Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jury Service - have you?

How many times have you done Jury Servce?

• Never

Votes: 68 57.1%
  • Once

Votes: 41 34.5%
  • Twice

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • More than twice

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
What with the "other thread" growing steadily, thought I'd ask the question.

I'm in my 50's now and never been asked to be a juror.
I've not got / never had a criminal record bar a couple of speeding / parking tickets over 30 years.
So why is it I've not been asked?

Has anyone been asked more than twice?
Has anyone been asked who also has a criminal record?

Just interested like .....

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
Yep, wherever I've lived, always been on the electoral roll.
Been a [mortgaged] house-owner for 25 years.

Then I guess you just got lucky/unlucky (depending on how you want to look at it). Although I suppose whether you have a Crown Court located close to where you live could have a bearing on whether you get selected or not.

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
Then I guess you just got lucky/unlucky (depending on how you want to look at it). Although I suppose whether you have a Crown Court located close to where you live could have a bearing on whether you get selected or not.

It's just pot luck doesn't matter how far away crown court is

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Twice - in quite quick succession... got selected for two trials, one was a stabbing in a pub toilet, the other a road rage incident.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I did it at Hove Crown Court a couple of years ago. There was a lot of sitting around but they still managed to sit me on three trials in two weeks.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Got the letter through about a week after my 18th birthday!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes, did it when I was in my twenties.

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
starting my second lot of jury service next week at Hove, attended lewes on my first service about nine years ago. very interesting and enjoyable, three trials, ABH, drug smuggling and murder case which the judge stopped after three days. Two weeks paid leave off work as well.

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
Have done it once. A horrible child abuse case where the child was killed. It's not always a good thing. Wish I never had to do it.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Finding this all very interesting and bringing back memories. Was on a murder trial at old bailey last year. Was hugely looking forward to it and the whole experience was fascinating, but was one of the hardest things I think I'll ever do. As an ordinary member of the public, you can never really prepare yourself for the sort of world you can be dropped into and what you'll have to see and hear.

Finding this all very interesting and bringing back memories. Was on a murder trial at old bailey last year. Was hugely looking forward to it and the whole experience was fascinating, but was one of the hardest things I think I'll ever do. As an ordinary member of the public, you can never really prepare yourself for the sort of world you can be dropped into and what you'll have to see and hear.

This was the worst bit, the woman next to me puked then fainted at the sight of one set of photographs.

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
I did an armed robbery case and the guy and his dad were clearly guilty and they were sent down for 10 years or so.
What shocked me was that after the case finished and sentencing was done, we all left the courtroom together. The jury, the relatives and friends of the accused and victims.
I needed to put some eye drops into my eye for my Iritis and was heading for the toilets but then realised I was being followed by half a dozen friends of the guy we just sent down. I tried a divert and it was then very clear they were following me. I left the courthouse and legged it as fast as I could down Lewes High Street towards the train station. All I can remember was diving down through a small gate opposite the Lansdown pub and hid in some bushes. Fortunately they all went straight past towards the station entrance.
Never bricked it so much in my life.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19

I'm with you there. I was on a child cruelty/murder case back when I was about 22. Lasted about a month, and was both incredibly interesting and horrific. I think most of the jury, myself included broke down in the jury box at one time. I'd probably do it again though - its a glimpse into a world far removed.

Have been once to Lewes around 12 years ago. Found it very interesting, fortunately the case wasn't too gruesome (it was one that had the potential to be). I was intrigued at the intellectual powers of the judge (scary, female, would have pleaded guilty even if I hadn't done it if it was her hearing my case) who could recall a minor detail given on day one that was at odds with what the barrister said on day three - apparently without notes. His grovelling to her was a sight to see!

Be prepared for a lot of hanging around, false starts and going home early (if you are lucky).

Worked with someone who got her jury service call up in the post with her 18th birthday cards almost. Unfortunately it was quite a harrowing case that she had to deal with.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here