Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Neighbours smoking weed - making our life hell - advice

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I am at my wits end, so I am hoping the NSC can give me some constructive advice...

I bought my first property a year ago this week. My and the other half were over the moon to finally have our own place after years of saving - a small, yet nice 1950's semi.

Problem is, in November we started smelling weed on a regular basis coming from next door (their main bedroom is the other side of the wall to our main bedroom). This isn't just a faint smell, it is a very strong smell of marijuana coming through in the evenings - normally is can only be smelt in our bedroom, but sometimes our entire house stinks. The smell is so strong that we cannot sleep. We have always known the neighbours like to smoke the green stuff a bit (they usually do it in the front garden), and it has never particularly fussed us beforehand.

Just after Christmas I decided I had enough and had a quiet word with our neighbour. He seemed quite nice about it, and agreed to smoke his weed elsewhere in the house. However the problem has since started again every Saturday night. This is annoying for me, and is putting a huge amount of stress on my other half (she is on the verge of moving out).

So, my question to NSC, is where do I go from here? It will be at least another 2 years of hard saving before I/we can afford to move elsewhere - we can't sell now because we would be making a huge loss.

I don't want to get into a neighbourly dispute because the neighbours can be rough as feck (I asked them to turn down their music once at 11pm after they said to let them know if it was too loud, the result was it got louder and went on through the night!). The neighbours not only know we have a problem with this, they are actively avoiding us so that we cannot complain to them.

All I want to do is live a normal life in my house - starting with not having to sleep in the spare room/sofa every Saturday night. Also, I would love my other half to be able to relax - she now shudders at the thought of coming home in the evening!

Any advice would be welcome - should I start by keeping a diary of evidence? What do I do next...?

May I just say again, this isn't a faint whiff - it is a very strong smell.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Is there any chance that next door are dealing? As to be honest a ten bag wouldn't really give off that much smell

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Seems a bit ungrateful.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
You sure he does not have weed growing in the loft? Sounds a bit odd you can smell it that strongly.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Rozzers, or maybe send The Truth round there as an example of the result of regular use.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Is there any chance that next door are dealing? As to be honest a ten bag wouldn't really give off that much smell

Not sure - but you can set your watch by the smell - it always starts drifting through at 10pm. If they were dealing, wouldn't it smell all of the time(?). On the one hand I am grateful that it is only Saturdays now, on the other hand, I work all week - Saturday night is the only time that both I and the girlfriend get to relax and do nothing.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
could be an environmental health call as opposed to a police one.

It seems a bit of a worry quite how the smell is getting through the wall so well, are there any common voids, your roof spaces connected etc? A bit of a nose around and some small works may be able to make a significant difference to the problem.

If the smell is actually them growing it the police may do something.

You could ask to speak to whover your community liaison officer (or whatever its called - Edna?)

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I'm surprised the smell is making its way through to yours? Is there any chance they're cultivating?

Short term there are candles you can buy which neutralise order fantastically. I'd try light two or three of them on a Saturday.. If the problem persists then you have to consider the fact that its illegal and if you wanted to contact the authorities with concerns you'd be within your rights.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Not sure - but you can set your watch by the smell - it always starts drifting through at 10pm. If they were dealing, wouldn't it smell all of the time(?). On the one hand I am grateful that it is only Saturdays now, on the other hand, I work all week - Saturday night is the only time that both I and the girlfriend get to relax and do nothing.

Then they are growing. Lights are on a timer, come on, heat up the air, big weed smell wafts through loft and down. Bloody amateurs! If theyd invested in a decent fan and a filter no-one may ever have known.

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
Environmental Protection Act 1990! Nuisance premises under the Anti Social Behaviour Act, Possible Crack House if other drugs in premises! If dealing could be closed for period of three months! Contact the authorities. Speak to him again, sure he won't fancy a 5 o'clock knock! Is he renting or a home owner, loads that could be done.

Benson

Jan 31, 2012
near water
they could be growing the stuff.
The first thing i think you should do is have another subtle word and see what the reaction is like. Record it on your phone (get app, note recorder etc). It maybe ok but don't fret fella.

As for your bird wanting to move out::needpics:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
You could say your girlfriend is expecting and the strong smell of it is probably harming the baby. It may work in the short-term but not after a few months. At least then though they'll be out of the habit of smoking it indoors which is very unfair on you and your girlfriend as the smell gets into your clothes and is causing needless stress.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Or get a group of your mates to get balaclavad up and knock on his door at silly o'clock complete with baseball bats, replica guns etc. Smash in his car windows and in a thick Italian/American accent tell him if he continues to deal on your patch the consequences will be much more severe.

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
Or get a group of your mates to get balaclavad up and knock on his door at silly o'clock complete with baseball bats, replica guns etc. Smash in his car windows and in a thick Italian/American accent tell him if he continues to deal on your patch the consequences will be much more severe.

Or this alternative!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here