Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is going to see The Stranglers - The Dome 14/3 ?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Who is going to see The Stranglers - The Dome 14/3 ?

4th year ia row and they are brilliant. Anyone been in the last 4 years or going ? Jet Black at 73 could make his last appearance with a dodgy heart so the 3 of the 4 members performing is something not to be missed.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I saw Hugh Cornwell the other year, if was sad seeing him try to play Stranglers classics on his own on an acoustic.... I imagine its equally sad missing Hugh's vocals ? Trouble is, the fall out is too big too big to repair.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Baz is an able replacement and been with the group for 9 years now. JJ's aggressive bass, Greenfield, one of the greatest keyboard players of all time and JB thumping the skins. It is a must see for me.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Saw them last year and thought they were thoroughly entertaining.

Also saw HC perform whole of Ratus at the Komedia a year or so back and enjoyed it.

Worth a see I say.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
It's over 20 years since I last saw The Stranglers. I saw them loads of times in the seventies and early eighties, loved them.

Seeing them without Hugh has never appealed - it always felt a bit 'Tribute Band' to me.

But if Jet Black is possibly finishing his time with the band I may be tempted. 73! I always thought that he was ridiculously old even back then.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Baz is an able replacement and been with the group for 9 years now. JJ's aggressive bass, Greenfield, one of the greatest keyboard players of all time and JB thumping the skins. It is a must see for me.

US spot on

see them in toulouse last april,nothing short of brilliant

as you say ,baz is very good and has a stage presence that gels perfectly with JJ

enjoy the gig mate

really hoping they come back to toulouse

The Stranglers - Go Buddy Go - YouTube

ezzoud

Jul 5, 2003
Went last year and going again this year even though Dave Greenfield looked like the sort of bloke who comes to fix the office photocopier.

"Alright Dave, got a paper jam that needs looking at"

"Hang on a minute mate, just got to play a bit of keyboards and I'll be right with you..."

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
Yep - I'll be there . Favourite group of all time. 3rd year running for me - missed the first year:facepalm:

No sure if Jet will be on the skins - do you know for sure that he will be playing?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
as much as i love the stranglers, i saw them at leicester last year and was really dissapointed.
could'nt quite help think they looked and sounded like a tribute act, mainly due to Baz Warne. i just don't see or connect him with the stranglers.

also saw them in 1997 with Paul Roberts , who i thought pulled it off, very energetic.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
One my most seen bands between 1977 and 1979.Saw them about 8 times in that period . Parted ways with them at the time of the Raven . Didn't like it or the direction they were going in. Always fancied seeing them again , but when Hugh left , that sort of made it's mind up for me.
Have seen other bands without the original singer and thoroughly enjoyed them. Dead Kennedys , Discharge , Misfits.
Saw The Misfits last year without the singer , and this year I am going to see the singer play a Misfits set without the Misfits . But the Stranglers without Hugh , nah , I think I'll cling on to those memories of great gigs at the Top Rank, Crawley Leisure Centre , Battersea Park and the Brighton Centre.

u'vebeenamexed

Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
One my most seen bands between 1977 and 1979.Saw them about 8 times in that period . Parted ways with them at the time of the Raven . Didn't like it or the direction they were going in. Always fancied seeing them again , but when Hugh left , that sort of made it's mind up for me.
Have seen other bands without the original singer and thoroughly enjoyed them. Dead Kennedys , Discharge , Misfits.
Saw The Misfits last year without the singer , and this year I am going to see the singer play a Misfits set without the Misfits . But the Stranglers without Hugh , nah , I think I'll cling on to those memories of great gigs at the Top Rank, Crawley Leisure Centre , Battersea Park and the Brighton Centre.

Each to their own but if you parted ways with The Stranglers after listening to The Raven (one of the best albums of all time) then I don't think you really got them. It was a great pity that Hugh left however they are still a great band to see live and they do a good amount of the early stuff you liked.

I also enjoyed seeing Hugh Cornwell support Blondie sometime ago , and his new album Totem & Taboo is worth a listen.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
it goes without saying,the stranglers are my favourite all time band

and i was one of the won't see them without hugh people

the last time i see them was in 1989

but last year i decided to go along

as they were in toulouse and it was a chance for my lad to see them

a little apprehensive that i'd gone back on what i said

but,boy they were so good

opened with burning up time and it was like the last 30 odd years hadn't happened

if you like the stranglers i urge you to go,you won't be disappointed

JJ on the bloody bass alone,is more than a reason

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012

This ^ seeing them at the fairfields and cannot wait . Last saw them a couple of years ago at the Apollo live gig and the sound was immense . Especially jj doing his aftershock blast with his bass !

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Stranglers were ****ing IMMENSE tonight. 9.5 A great show.

u'vebeenamexed

Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
It was great especially seeing Jet in the later stages (like bring on Vicente) however, it's a long time since I've been to a Stranglers gig and they didn't play - "Hanging Around" "5 Minutes" or "Walk On By" which are all usually bankers.

Haven't heard "English Towns" since about 1978 ! Good turn out as well.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Felt they were too rehearsed , too prog rock rick wakeman esk.
Did not enjoy them at all last night. Godfathers on the other hand were awesome, highlight of the night for me.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
It was great especially seeing Jet in the later stages (like bring on Vicente) however, it's a long time since I've been to a Stranglers gig and they didn't play - "Hanging Around" "5 Minutes" or "Walk On By" which are all usually bankers.

Haven't heard "English Towns" since about 1978 ! Good turn out as well.

No Hanging Around!

Shame about 5 Minutes too (classic JJ)

Remember them opening with that on The Raven tour

which songs did they do?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here