Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dean Wilkins Andy Crosby & Jim Stannard outed by Southampton

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Can't believe southampton would reveal such personal info about them. Im sure whoever they told, it was probably in confidence!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Can't believe southampton would reveal such personal info about them. Im sure whoever they told, it was probably in confidence!

:lolol: not the best turn of phrase in the title was it?

mind you anythings possible at Southampton having sacked Atkins in the first place.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Deano to become an Albion scout ?

Boris Yeltsin

MR PRESIDENT to you, mate
Feb 13, 2008
Moscow
After the way he was treated by us?

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
I really feel sorry for him. Saw a sports journalist tweet about the sacking saying how he feels sorry for Wilkins and that how excited they were for the season ahead post-Chelski.

:nono:

Our Academy NEEDS Dean Wilkins.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
After the way he was treated by DK? Although I imagine TB may have had some input?

Martin Perry was the only one to vote FOR Wilkins when the rest of the board wanted him sacked. He was offered his old job as youth coach but turned it down.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Martin Perry was the only one to vote FOR Wilkins when the rest of the board wanted him sacked. He was offered his old job as youth coach but turned it down.

Fair enough, can't imagine he'd want to come back then. Shame, shoddy treatment, even if he struggled to cope with senior players, and replaced by a man who completely lost the plot over the next few months.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Am I the only one who wouldn't want Wilkins back? I can't help feeling some people are in danger of overstating his role a little.

Yes, Wendy picked a few youngsters for the first team, but much of that would have been out of necessity, and none of them have exactly gone on to set the world on fire. El Abd, Hammond and Harding are probably the best of the bunch: Hammond has done OK as an average level Championship midfielder, Harding is embarrassing at this level, while El Abd only started to develop as a defender long after Wilkins was gone.

And not one of those players- let alone the likes of Virgo, Robinson and Cox- would have had a sniff of a professional contract at clubs with genuinely successful youth policies like Crewe, Southampton, West Ham or- dare I say it- the tools up the road. Wilkins did OK, but I refuse to accept that he's some kind of guru when it comes to developing young players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here