Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wilko Johnson

Very sad to learn this - just finished reading his biography which is excellent. A good many years since I saw him play live but his unique style was something to be marvelled at. My "if you could spend a day in the past...." wishj would be watching the original Feelgoods playing live at a a small sweaty club somewhere.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
A life musical highlight was seeing Dr Feelood in a pub just outside Reading around the time of the 'as it happens' album. No idea why they were there but they just set up in the corner, pub doors were closed when full and they played a full set. Treasured memory.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
That's terrible news.
Saw him last summer,and he was excellent as ever.
Great guitarist and showman.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
There was a great article in one of the music monthlies last year, can't remember which one, either Mojo or Q.
Paul Weller admitted being totalling influenced by Wilko's style of playing and called him the English Chuck Berry.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm getting really quite cross at the number of musical greats that are going to the great gig in the sky. As others have articulated, the man is a giant in British music.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Highly recommend 'Oil City Confidential'

Brilliant Feelgoods documentary

I bought this just before Xmas. Not watched it yet. I heard a doc on the radio and found the whole Canvey Island scene fascinating and a little bizarre to be honest. Shame about the main fella.

BearwoodSeagull

Feb 2, 2012
Chalkhouse Green, Oxon
Terrible news....
Oil City Confidential is a must get if you like the Feelgoods and Wilko.....very poignant and informative.
Saw Dr Feelgood a couple of times in Brum and loved Wilko's style and presence. Subsequently saw Wilko Johnsons Solid Senders at The Marquee after he left the band.....a true one off legend.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I knew he was ill but I didn't realise it was this serious. He's been my no.1 guitar idol for years and I've seen him live dozens of times.

A world without Wilko is just impossible to imagine.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Sad news, saw him with Dr Feelgood at the Top Rank many many years ago. great guitarist, fantastic band.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
I knew he was ill but I didn't realise it was this serious. He's been my no.1 guitar idol for years and I've seen him live dozens of times.

A world without Wilko is just impossible to imagine.

Feel for you matey .....awful news.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here