouldn't have gone there but the only other choice was a restaurant (ahem) with a all day breakfast that looked that it had been there literally all day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here