Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have we got North Korea all wrong?

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
I mean,

nobody knows what goes on in there. Dennis Rodman just came out and said that the leader is a cool dude to hang with. So, do we have NK all wrong? Are the governments of the world spreading lies simply because they did not agree to peace with us?

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
You have a clear understanding of World politics, and who makes a fine embassador for your imterest.
Well done!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I know a North Korean guy. His family was allowed to live and work in Vietnam but had to check in at the embassy once a week and could have been recalled at any time. He revelled in the relative freedom he had in Vietnam but absconding wasn't an option as he still had family in North Korea; the intimation was that they would be in danger.

He was fairly reluctant to speak about his life there but did offer some insights. They have a highly censored version of the internet. The only foreign news was science related stories. Three to five years of military service is compulsory and following that a job is assigned. The guy I know was told he would be a 'business man' crushing his dream of being a fishmonger (seriously).

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
A majority of the things we hear about North Korea will be propaganda originating from South Korea, Japan & imperialist America who want the regime destroyed ASAP.

There are also documentaries secretly filmed by North Koreans on illicit mobile phones. No doubt there is propaganda against the regime but if you're suggesting there aren't serious problems in NK you're very misguided.

The lack of freedoms are very real. As are the recurrent famines.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
Heard on the radio yesterday that, One hung lo has decreed the people of North Korea can only have one of 28 haircuts (18 for women and 10 for men)that he decided on, funny thing is that his dodgy barnet isn't one of them.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Dynastic dictatorships are the way to go ! good on North Korea for persisting with the idea despite its obvous fallabilities.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Nothing to Envy: Real Lives in North Korea by Barbara Demick should put you straight.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I mean,

nobody knows what goes on in there. Dennis Rodman just came out and said that the leader is a cool dude to hang with. So, do we have NK all wrong? Are the governments of the world spreading lies simply because they did not agree to peace with us?

I am not sure I'd want to base foreign policy towards North Korea on any views expressed by Dennis Rodman ;-)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The country is extremely poor and decades of US sanctions have only made it poorer. Compared to nations with similar wealth, the levels of hunger are not as bad as we are lead to believe, and its achievements in education, technology and culture are admirable. All things considered, it's doing rather well considering how poor it is. I would imagine if it wasn't the major trade route between the South and China it would be treated with more respect.

I have never heard of any North Korean state controlled cultural events that are admirable, unless you like folk dancing, farmers bands and heroic revolutionary films.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
The country is extremely poor and decades of US sanctions have only made it poorer. Compared to nations with similar wealth, the levels of hunger are not as bad as we are lead to believe, and its achievements in education, technology and culture are admirable. All things considered, it's doing rather well considering how poor it is. I would imagine if it wasn't the major trade route between the South and China it would be treated with more respect.

No economic freedom, no career choice, no freedom of information, labour camps, torture, starvation. Doing rather well is perhaps an overstatement.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I suppose it depends if you like your personal freedoms or not. If you don't then yes, I am sure North Korea is a delightful place to live. Perhaps Mr Rodman should live there for a while and let us all know how he gets on.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I have never heard of any North Korean state controlled cultural events that are admirable, unless you like folk dancing, farmers bands and heroic revolutionary films.

My missus has put me right. Showtime is spectacular and therefore admirable. Its the hidden side that is criminal.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

How hearts of the loyal hardworking people of North Korea must soar when thay are told that their struggle and sacrifice has meant that the Great Leader has launched a new rocket which has gone higher and made a bigger bang than the last one ,making all their years of suffering and hunger worthwhile.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

This is in extremely bad taste. Read the UN literature and the testimonies of people who have escaped and you wouldn't be so full of praise. Read 'Escape from camp 14' about a young man who was born in prison because of a crime his grandad committed - it's an eye opener.

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
This is in extremely bad taste. Read the UN literature and the testimonies of people who have escaped and you wouldn't be so full of praise. Read 'Escape from camp 14' about a young man who was born in prison because of a crime his grandad committed - it's an eye opener.

Propoganda. Truth is, we will never really know what life is like in this country until it opens its doors. It could be a wonderful place to live, but right now we are relying on accounts from people who may have been there in the past and of course what the governments of the world are telling us.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
The prisons in all poor nations are horrific, why single out North Korea for this?

Because you are praising its cultural and technological achievements. If you read the various accounts, that were given independently and support each other perhaps you would reassess the tone in which you discuss NK 'culture'. Because its one of brutal prison camps, starvation, human rights abuses dreamt up in nightmares and a geopolitical landscape that is near impossible to tackle.

I'm currently on a train down to Brighton for the game and don't have the battery power on my phone to fully articulate just how revolting your praise of NK is. Quite frankly it disgusts me and I'll find time tomorrow to explain why.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here