Votes: 13 13.4%
  • £500+

Votes: 55 56.7%

• Total voters

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
[MENTION=12090]Programme_Seller[/MENTION] 's thread on 'Are you happy with your job?' got me thinking about work/life balance and general life happiness.

For example, I work in a dull job with almost no future prospects or room for promotions etc.. However, after all my monthly outgoings, I have a fair amount of cash to spare. I would most definitely be happy to lose 50-75% of this 'disposable income' if it meant I had a more enjoyable career and ultimately, a better life.

So two questions really;

Firstly, roughly how much (if any) 'disposable' income do have after monthly outgoings (use poll as it's obviously a personal question).
Lastly, would you be happy to take a pay-cut/down-size, to gain a better/happier life?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Over the top end

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Way over top end really. But its about 50% of my take home on salary.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I think most poeple would take a pay cut to gain a better life style. If I was single and without a family to support I'd be happy to do so. I have 2 children and it would be impossible to do so at this current time. They have to come first.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
So far I'm really surprised at the current poll results. 9/12 voters have over £500 to spare each month. Looks like I need to find a higher paid, yet more enjoyable job! :(

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So far I'm really surprised at the current poll results. 9/12 voters have over £500 to spare each month. Looks like I need to find a higher paid, yet more enjoyable job! :(

Probably down to situation, age, when house purchased etc

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
I think I'm spending near to £500 on football a month at the moment, if I were to include beer, travel costs and tickets. I do have a tedious job though, which is why I'm channeling my enthusiasm into following the Albion this season.

I'll consider doing something about the tediousness of my job in the summer.

Maybe.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I'm probably one of the luckiest ones as I have no mortgage / rent and the wife works

So have a very good disposable income even a bad month would be more that £500 but because I'm an old git with little outgoing, if you were to ask me 5-10 years ago I would have said lucky to cover bills with no disposable.

It's all to do with where you are in life.
I spent a long time in jobs I did not enjoy because the money was good.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Not so much at the moment as making a concerted effort to pay off the visa bill and the car loan early. Then will prob have more to play with. Just want to get to a stage where my only debt is the mortgage.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Think you need to re-do the poll options.

My salary is just over the national average, I pay off a mortgage by myself and all the bills etc and I still have way over £500 to do what I want with. I don't include food/shopping as outgoings if that makes a difference.

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
I enjoy my job. I go home to my wonderful wife and brilliant 2 year old son. But I have £800 to pay for food, petrol and clothes for the three of us and some months can be tight. We might have £50 left for the odd takeaway and cinema visit.

Wife has just gone back to work part time on weekends to allow us some disposable income and pay for extra spending from building work. Also helps pay for the odd Albion ticket. :)

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I enjoy my job. I go home to my wonderful wife and brilliant 2 year old son. But I have £800 to pay for food, petrol and clothes for the three of us and some months can be tight. We might have £50 left for the odd takeaway and cinema visit.

Wife has just gone back to work part time on weekends to allow us some disposable income and pay for extra spending from building work. Also helps pay for the odd Albion ticket. :)

Do you eat a lot and drive long distances in designer clothes ??

Camicus

I quit working as a area manager for a security company and took up pottery. Im skint but works not killing me with stress and I love my job

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Do you eat a lot and drive long distances in designer clothes ??

A quick google search reveals the average UK food bill is just short of £80 a week.

That would've been a more interesting poll!

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
A quick google search reveals the average UK food bill is just short of £80 a week.

That would've been a more interesting poll!

Jeez!!! I probably spend $300 a month on food, at an absolute maximum. (£150)

That is for just two of us, and we don't buy the cheapest products. If were were more fruggle we could probably last a month on about $200.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here