Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Deadline day - who's on the move? [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
10:01am
Not all talk was of*transfers. Or indeed the Sheffield Wednesday game. The Sky Sports reporter took*two-and-a-half hours to get here through heavy traffic on a mission to ask Gus if he was going to*Chelsea. But Gus wasn't here.*

9:58am
The name was Matthew Upson and Oatway said he was one of several players who had been looked at.

9:55am
Andy Naylor threw one name at Oatway. No doubt he will be tweeting and/or reporting ASAP.

9:51am
Oatway feels Albion can cope in defence at Hillsborough with what they have now but, listening to him, I think I'd be surprised if no one came in today.

9:39am
Starting to look like could be a long day. Hunt goes on for a "high calibre" defender.

9:37am
Oatway: "There were a couple of calls being made so I got the short straw to come and see you lot."

9:35am
Change of plan. Charlie Oatway is taking questions as Gus is elsewhere "doing some business".

9:34am
Just to clarify, we always have a press conference here on a Thursday morning. The level of turnout from the media varies. Today's is busier than normal but not as well-attended as those before the FA Cup ties against Newcastle and Arsenal

9:32am
Right then - JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOWS OF THE PAST
Albion boss Mark McGhee was beaten by his old mate Gordon Strachan in a bid to sign Dion Dublin as the first January window came to an end. The Leicester striker went to Celtic, where Strachan was in charge. McGhee, on* tight budget,*also missed out on Neil Shipperley (Sheffield United), Danny Dichio (Preston), Lee Barnard (Spurs) and Tom Brighton (Clyde) as he strived to add firepower to a side heading for relegation from the Championship. Cruelly, the month ended with a reminder of why McGhee wanted a frontman as Albion drew 0-0 at home to Burnley on January 31. Wayne Henderson rejoined the Seagulls late in the month on a permanent deal. He had been on loan from Aston villa for the first three months of the campaign. The month also saw Leon Knight leave for Swansea for £125,000 plus a sell-on clause.

9:31am
Further to that tweet from Andy, I was told by the Sheffield Star man that Marlon King is also one of the strikers interesting Sheffield Wednesday. The Owls want another frontman on board by the time Albion visit on Saturday.

9:29am
One feature*I will be running during the day, compiled with the help of Tim Carder, is a look back at what has happened at this time of the year in previous seasons.
I was going to call it GREAT JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOWS OF THE PAST.
But looking through the files, I've had a rethink and will now be calling it....
JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOWS OF THE PAST
Traditionally, of course, this was the time Albion fans felt like losing contestants on a TV quiz show being told: "Look what you could have won!" As we await Gus, let's have a look back to the first of these windows, 2006.

9:23am
Anyway, we are awaiting Gus Poyet. No doubt there will be a few questions about what is expected today.

9:22am
Peterborough and Crystal Palace were reported to have agreed a fee to take George Boyd to Selhurst Park (though other clubs have also agreed terms with Posh apparently) while Luciano Becchio looked to be heading into the Premer League at Norwich with Steve Morison going the other way.
This one won't directly affect Albion, given they have already played Birmingham City twice this season, but Stoke were last night stepping up interest in Blues keeper Jack Butland.

9:19am
I was on office duty last night and, while working, kept an eye on Premier League scores and Championship-related transfer news. Let's have a quick reminder of the latter as we go into the final day of business.
It seems Stephen Henderson, who had such a jittery New Year's Day in goal for Ipswich against Albion, could be on his way to Blackburn, who come to The Amex soon. Henderson was on loan from West Ham when the Seagulls put three past him at Portman Road.
Albion could be up against an FA Cup hero when they host Blackpool in April. The Tangerines have signed Manchester City defender Reece Wabara on loan until the end of the season.
Wabara recently enjoyed a successful spell with League One side Oldham and scored in their 3-2 FA Cup win against Liverpool on Sunday.
Of course we wait to see whether Tom Ince will still be with Blackpool at that time. But that looks like being the case.

9:18am
I should at this point stress that the fact we are launching this blog does not man we necessarily expect a hectic day for the Seagulls - certainly not to match what happened in the eveneing of August 31. But what we can promise is*a handy resource for you to check for new from here, rival clubs and Sussex football as a whole.

9:15am
Of course we will also have a clsoe eye on what Crawley might be up to although they seem to have been busy already this momth.

9:14am
I was planning to get on to you a few minutes ago but Craig Mackail-Smith came in for his press conference bang on time at 9am. That presumably knocks any rumours about him going on the head. So what else has been happening in the Championship?

9:13am
Welcome to The Amex and what be a long day of transfer activity,*speculation - and tweets. I'll be keeping an eye on what is going on here with Albion and anything else around the Championship with potential impact on the Seagulls.

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here