Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Twitter users

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
How do you use it effectively? I only follow about 90 people from my mobile phone and the amount of tweets just from those people leads to ridiculous amounts of text, that I couldn't possibly find the time to read them all.

Yes, searching on hashtags is something I sometimes do, but it seems to me you have to know what you're looking for before you make that search, the obvious example being #bhafc.

So how do YOU make sense of your twitter world? Just interested to see how others use it, and how often.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I find turning off retweets from some of the people I follow, helps to cut down the excess.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I follow over 1100 people, I look at twitter pretty often, but make no attempt to read every tweet, I normally just end up skim reading looking for things that might be interesting, or tweets from interesting people! I could probably have a clearout soon though...

It's good following fans of other clubs for the banter and just to have a chat occasionally.
Probably half of the people I follow are Albion though.

I look on the #bhafc hashtag pretty often, especially in the transfer window. Searching for keywords along with the hashtag is pretty effective, like '#bhafc arsenal' or something.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Unfollow people who ask for RTs and beg for followers for a start.
I don't read everything but the temporal nature of a lot of tweets means that it's a not a great issue.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
First suggestion is to turn off re-tweets from indiscriminate re-tweeters.
Next suggestion is to look at who is genuinely posting interesting stuff and what is just recycled. (sorry guys, but a lot of the generic Amex x stand accounts are serial offenders here)
Thirdly follow a few people who are a bit annoying and maybe maintain a squad of these that you can rotate in and out to stave off boredom. If nothing else you will et a different perspective on the world.
Finally try and keep as broad a range of your interests covered as possible, quality beats quantity here.

I follow over 1100 people, I look at twitter pretty often, but make no attempt to read every tweet, I normally just end up skim reading looking for things that might be interesting, or tweets from interesting people!

This for me. Just skim read a lot unless it's of real interest to me.

Whilst a lot of my friends use it for general chit chat I try and avoid that as much as possible, as it would simply clog up my feed with conversations I lose track of. I use it mainly as a tool for chat about sport (mainly Albion) & to promote my weekly Albion blog. As a journalistic tool it's probably the easiest way to get your blog/story out to large numbers of people.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I joined, however find it a bit boring and have been trying to cancel it but it wont let me saying mobile support or something wont let me do this, its actually pissing me off.

Any ideas

Oh yeah, I have two accounts as well. One for all things sport-related, one more friend, family and hobby oriented.

Smart move. Should probably consider that however if I want to have a general chit chat I will usually use my phone or Facebook for that.

SeagullSongs

Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Smart move. Should probably consider that however if I want to have a general chit chat I will usually use my phone or Facebook for that.

It's pretty easy to manage and switch between two accounts on the iPhone app. To avoid confusion try not to follow yourself! :lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don't really "use" Twitter for anything, although I do like catching up on the post-match stuff from fans and Naylor. Oh and the team news when its announced, I like getting that hot off the press.

Other than that, I just idly peruse my Twitter feed for the usual nonsense and claptrap, and sometimes contribute my own pointless guff into the vast, constant, infinate, whirling cyber-maelstrom of timewasting triviality. I also find going into completely random peoples profiles and sifting through the pictures they've tweeted oddly compelling. Well, perhaps compelling is taking it a little far. Mildly distracting perhaps.

Oh, and then there's @ilikegirlsdaily of course, which is pretty much what Twitter was invented for.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I only follow about 150 people. I tend to use it for business purposes only. I've never understood people that use it to follow celebrities - so vacuous - unless you are a journo looking for vacuous stories to fill magazines. Each to their own.

I enjoy looking at some of the BHA banter on twitter, but it is not half as good as NSC.

Over the past six months I've used it less and less though. Not sure why. I still skim it when news and events happen to see what the general public view is.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Oh yeah, I have two accounts as well. One for all things sport-related, one more friend, family and hobby oriented.

You don't need to do that - just use lists. Put people in lists grouped on whatever you fancy. You'll soon find that you have more important list(s) that you check more often.

You don't even have to follow someone to put them in a list.

Other than that, like others have said, I just look every now and then and make no effort to read everything. Unfollowing spammy tweeters is also a good move.

SeagullSongs

Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
You don't need to do that - just use lists. Put people in lists grouped on whatever you fancy. You'll soon find that you have more important list(s) that you check more often.

Other than that, like others have said, I just look every now and then and make no effort to read everything. Unfollowing spammy tweeters is also a good move.

I've been on twitter for about 3 years now and I've never really worked out (or thought it was worth working out) lists! Might give it a little look into...

Someone told me Facebook is for the people you went to school with and witter is for people you wish you went to school with

So true, fantastic quote.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I make posts on Twitter exclusively about music although I'm not so picky about users that I follow with Albion related accounts as well as more general and I find it invaluable in finding out about new music, gigs and what various musicians are up to. Linking my blog to Twitter has helped publicise it greatly and its quite something when you get those musicians come back to you after you've posted some of their music.

I just unfollow people who use Twitter indiscriminately viz Amanda Palmer or those who I find obnoxious (tends to be R&B or rappers).

It doesn't take long to sort the wheat from the chaff to be honest.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I've found lists have made it much easier to use. I have a football list, cricket, cycling, family etc. I then save a few hashtag searches so that I can click on them at anytime.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I use it pretty much as others have said, to skim read when I'm sat bored somewhere, or when walking to and from places, making no effort to read all the tweets. Prime example is one of the 'tipsters' I follow, who actually has a fairly decent success rate, but I automatically ignore their writings unless it's a Saturday or whatever and I'm off to the bookies.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to gauge how many followers a person had on Twitter a year ago? I'm looking to see how local politicians have been doing comparatively ie Peter Kirby, Nancy Platts since 1/1/2014 Brighton Kemptown etc etc so I can win some dish on the election & pay for next years ST! cheers

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here