Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Very basic computer question

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I've had my desktop PC for more than six years and it has pretty much reached the end of its useful life, so I'm going to buy a new one.

Is there any advantage at all in buying another desktop PC or am I better off just getting a laptop? I don't need a gaming system or anything like that, the games I play should be fine on a laptop. But would a desktop be more hard-wearing and last longer?

I don't know much about this subject as is probably all too obvious from the question - so glad of any expert advice.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
A laptop is so much easier than a desktop, I have both in my house and the only reason the desktop will last longer than my laptop is because the desktop never, ever gets turned on.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Unless you want a 27" screen, get a laptop. Or a tablet computer.

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
I had the same dilema when my desk top reached end of life - got a laptop - will never go back to a desktop as the laptop is so versatile - I now also have a note book for couch/bed net surfing as the laptop gets a bit heavy and hot after a while - probably get a tablet as well in near future

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if your not interested in games, then laptops are decent. nowadays they are decent for alot of games too if you turn down the quality or not action games. but tis a fair point about "lasting" longer on the desktop machine, need to be more mindfull of how you treat a laptop, and avoid spillages!

one thing to consider is your 6 year old computer has not reached the end of it usful life, if all you are doing is browsing and a few games/letters to the council. the OS and disk will be clogged up no doubt, to fixing it up by uninstall anything you dont use and de-frag the drive would return it to near new. you probably just want a new one though.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I've had my desktop PC for more than six years and it has pretty much reached the end of its useful life, so I'm going to buy a new one.

Why do you think it has reached the end of it's useful life. Not working or not able to do what you want now? Would it be feasible to update it ?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Laptops do the job just as good as desktops these days.

The main drawbacks with laptops is that they're a lot harder to repair or upgrade and they also battery life diminishes over time. If your screen breaks, the cost of replacing it makes it pointless. Keyboards are difficult to replace if they get dirty or spillages.

If you're good at looking after things, go for a laptop.

I had a screen replaced on my wife's laptop for £30 around a year or two ago. Place by Brighton station. Would recommend them.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Unless you want a 27" screen, get a laptop.

You can attach a large monitor to a laptop if you want, plus a separate keyboard and mouse (all of which he probably owns anyway).

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Why do you think it has reached the end of it's useful life. Not working or not able to do what you want now? Would it be feasible to update it ?

I'm working on a 6 year old PC that my wife "handed down" to me when she got a super-duper new one. Does everything I need, but it was reasonably high-spec when originally bought. Anyway, it's lasted longer than Evesham that sold it to us!

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex

It's bastard slow, doesn't play all kinds of video in games and the fan sounds like a jetplane taking off. I suppose I could update it (I did add some memory a while ago which helped) but I feel that if a laptop will do pretty much the same things and is portable then that's probably the way to go.

Thanks for all the advice. Now I just have to decide which laptop to buy....

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Is there any advantage at all in buying another desktop PC or am I better off just getting a laptop?

if you want to knock one out in bed i would go for a laptop.
reinstalling a desktop in the bedroom every time you feel frisky is a pain in the backside.

i know its not technical advice but if you have a pro and con checklist as any serious buyer will have, you will be able to put a tick next to laptop in this section.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
The only reason I would use a desktop any more is to have multiple screens to do my work. I have 4 screens at work, so when I'm working at home that is a bit of a drawback. Other than that, I don't use my desktop anymore. Working at home involves lying on the sofa with the laptop usually with sport on the TV, no problem, and I get loads of work done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here