Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can you re-heat takeaway chicken ?

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Wouldn't chance it. It's probably been re-heated about a dozen times already before you bought it.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
If it's chicken curry/chinese it would be fine i reckon but if its hideous kebab shop southern fried style chicken then no no no

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
If it's chicken curry/chinese it would be fine i reckon but if its hideous kebab shop southern fried style chicken then no no no

Agree with this, but I do have cast iron guts!

Watching me eat is like watching a builder load a cement mixer!!!

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Reheat anything as long as it is done thoroughly it will kill off any nasty bacteria that may have accumulated.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Question:

For the sake of a few quid is it really worth the possibility of being ill?

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Have re-heated rice on many occasions without any problems.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
NHS advice on reheating rice...

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/can-reheating-rice-cause-food-poisoning.aspx?CategoryID=51

Yes. You can get food poisoning from eating reheated rice. However, it's not the reheating that causes the problem but the way the rice has been stored before it was reheated.
How does reheated rice cause food poisoning?

Uncooked rice can contain spores of Bacillus cereus, a bacterium that can cause food poisoning. When the rice is cooked, the spores can survive.
If the rice is left standing at room temperature, the spores can grow into bacteria. These bacteria will multiply and may produce toxins (poisons) that cause vomiting or diarrhoea.
The longer cooked rice is left at room temperature, the more likely it is that the bacteria or toxins could make the rice unsafe to eat.
Tips on serving rice safely

• Ideally, serve rice as soon as it has been cooked.
  • If that isn't possible, cool the rice as quickly as possible (ideally within one hour).
  • Keep rice in the fridge for no more than one day until reheating.
  • When you reheat any rice, always check that the dish is steaming hot all the way through.
  • Do not reheat rice more than once.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Have re-heated rice on many occasions without any problems.

Exactly. People worry too much about these. I always reheat rice and dont do it fully either. I also, if reheat Chicken, probably don't reheat it ANYWHERE NEAR the advised level. I just warm it slightly if I don't fancy it cold.

I also have my scrambled eggs JUST cooked, and i mean JUST, so maybe my body just likes a challenge...

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
you could try ,but you might find yourself in the bed next to HRH

ferris_ferrit

Feb 1, 2011
I've always just popped Indian leftovers in the microwave and cooked them for about a minute so they are lukewarm. Yummy. Either I have a stomach of steel or re-heating food doesn't do anything untoward to you insides.

Did you eat the thing or not?!

el punal

From my catering days I seem to remember that you should be VERY careful about reheating cooked meat. Make sure that it is cooked again properly so it's piping hot to kill any nasty bugs. Never eat re-heated rice or this might happen to you . . . . .:sick:!!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here