Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gay Marriage - The Vote

The vote is for the creation of Gay Marriage...

• Total voters

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The vote on Gay Marriage comes up in the House of Commons today.

Around 120 Tory MPs are expected to vote against it, and a further 50 abstain. The majority of Lib Dems and Labour are expected to vote for it (around 20 Labour MPs are expected to abstain). This is a free vote in the Commons today; no party whip.

But the all-important vote is from NSC. Given the chance, how would you vote?

Lush

Mods' Pet
050213-MATT-web_2470899a.jpg

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Don't really see why the gays would want to be part of an institution that in some cases actively rails againsst them, bit like a black man wanting to join the Ku Klux Klan and I do actually have a bit of a problem with the government forcing an institution to go against it's wishes on matters such as these but if they want it I vote aye. Plus the church is always trying to force it's opinion on others so f*** 'em, let the benders in I say.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
I don't care if a man and a man want to get married or a woman and a woman want to get married. They should, for will purposes has the same rights as a same sex couple who are married. ie: if one of them should die the partner should 'get everything'.

I did however think that was what a civil partnership was?

I don't think any religion should be forced to do it. Nor should they be banned. It’s up to that religion not the state.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've yet to hear an argument against legalising gay marriage that holds up to any scrutiny.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I've yet to hear an argument against legalising gay marriage that holds up to any scrutiny.

Try this one.

If you believe in God, you will believe that he made man and woman. You will further believe that the reason for marriage is to create a holy union to be blessed with children.

Whilst I can understand the need for some pairs of blokes or women to show their devotion for one another in a civil partnership, surely what they do has nothing to do with the intentions of a Christian marriage?

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
I vote we get rid of marriage and instead have civil partnerships for anyone who wants one.

What if people want to get married?

Why would you give with one hand and then take with the other? Why not have... both?

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't care if a man and a man want to get married or a woman and a woman want to get married. They should, for will purposes has the same rights as a same sex couple who are married. ie: if one of them should die the partner should 'get everything'.

I did however think that was what a civil partnership was?

I don't think any religion should be forced to do it. Nor should they be banned. It’s up to that religion not the state.

The problem is that "civil partnership" is not marriage, it is set aside as being something special for gay people because they can't have marriage. It creates, for lack of a better term, a class system. Gay couples aren't married like straight people, just "civil partners". Allowing prejudices to persist because "their union isn't like a proper marriage".

Marriage is older than record. It isn't intrinsically linked to any religion, and each religion has their own rules and rituals. Legalising gay marriage is not interfering with religion, refusing to legalise it on religious grounds is religion interfering with law.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Try this one.

If you believe in God, you will believe that he made man and woman. You will further believe that the reason for marriage is to create a holy union to be blessed with children.

Whilst I can understand the need for some pairs of blokes or women to show their devotion for one another in a civil partnership, surely what they do has nothing to do with the intentions of a Christian marriage?

I see what you think you are trying to say but the fact is we are hardly in a position where the the world needs populating. I lean slightly towards the church here in some repects but the argument you use is so weak I had to post my differences with you.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Try this one.

IF I believed in god, it would be a personal belief, and not one that should be imposed on society. My religious beliefs are mine and not the basis for whether or not the law allows other people to share their lives.

Christians do not own marriage. Marriage is not exclusively a religious institution, and throughout history there has been a multitude of reasons for people to marry, not just procreation.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here