Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloody gout.... any advice from fellow sufferers?

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Been suffering for several years but the last few months have been terrible. The attacks used to come infrequently but now they are almost weekly and spreading to my knees, hand(see attached) and elbow as well as the normal very painful feet.

The doc advised a drug called Alopurinol, as a daily preventative measure but I've been told I need to be free of gout for 2 weeks before I can start to take it. I just don't get 2 weeks respite.

Oh, stopping booze has not proved to be the answer!
IMG_0865.JPG

Don't get me started

One Nation under CCTV
Jul 24, 2007
Before you go down the Alopurinol route look at what you eat. This drug is for life and if you give it up the gout comes back worse than ever, i have struggled with this for years and now control it with diet. Look at the link here http://www.ukgoutsociety.org/docs/2009FinalDietsheet.pdf

Also drink loads of water and give up, bitter (sorry) offal such as liver and kidneys as well as oily fish, spinach and cauliflower seem to kill me as well.

Good luck but don't expect a quick fix

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with the cherries as well

Google Superfit cherry suppliment, it seems to work

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
ask your GP for a course of colchicine (google it for info and to prove to the doc that you know what you are taljing about). It will give you the shits but should give you the respite that you need within 48 hours
It is a drug that is useful for occasional sufferers who dont want to be on a drug for life like me.
I think the long term solution sounds right for you as you get it way worse than I do. Do look at your diet though. Any number of things could bring on a bout or make it worse. I cut out all dairy products and it helps me a lot.Good luck!

I hate friggin gout. Everyone assumes you're a pisshead whereas I am effectively teetotal. Doesn't stop people being "humourous" at your expense though! :rant:

Sargey

Jan 27, 2006
Portslade
Good advice so far....agree with cherries as well

My Doc gave me Diclofenac and some painkillers which did the trick...I also have a packet of the 25mg Voltarol painkillers (strong, can only take 2 a day) around in an emergency as they have diclofenac in them and they give some form of relief until you can get to the docs

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
Colchicine is the best for acute gout, it's like a bomb going off in your stomach but it sorts out the pain in a few days. I have had to take it 3 times so far in the last few years, I now take allopurinol and even though I have to take less than the recommended daily dose because of the other stuff I take I have not had an attack since. My gout was actually caused by other medication I have to take, circle of medication.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I sympathise greatly - my dad had gout in his knee for years. I remember going to the RSCH with him once and they drained over a pint of green guck from his knee.

Ultimately his was cured by having a knee replacement op.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I used to suffer with it badly in my right ankle. Every couple of weeks. I used to drink fairly heavily but have since cut down.

Get some colchicine and keep in the cupboard for emergencies. It's fantastic stuff. Ive also got stockpiles of diclofenac and naproxen as well. I used to take allopurinol but I have weened myself off it and touch wood I haven't had an attack for about a year.

I feel your pain. It really is excruciating. I'd rather break bones then have another attack.

It is probably a trigger food that you are eating that is causing it, it's just a case of figuring out what it is.

Alcohol is an obvious starter but lots of red meat can start it too as well as shell fish.

Just drink plenty of water to keep your kidneys working well as it helps stop the build up of the uric acid.

albie_noobs

Jul 25, 2011
Newhaven
I had it for several years slowly creeping up from my ankles to my knees, went to see a rheumatologist that prescribed Allopurinol. They do recommend you don't take it during an attack but I was at my wits end so took it, it didn't get any worse and after about a month I was pain free.
That was 2 years ago now, I take 200mg a day and haven't had an attack since. The other drugs mentioned (diclofenac, colchicine and Naproxen) are anti inflammatory's and just control the pain, no long term cure.
The rheumatologist also drained the fluid and gave me a steroids injection just to get me through the first few weeks so I strongly recommend you see one. If you can't wait go to A&E, they may be able to set you up with an emergency appointment.
Good luck with whatever course of action you take, I know how it feels, all the best

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
The uric acid particles that cause it look like viscous spiky barbs under the microscope. It's a form of arthritis so, as you have all said, a good non steroidal anti inflammatory will work. In extremis some doctors will literally wash out the crystals with saline injected into the joint...need a very forward thinking medic there.

I stopped drinking altogether. Cured me. Bit radical though..

Nice watch on the OPs good wrist there...Tag Huer formula 1?

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
ask your GP for a course of colchicine (google it for info and to prove to the doc that you know what you are taljing about). It will give you the shits but should give you the respite that you need within 48 hours
It is a drug that is useful for occasional sufferers who dont want to be on a drug for life like me.
I think the long term solution sounds right for you as you get it way worse than I do. Do look at your diet though. Any number of things could bring on a bout or make it worse. I cut out all dairy products and it helps me a lot.Good luck!

I hate friggin gout. Everyone assumes you're a pisshead whereas I am effectively teetotal. Doesn't stop people being "humourous" at your expense though! :rant:

This is what i was given when i had gout and it works a treat.
It can upset your stomache, but its good stuff and works very fast. Have a look at this link Colchicine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good luck pal

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Some nasty drug reactions with colchicine and other meds going around at the moment. Would be wary of it if you're taking other drugs already.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Been suffering for several years but the last few months have been terrible. The attacks used to come infrequently but now they are almost weekly and spreading to my knees, hand(see attached) and elbow as well as the normal very painful feet.

The doc advised a drug called Alopurinol, as a daily preventative measure but I've been told I need to be free of gout for 2 weeks before I can start to take it. I just don't get 2 weeks respite.

Oh, stopping booze has not proved to be the answer!
View attachment 39463

Just to thank everyone so much for all their experiences and advice. You have helped more than I can say. Just love NSC at times like this.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here