Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hobgobblin

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Living in swindon try Arkells brewery they do a number of different brews try them all and see which takes your fancy, if they do a tour its a good opportunity to try all the options. With ale its difficult to give recomendations as its a more of a personal choice thing, go to the supermarkets and pick up a variety of beers and try them some you win some you lose but then stick to the ones you like.

Knightsworld

Aug 19, 2003
WSU, just below the seagull.
art_lagerboy_whatsthematter_800x.jpg

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I only discovered Hobgoblin a few months back. Absolutely heavenly nectar (up there with Fuller's London Porter and Dark Star Expresso Stout in terms of it's heavenlyness). Word of warning - do not buy it in cans - it tastes poor compared to the bottle stuff. Sainsburys often have the bottles on offer (8 x 500ml for a tenner) and spAsda do 4 x 500ml bottles for a lady godiva.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I gave up on lager quite a few years back. Much prefer cider or beer. Tesco have a variety of bottled beers - even found one approx 8.2abv - and they are 3 for £5.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
My parents hail from Witney, home of the Wychwood brewery, where this was born. A couple of years ago my dad and I did the tour, it was something silly like a tenner to get in, with complimentary tasters and a goody bag of booze to take home. Not a bad way to kill an afternoon, if you don't mind the 4 hour round trip.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Butcombe Brunel IPA - if its bottles you are after.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a beer mat of this on my notice board at home, I use it to castigate my son and his friends when they are round here drinking lager..... I flourish it like a ref with a yellow card,.... you can imagine the response I get.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
KingGoblin is on offer at Morrisons at the mo and comes in at a nice 6.6 abv. Only about 160/170p as well.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I went off lager last summer after 17 years of Stella, then fosters and carling etc. I used to hate cider but I now I love it and am currently working my way through the middle farm shop on the a27!!!!!

I've been trying various different beers recently as I don't seem to sleep well at all when I've been drinking cider. Harvey's is ok but I can only have a couple before it tastes a bit bland and samey. I really like the taste of Doombar but when I drank it for the night last Saturday I must've had 8 or 9 pints and went home quite sober.

The best I've found that I adored was called Golden Gate which I found in the Black Horse in Rottingdean but haven't ever seen it again, unfortunately I can't even remember the brewery that made it..

I will find one, its not as if there isn't enough choice

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Not a fan of it, there's a plethora of ales out there that are better. I'm guessing if you're switching from lager you could start off at the Pale Ales. Or if you're after bitter, Banks at Aldi is stupidly cheap at 99p, I lived near the Brewery at University.
Out of Aldi (sounds like a cheap film), try any IPA and tell us what you think. Avoid the supermarket own brands and buy bottles. Avoid the Badger range too, they're a bad brewery.

Plenty of Harveys too. And Dark Star . . and . . . .

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if you like the Hobgoblin, you'll probably find just about anything in the Pale Ale and Golden Ale styles agreeable. you might find the odd one not to your taste, but drinkable. try the Badgers range, and if your in Swindon i expect your'll get Oxford Gold which is nice.

most of all, i will heartly recommend the wheat beers, Erdinger is the drink of the gods.

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
untitled.png

This stuff takes some beating.

Get it in most supermarkets couple of quid a bottle, but well worth it :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here