Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Broken leg - any advice?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I've had a bit of bad luck after snapping my tibia and fibular whilst in New Zealand. I was going too fast on the luge and lost it on the final bend! I've had a titanium rod inserted between my knee and ankle and I'm due to be discharged from Rotorua Hospital on Monday.
I've been advised not to fly home for 3 weeks but could stay out here longer if necessary as my wife is with me, the kids have left home and work isn't a problem. I'm not allowed to weight bear on the bad leg for 6 weeks and then stay for a further 6 weeks in plaster. So I hope to be out of plaster in time for the play-offs.
I want to get fit as soon possible and get walking again and be able to get up to my seat in the East Stand Upper.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions or just feels like taking the piss feel free. It's nice to have NSC with me whilst away.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Be thankful you didn't kill a child.

:shrug:

I broke my leg in two places and was out of action for ages.
I was also a long way from home and got no visitors, which was a bit of a bummer, I didn't know anyone.
After the 'how the f**k did this happen' and 'why me stage' I gradually settled down to reading and became a crossword addict; crossword, not those stupid puzzle type things for people who can't do crosswords.
It is surprising how much you can learn once you get into them, anyway as soon as physically possible I got into a wheel chair with the aid of crutches and then I was was off all over the place exploring the buildings using the lifts and spending days out in the local area.
I went to pubs and cinemas and went shopping etc. it gave me a different outlook on people who have to use them all the time, that's for sure and the difficulties they face.
My shoulder, back and arm muscles ended up huge so when it came to using crutches full time and putting some weight back on the old leg the top half of my body could more than compensate.
As soon as I was able to use stairs and go to the loo unaided they kicked me out, though I was glad to go.
The body will take it's own time to do what it does and no amount of stressing will change that so just go along for the ride.:thumbsup:

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
I've had a bit of bad luck after snapping my tibia and fibular whilst in New Zealand. I was going too fast on the luge and lost it on the final bend! I've had a titanium rod inserted between my knee and ankle and I'm due to be discharged from Rotorua Hospital on Monday.
I've been advised not to fly home for 3 weeks but could stay out here longer if necessary as my wife is with me, the kids have left home and work isn't a problem. I'm not allowed to weight bear on the bad leg for 6 weeks and then stay for a further 6 weeks in plaster. So I hope to be out of plaster in time for the play-offs.
I want to get fit as soon possible and get walking again and be able to get up to my seat in the East Stand Upper.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions or just feels like taking the piss feel free. It's nice to have NSC with me whilst away.

As someone who suffered severe knee ligament and cartilage damage at the tender age of 12. Have patience.

I really regret not listening to my doctor when he said "wait until next year, not next season". I started pre-season training 5 months later and was out until February.

Don't make it worse for yourself, take as much time and care as you need, you'll be thanking yourself in the long-term rather than regretting it in the long term.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Feel for you change at Barnham! Did my TIb and Fib some years ago and have the same rod from knee to ankle. Still suffer a little from swelling some years later. The key will be to exercise when you are fit. Didnt do enough of that myself and my entire ankle area and lower leg remain a bit weak. The worst point is when you start to get verticle and the blood rushes to the stricken area. That is pain! I have also done that 'dry luge' run in Rotorua. If I were you, I would head up to Hawkes Bay and get chauffered around the vineyards for a few weeks! Craggy Range is my recommendation.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Limp

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Feel for you change at Barnham! Did my TIb and Fib some years ago and have the same rod from knee to ankle. Still suffer a little from swelling some years later. The key will be to exercise when you are fit. Didnt do enough of that myself and my entire ankle area and lower leg remain a bit weak. The worst point is when you start to get verticle and the blood rushes to the stricken area. That is pain! I have also done that 'dry luge' run in Rotorua. If I were you, I would head up to Hawkes Bay and get chauffered around the vineyards for a few weeks! Craggy Range is my recommendation.

Thanks OzMike and jasetheace and also others of you.
I certainly intend to make the most of my situation and learn to appreciate the challenges of others.
The mention of blood rushing to the stricken area in the post above has been most valuable. I've been suffering terrible pain for a few days the moment I get vertical, so that is very reassuring to hear as the nurses looked a bit vague when I mentioned it.

The other less technical suggestions also put a smile on my face and make me feel closer to home. Thank you all.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
After a triple break, including tib and fib, whilst playing rugby some years back, I will say one thing, take the physio seriously, it will form the basis of your future mobility. I know several guys at the rugby club who took it easy whilst in recovery and they suffer aches and pains still to this day.

Thus is one occasion where no pain no gain is actually very appropriate.... the standing vertical needs to be worked through a little each day.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
Dude, i suffered a serioius knee injury playing rugby. Trust the physio and dont try to do too much too soon! i was billy big bollocks, ignored the physio and decided to start playing again before i was properly healed up. ended up doing it again. Not clever!

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Sorry to hear about your accident.
Do you look like Shelley Rudman when kitted up
Google Image Result for http://www.thekingofshavescompany.com/corporate/uploads/1/Shelley_standing_1.jpg

As for your kids leaving home at a time just cos you've had an accident, I find this astounding. Anything to get out of pushing the wheelchair, at least you have your wife to push you.

I hear that a couple of people in the upper East are relieved that they wont get tea thrown over them between now and the playoffs when The Albion score,
Plus apparently there is a Gay Rozzer smiling like a Cheshire Cat.:D

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I broke my leg in two places

Only me that's mildly disappointed that this was actually a true story and not the set-up line to the old Tommy Cooper gag, "well don't go to those places then."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here