Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Official Site] Albion Sign Emil Asmundssen

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Icelandic Under-19 international Emil Asmundsson has joined Albion on a two-and-a-half-year development contract, until 2015.
The 18-year-old midfielder joined from national league side Fylkir in his homeland and has already joined up with Simon Rusk’s youth team, hoping to make his debut on Saturday.
Asmundssen told seagulls.co.uk, “It means a lot to me to be joining Albion, as it is a big chance at a big club. The atmosphere here is great and the club is really progressing.
“Compared to the football in Iceland it is a better level so this is a big step for me and I’m looking forward to the challenge.”
Asmundsson has featured six times for Fylkir, and scored one goal, which caught the eye of the club’s recruitment system.
Albion’s academy manager John Morling said of the Seagulls’ latest acquisition, “Emil came via the recruitment department and impressed on trial, he was playing in the Icelandic league which is a good level for someone his age, plus he is representing his country at Under-19s.
“He is a midfielder who has lots of energy and we feel he is a player with a real chance of playing in the first team in two or three years.”
Head of football operations David Burke believes the recent signings of Vitalijs Maksimenko and Asmundsson are signs of the club’s long-term plan coming together.
“Bringing Emil to the club is part of our bigger strategy in recruitment longer-term, identifying top talents for the future.
“It is the recruitment of talent that we can develop for the future, so Emil and Maksi are signs that the recruitment process is happening.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here