Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why have the white British left London ?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Something quite remarkable happened in London in the first decade of the new millennium. The number of white British people in the capital fell by 620,000 - equivalent to the entire population of Glasgow moving out.

The consequence, as revealed by the latest census, is that white Brits are now in a minority in London, making up just 45% of its residents.

So where have they gone to - and why did they leave?

I've been analysing and mapping the census data, and what emerges is a much more positive story than some headlines would make you think.

The movement of the white British is often characterised as white flight - the indigenous population forced out of their neighbourhoods by foreign migrants. That may be part of the story, but I think the evidence suggests it is also about working class aspiration and economic success

Full story

BBC News - Why have the white British left London?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
A story of aspiration, my arse. The reasons are obvious. Immigrants are attracted to areas where their fellow countrymen have settled. They feel comfortable amongst their own, with shared experiences and common language.
As their numbers grow, so the balance in local schools change and children from indigenous families start to feel ostracized and parents resentful of the shift in emphasis within the schools. The ' white British ' normally comfortable in mixed race communities, feel the balance moving too far one way and start to feel outnumbered and under pressure. They start to have different religions rammed down their throats with mosques and temples springing up everywhere and all they see is a massive pressure and diminution of local services.
If they can afford to relocate, they do. They vote with their feet.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
I gather there are huge areas of Spain, France and other areas outside of these isles where the Brits have taken over.
They are wanting their English pubs, schools where English is taught etc etc.

Oh sorry, you were talking about non-whites. My mistake.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Allthough statistically possible as white British residents is below 50% I very much doubt they are a minority. You really think that 46+% all belong to one other ethnic group!?

That's far too sensible for this discussion.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
They've moved out to within commuting distance or further afield to enjoy the good life.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Allthough statistically possible as white British residents is below 50% I very much doubt they are a minority. You really think that 46+% all belong to one other ethnic group!?

Sorry fella, dont shoot me I did not write it. Copy & Paste from BBC - see link

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
A story of aspiration, my arse. The reasons are obvious. Immigrants are attracted to areas where their fellow countrymen have settled. They feel comfortable amongst their own, with shared experiences and common language.
As their numbers grow, so the balance in local schools change and children from indigenous families start to feel ostracized and parents resentful of the shift in emphasis within the schools. The ' white British ' normally comfortable in mixed race communities, feel the balance moving too far one way and start to feel outnumbered and under pressure. They start to have different religions rammed down their throats with mosques and temples springing up everywhere and all they see is a massive pressure and diminution of local services.
If they can afford to relocate, they do. They vote with their feet.
This all day long ^^^^^
You only have to look at the comments section , about 2000 people calling the journalist a c*nt and 5 saying " londons really cool, i bumped knuckles with a rasta last week".

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I read something the other day too about stats becoming skewed due to the number of mixed race families. Think of all those white people that start an inter-racial relationship and have children, the children will be classed as non-white. As London becomes a more integrated community then the number of mixed race families and children grows dunnit??

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well, I'm one the 620,000. My reason was that London was becoming a chore. I started to find it more and more frustrating and a rip off. It became hard work. I still go back a fair bit, mainly for certain restaurants, bars and definately clothes shopping; Brighton is piss poor for clothes. Whilst I missed the metropolitan buzz I did not ever miss the city itself. This said had my wife got a job she applied for a year ago I'd have moved back to Camden.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here