Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hip-Hop/EDM/Bass fans

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Nah, that's not me. I wish! It's a mate who runs the night. The podcasts on there are the business, new one out now.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
What did you mix on??

Edit: Beaten to the same question

First ten mins is QUALLA, much prefer the stuff without lyrics, me.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
What did you mix on??

Edit: Beaten to the same question

First ten mins is QUALLA, much prefer the stuff without lyrics, me.

thanks, (I assume you're talking about the January mix?) the January mix is the 4th I've ever done and quite happy with it, and its a more varied mix of styles as opposed to the 3rd (which was mainly just trap), and think its just a bit better put together in terms of quality

I used software only (a mix of both Mixmeister - for quick calculating of bpms and Ableton) for the December mix , but then just used Mixmeister for the January mix as its easier to use and I didn't want to spend ages warping songs like the first time (although had to do quite a bit of tweaking in Mixmeister in the end.) Want to learn how to use Ableton properly going forward though, so if I ever did want to try some live DJing I have something to work with......

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
thanks, (I assume you're talking about the January mix?) the January mix is the 4th I've ever done and quite happy with it, and its a more varied mix of styles as opposed to the 3rd (which was mainly just trap), and think its just a bit better put together in terms of quality

I used software only (a mix of both Mixmeister - for quick calculating of bpms and Ableton) for the December mix , but then just used Mixmeister for the January mix as its easier to use and I didn't want to spend ages warping songs like the first time (although had to do quite a bit of tweaking in Mixmeister in the end.) Want to learn how to use Ableton properly going forward though, so if I ever did want to try some live DJing I have something to work with......

I would like to learn to use Ableton too, like the idea of laying effects and doing stuff live on the fly....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I would like to learn to use Ableton too, like the idea of laying effects and doing stuff live on the fly....

There are some interesting vids of Richie Hawtin going through his live Ableton set up on his website.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
I know Baauer uses Ableton to DJ with, and he's said himself he hasn't DJ'ed live much before he got famous through producing (although since then he's toured pretty much constantly so assume he's now a lot better)....Do people that use Ableton to DJ live with have a set laid out beforehand or are they queuing stuff up on the fly?

This is one of his first live DJ sets and from what I can see he's not doing THAT much...

Baauer 50 min Boiler Room New York DJ Set - YouTube

Jello Biafra

Aug 8, 2011
Don't rate any of your stuff. I'm sticking with trance, though it isn't really, so EDM is a good term to use.

Arty @ The Gallery - BE-AT.TV

He's at the ministry tomorrow night.

btw, why don't we ever hear 'You're Not From Brighton' on the Amex soundsystem. It should be played prior to 'Sussex by the sea' imo.

ripper

Jul 5, 2003
Generally people using Ableton to DJ wil have their stuff per arranged in a live set due to the need to warp and prepare the tracks first. This takes too much of the spontaneity out of using it to DJ for me. I use Ableton for production and Serato for DJing. Haven't had a chance to listen to your mix yet but will give it a go.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
You can do anything with Ableton live if you really want to. That's where it gets it's name from. You can just warp all your tunes and then just mix them. As said it's a bit dull.

But plenty of people do all sorts of interesting stuff with it in the club. More like live remixing than DJing.

Not me though. Can't be arsed. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here