Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Post-match Trains - What's the Problem?

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Having not used the trains for months, I headed off after Saturday's final whistle expecting to be stuck in a queue for ages, and being lucky to make Brighton station by 6.

Here's the reality:- Joined the back of the Brighton queue at 17.05. Boarded train at 17.15. Non-stop service arrived Brighton 17.25.

So, 20 minutes start to finish. Was I just lucky, or is this actually the norm now? And if it is, how come all the negative publicity (eg on the Football Ground Guide) still persists?

And doesn't this reality destroy another feeble justification for leaving early?

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
The trains are great. On Saturday's, I stay back for 1 leisurely pint after which I head straight to the Lewes bound platform. No queuing, no fussing, just straight onto the waiting train.
Evening games are normally about a 10/15 minute wait but when you consider how much people moan on here, you'd think they were queuing for 2 hours.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
We tend to leave straight after the final whistle and queue seems long at the station but we are always on the 2nd train to Brighton we see, brilliant service really, I don't know how they get so many on a train so quickly, superb effort all round

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Having not used the trains for months, I headed off after Saturday's final whistle expecting to be stuck in a queue for ages, and being lucky to make Brighton station by 6.

Here's the reality:- Joined the back of the Brighton queue at 17.05. Boarded train at 17.15. Non-stop service arrived Brighton 17.25.

So, 20 minutes start to finish. Was I just lucky, or is this actually the norm now? And if it is, how come all the negative publicity (eg on the Football Ground Guide) still persists?

And doesn't this reality destroy another feeble justification for leaving early?

Planned to stay for a drink after but it was too cold, so I left after the final whistle.

First two trains were full 5:15 (8 coach) and 5:25 (4 coach) so I had to catch the 5:38 (8 coach) which left (maybe with a queue behind,maybe not). Met the connection in time for the West Coastway, but the first train was full up, so left on the 6:02 semi-fast. Sardine packed to and fro. In each case, if I left 30 seconds earlier I would have been home half an hour earlier.

In other words, worse than normal.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
They are and have always been fine for me but then I'm willing to accept it might take me 15 minutes to get way from an event with an attendance of 26,000 people.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
I've never had a problem. After game straight to station, on train. Change at Brighton. Usually home by 6. I don't understand all the moaning about it.

boik

I've never had a problem. After game straight to station, on train. Change at Brighton. Usually home by 6. I don't understand all the moaning about it.

I never have a problem either. Guaranteed home in Hassocks well before 6 for a 3 oclock.

I think the problem is one of perception. A lot of grounds have a 10-15 minute walk to trains or car park, but 15 minutes waiting in a queue at the station that IS RIGHT NEXT TO THE STADIUM makes people think it's a disaster. I enjoy the time discussing the match, listening to the banter. Post Newcastle I stayed for a couple of pints and got on the first train.

There is no problem, just impatient people.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
I think they are great. On Saturday took the kids, waited for stand to empty after the match, 5 mins. They stood on the disabled area and watched the players warm down; my lad shouted and waved at Vicente and got a big smile in return - one happy son. Then went to the shop for 10 mins. Finally strolled to the station got straight on a train and was in Lewes by 17:45 and then home just after 18:00. All in all brilliant.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I used to drive from Bognor and park in Coldean then have a 20 min walk to the stadium, often in crap weather. For an evening game in the car leaving home about 5-15pm it has taken an hour and half driving followed by the walk.
Staying behind for a pint after the game has meant I have never had to queue for a train and never had to walk more than about 400 metres in the rain.
We're very lucky to have the service on our doorstep.

Post-match trains? - Affordable and brilliant.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I used to drive from Bognor and park in Coldean then have a 20 min walk to the stadium, often in crap weather. For an evening game in the car leaving home about 5-15pm it has taken an hour and half driving followed by the walk.
Staying behind for a pint after the game has meant I have never had to queue for a train and never had to walk more than about 400 metres in the rain.
We're very lucky to have the service on our doorstep.

Post-match trains? - Affordable and brilliant.

Plus you are drinking, and after 2 pints of Harveys you are singing and clapping, even with your big gloves on, right in my ear, upper east atmosphere at last.
You didnt even call for a steward on Saturday:rave:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm very surprised how well they work, and consistently too. It really pisses me off that away fan after away fan slags the transport arrangements off on the footballgroundguide, when they're clearly just not used to large crowds.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The person sitting next to me left in injury time and he was back in Shoreham before I left Falmer. It is safe, just about, but the trains are too short. Four extra coaches on the second train (third train by early leavers) and I would be home nearly an hour earlier. Something's wrong? It is so bad that it is serious.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i think the issue is when theres a problem, it has a large impact. then everyone of course complains creating the perception the service is horrible the whole time, when actually is once in a while.

that applies to daily rail service as much as Falmer on match day.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Eastbound the system has improved, shortest wait I can remember on Saturday. More station staff better at loading up trains/platforms. Stayed to the end, clapped Liam off, quick loo stop and even from WSU was back in Lewes by 530.

PG

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Works fine every game, always has just a load of moaners looking for something to moan about.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
They're fine. Our transport is actually pretty efficient by football ground standards - well, the trains and car parks anyway.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Saturday was especially good but then it's been quite good for a while now.. Millwall was the last game where I had anything like a long wait for a train.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here