Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

M25 Speed Cameras

May 9, 2008
Stanmore, London
Has anyone ever got a speeding ticket from one of these? I mean the Gasto ones on the overhead gantries and not the average speed ones usually through roadworks. I was traveling home after the game on Saturday going clockwise on the M25 and was flashed somewhere between the A3 and M4 exists. I was doing more than 80 but less than 100...

I thought they didn't work unless the speed limit signs were illuminated i.e. a variable speed limit was in place. ???

I drive this stretch of motorway nearly every weekend and have never been flashed before.

Guess I'll just be bricking it everytime I get some post over the next 2 weeks or so. :down:

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Last year went to Thorpe Park and my mate was in a hurry to get home quickly. We got flashed on the M25 as he was doing something like 100 mph. He thought none of it and we're still awaiting if he's got any points/fines :lolol:

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I read somewhere recently that the cameras havent been working properly for the last 2 years. So no one has ever been fined by the cameras over the gantries in the last 2 years. Apparently they are currently updating but money has run out and for now, no fines.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Have never heard of anyone getting done on those overheads, variable or otherwise, on western section of M25. Would be surprised if you get anything in post.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I cover the M23 -> M4 stretch of the M25 in both directions pretty regularly, and I may, ahem, occasionally stray above 70mph. I've never had a ticket.

That said, I've never noticed a flash for me or any other motorist either.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
About three years ago my brother rang up the police to ask if the cameras worked when the variable speed signs were off - the answer was no. Don't know if that's still the case.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
ive seen cars toeing it through that stretch south of Heathrow with out a blip, however seen them going off in the wet for marginal speeding. so i've long assumed they are set according to road/traffic conditions.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I saw one flash somebody's car the other week as I was travelling in the opposite direction. Didn't even realise there were cameras on that stretch.

May 9, 2008
Stanmore, London
Thanks for the replies. I feel slightly more reassured now. It flashed the car in front as well. I was really surprised as I've never seen this happen before. Fingers and toes crossed for the next 2 weeks!

It just shows that the speed awareness course I went on a couple of months ago worked a treat... :facepalm:

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I saw one flash somebody's car the other week as I was travelling in the opposite direction. Didn't even realise there were cameras on that stretch.

Same here. I always used to do the M25 clockwise so never noticed the cameras and have never (knowingly) been flashed, certainly not caught. However, recently ive started doing it ANIT-clockwise and regulaly see the camera between the M23 and Heathrow flashing at people going underneath it.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Hah, you learn something every day. I don't suppose if anyone knows whether the same is true of the M42 cameras?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I use the M25 regularly and have sometimes inadvertantly let my foot sit rather heavily on the accelerator without attracting the wrath of he who writes the speeding tickets. I will admit to being a little more attentive when the overhead signs are lit although my assumption that this means the cameras will be on has yet to be tested.

blackprince

Jul 16, 2007
GingerBeerMan "Are there speed camera warning signs on the stretch of road? Can't give you a ticket unless there are"

Not true, there is no requirement in law to have either static or mobile cameras signed. The guidelines issued by the Association of Chief Police Officers contain recommendations that signs are deployed on the approach to camera positions but they are merely that, guidelines. It would however, be unusual for a police force not to comply with the recommendations. There used to be a requirement to have highly visible cameras hence the normally yellow painted backs but that was also removed by the government a few years ago. A quick google of camera warning signs threw up this information.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
The poster that said they are only working when the variable speed limit is in use is correct. I have been through there loads(dont ask how fast I drive or the safety brigade will be on me) and never had a ticket.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here