Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

is Laudrup's success a threat to us?

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
Not being controversial for the sake of it, but if we don't go up this year (still at least a decent chance we will make it) and as seems inevitable, a massive club come in for Laudrup after what he's done, would the Swansea chairman have Gus at the top of his list for replacements? Like us Swansea have a very defined style of playing and as the chairman has stated any new manager 'must' fit this way of playing and that's not negotiable, the list of possible replacements looks to me to be pretty tiny. Can't see Martinez going back even if Wigan went down, he's shown he should get a chance at a bigger club, so apart from Gus who is there who would tick their boxes? Unless we go up this year, would Gus realistically turn down the Swans who seem to me to be the Albion but 1-2 years ahead of where we are at now development wise and clearly they are establishing themselves as a decent mid table premiership club that's well run and which shares Gus's views on how football should be played. I hope he'd not take a short term view after what he's built here but wondered if anyone else views Laudrup's success yesterday as potentially far more threatening then all of the other rumours on here in the recent past as to which clubs might want GP and soon?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
No. If Laudrup did leave they'd probably go for another experienced manager from the Spanish top flight. They're in Europe now so I doubt they'd be falling over themselves to appoint a manager who's highest level is the Championship at this moment in time.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
No - I think not.

I believe when it does happen (and hopefully not for a few years yet) - it will
be to a premiership London club. That is my opinion.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
No, not the right character for Swansea- they want someone that's just happy to coach the team and Poyet would want to be too involved with other duties.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I'd be very surprised, I suspect that Poyet is too rumbustious a character for Swansea. You have to hand it to Huw Jenkins, amazing job that he's done, I can't think of a chairman who's steered his ship in such a consistent and successful way....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No, not the right character for Swansea- they want someone that's just happy to coach the team and Poyet would want to be too involved with other duties.
This.

Although if it means we get to Manager Calde quicker, :whistle:

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
to give him his due, Jenkins has done a cracking job and he seems to have very little personal ego which is refreshing change these days - seems to support his managers 100%, will spend when it is needed and recognises that ambitious managers will always want a bigger challenge and views that as a positive, not something to block. Definitely a club that shows us what can be achieved with stability and a strong ownership not swayed by short term issues and the similarities with the Albion and what TB trying to achieve is obvious.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
No threat at all. If Laudrup moved on, Poyet wouldn't even be on the radar.
Laudrup has taken over a ' fledgling ' Premiership side, already moved them to another level and won silverware in his first season. He has already laid down a marker for one of the ' top ' jobs and will now be watched carefully by chairmen throughout Europe.
Gus is a long way down the pecking order. A relative novice, still learning his craft at Championship level.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
no, because the presmies is flawed. we do not play the same way as Swansea, they play a faster tempo and look to get the ball forward with every pass, while we are content to merely hold the ball.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I think Poyet would be on their radar but it would be a risky job for him to take.

As much as I like Swansea I think they are possibly at their peak right now. Laudrup is clearly a very good manager and has done a great job this season, it would be a huge job to follow and try and improve on. I would think they also run the risk of losing players like Vorm, Williams, Pablo, Chico and Michu to bigger clubs this summer who are crucial to them. Their chairman has admirably stated that they won't spend money they don't have so can they actually do better than 9th in the top division and winning a cup without spending millions? It could end up being a job that would damage a managers reputation if he should struggle with him and then lose any possiblity of taking over Spurs or Chelsea in the future.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
no, because the presmies is flawed. we do not play the same way as Swansea, they play a faster tempo and look to get the ball forward with every pass, while we are content to merely hold the ball.

Exactly my thoughts. We are more like Swansea under Brendan Rodgers (hold possession and have many passes in your own half and work to move the opposition around the pitch) than Swansea under Laudrup (who move the ball forward quickly and are less afraid to play a longer ball).

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Exactly my thoughts. We are more like Swansea under Brendan Rodgers (hold possession and have many passes in your own half and work to move the opposition around the pitch) than Swansea under Laudrup (who move the ball forward quickly and are less afraid to play a longer ball).

I think you are seeing what you want to. This Swansea is strengthened from last seasons' and it is no suprise they have improved. They were very good under Rodgers last season.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Laudrup will stay there until at least Summer 2014. The way he's doing all he can to publicly get Michu to stay, shows his own loyalty.
He wasn't an amazing success as a manager in Spain, he's still young, so why job hop now? Build up a great record at one club first, as he is doing.

In the meantime, Swansea can feed us class like Orlandi.

In summary, we gain, and there is no threat.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
No threat at all. If Laudrup moved on, Poyet wouldn't even be on the radar.
I think he would, but not at the top of the list, like the last two times the Swansea job has been open.

Laudrup will stay there until at least Summer 2014. The way he's doing all he can to publicly get Michu to stay, shows his own loyalty.
He wasn't an amazing success as a manager in Spain, he's still young, so why job hop now? Build up a great record at one club first, as he is doing.
He did an excellent job at Getafe and a good but brief one at Mallorca. He wasn't an amazing success in Russia, but now doing a good job again. He's shown a willingness to move throught his career as player and manager, if he really does get offered the Real Madrid job turning it down to stay at Swansea would be by some distance the least likely thing that's ever happened.

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
Laudrup ticks all the boxes for clubs like Chelsea, Madrid, Man City etc that want a name, whose media friendly and one that all of the players will respect - I can easily see him at anyone of these clubs soon - growing up Laudrup was definitely in the top 5 of my era as one of the best players in the world - his managerial record is fine, if he managed these elite types of teams and players from the start of his career his results would be up there with the very best so his time at much lesser teams like Getafe, Mallorca needs to remembered in that light as doing as well as can be expected with very limited resources. If a top 6 English club or a major La Liga club came in for him for next season there is no way in the world he will be staying in Swansea when, great as it is what they have achieved, they have definitely reached pretty much their best level now. The Swans chairman recognises that reality so Laudrup may sign a new contract for next season but that is simply to ensure the club get maximum compensation when he moves on.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Only way I see Gus, or indeed any other Championship Manager, getting into the Prem is either by taking their own team up or being drafted in to one of the struggling teams. All the rest (which obv includes Swansea) generally only take Prem league experience or go overseas

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here