Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How have Brighton paid for the new stadium and academy ?

FinchleyEagle

Nov 19, 2012
Genuinely interested.

One of you stated it was a £29m academy in another post, and I was lambasted (rather lamely I thought) for going off topic, but I guess the Amex cost way more than that, so both together thats a shitload of cash, and my understanding is that you went bankrupt in 1997 and lost the Goldstone (happy to be corrected here if not so) and then were at the Withdean, which are not the environs of a cash rich club I would say.

So is it a benefactor a la Abramovich, a shedload of debt (this would explain losing £8m a year ??) or something else ?

Not taking the piss at all, just wondered how you did it, because we could certainly do with some of that !!

Cheers

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
We've never gone bankrupt/into admin.

We're bankrolled by a rich local businessman, whose family has been on the board since the 70s. :thumbsup:

We're not really losing £8m a season. *cough*

Thanks for your interest in the super Seagulls.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Tony Bloom, lifelong fan with family history in club.

Interest free loan that converts to shares if not paid back by 2020 (I think?)

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Your understanding is wrong, the club didn't go bankrupt.

There is a wealthy owner now, who has paid for the ground and training ground on a long term interest free loan.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Basically we are considerably richer than you

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Put simply our chairman and his family have been life long fans, yes he is very wealthy and he put up his own cash. Yes BHA owe him the money but he expects that to remain the case long after he has gone. There is no repayment plan. Yes you would like some of that but you can't have it. Needless to say he is a businessman and views it as a long term family investment.

No we didn't go bankrupt, never have done.

See you on the way past.......

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
As far as I am aware, the only person to have anything written off was Bill Archer when he signed over his share (49.5%) of the club. How much he made from the eventual sale/redevelopment of the Goldstone and interest/fines on the loans he engineered is anyones guess.

I'm not sure building infrastructure to secure the future of the club could be described as 'a la Abramovich'. If you are referring to the losses, then that covers over 90% of the professional clubs.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Tony won the Euromillions three weeks running & the Australian state on the forth week! Been saving for a while :)

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
As far as I am aware, the only person to have anything written off was Bill Archer when he signed over his share (49.5%) of the club. How much he made from the eventual sale/redevelopment of the Goldstone and interest/fines on the loans he engineered is anyones guess.

I'm not sure building infrastructure to secure the future of the club could be described as 'a la Abramovich'. If you are referring to the losses, then that covers over 90% of the professional clubs.
Bill Archer didn't do too badly out of it either, bought the club for £50 sold the ground for £7m.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The 8 million thing has been jumped on by many palace on here who don't understand the way we're running. I'm sure BLOOM was well aware of the outgoings and is a shrewd enough businessman to know what he's doing. Our aim to meet FFP is to reduce that loss to . 5million. We wouldn't have just signed a 2mil striker or tried to sign a 2mil defender if there was any danger. Not all football clubs are run as poorly as many of the recent administration cheats..

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i am taking the piss when i suggest the OP ought to concern themselves with how long the current CP owners will sustain the club, they wont invest in the acedemy (despite its success) and wont invest in the stadium (how long till a stand is condemned?).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That interest free loan from Tony for building the ground... its unsecured. Thats important that is.

It's also ring fenced. When the Southampton chairman died a couple of years ago, Tony was asked what would happen if the same thing happened to him. His said his family wouldn't be able or want to claim back his loan.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
The 8 million thing has been jumped on by many palace on here who don't understand the way we're running. I'm sure BLOOM was well aware of the outgoings and is a shrewd enough businessman to know what he's doing. Our aim to meet FFP is to reduce that loss to . 5million. We wouldn't have just signed a 2mil striker or tried to sign a 2mil defender if there was any danger. Not all football clubs are run as poorly as many of the recent administration cheats..

What I don't understand is a £8 mill shortfall for this season and next, especially on your turnover ?
I'm sure all will be revealed when the accounts are made public.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Tony switched to the Halifax, including his direct debits!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here