Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is the MATTER with people in East Belfast?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes, I know what's causing the riots but isn't the point that this was a democratically taken decision? You get the impression that there are utter twats on both sides who just live for the excuse to throw petrol bombs. Mugs.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I think you've hit the nail on the head, there are people (including children) who will take any opportunity to cause violence and destruction on the streets of Belfast. It's possibly the most stupid ongoing "conflict" in the World and I can't think of too many less appealing places to visit.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Yes, I know what's causing the riots but isn't the point that this was a democratically taken decision? You get the impression that there are utter twats on both sides who just live for the excuse to throw petrol bombs. Mugs.

You do realize that a, "democratically taken decision" means that the majority view prevailed over the minority view.

I can't understand why people equate "democratic" decisions with everyone being happy. The majority are happy, and the minority are pissed.

That is how democracy works.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You do realize that a, "democratically taken decision" means that the majority view prevailed over the minority view.

I can't understand why people equate "democratic" decisions with everyone being happy. The majority are happy, and the minority are pissed.

That is how democracy works.
Yes, thanks for taking time out from your usual laughable conspiracy theorising and explaining it to me. I really didn't know what democracy was.

My impression was that people in democratic societies were generally conditioned to accept most decisions made in a democracy as the will of the people, especially trivial ones such as determining when a flag should fly.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
"They're both as bad as each other" is just about the laziest comment anyone could make. :facepalm:
Why even f***ing bother.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
My impression was that people in democratic societies were generally conditioned to accept most decisions made in a democracy as the will of the people, especially trivial ones such as determining when a flag should fly.

So you do understand.

My mistake.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
"They're both as bad as each other" is just about the laziest comment anyone could make. :facepalm:
Why even f***ing bother.
True. Who has said that then?

In this instance, the loyalists are the antagonists with UVF members being accused of getting involved. Twunts.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

There's an adage which always makes Irish people smile...

"the English can't remember what the Irish can't forget"

I urge you to use this reasoning whenever it comes to Irish problems.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I can't think of too many less appealing places to visit.

Au contraire sir. When they're not rioting, IMHO Belfast is a terrific city and Northern Ireland is gorgeous.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Au contraire sir. When they're not rioting, IMHO Belfast is a terrific city and Northern Ireland is gorgeous.

I'm sure it is a nice city but it's not somewhere I would want to visit.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Correct. So now we've established you've got nothing of worth to add, perhaps f*** off to a thread about Ron Paul or tin foil hats?

I only commented because you appeared to be perpetuating the myth that a "democratic" decision was a decision which satisfies everybody.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I only commented because you appeared to be perpetuating the myth that a "democratic" decision was a decision which satisfies everybody.
I've re-read my initial comment and concluded that I did no such thing. It's just that you're a bit stupid.

Even though the violence has subsided in recent years, the hate is still there and very real. It's a tinderbox waiting to be ignited and this flag thing is just an excuse.
This is of course the truth. :(

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
True. Who has said that then?

In this instance, the loyalists are the antagonists with UVF members being accused of getting involved. Twunts.
He is probably referring to this comment " You get the impression that there are utter twats on both sides who just live for the excuse to throw petrol bombs. Mugs. " , which to be fair is a relatively lazy comment, without any real attempt to look at the grievances behind the situation.
It does seem to me that there are deliberate attempts to needle the loyalist community, and that decisions all seem to go one way against them, one thing that the loyalists do need to sort out is their PR machine , it's not aq patch on IRA/Sinn Fein which succeds wonderfully in portraying the IRA to the world as heroic freedom fighters to be sure with a twinkle in their eye, and any attempt by loyalists to defend their heritage and traditions as bigotry designed to oppress the poor innocent republicans who want nothing more than to live in peace with their neighbours.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I've re-read my initial comment and concluded that I did no such thing. It's just that you're a bit stupid.

This is of course the truth. :(

Did you mean that rioting was a democratically taken decision? If so, I misread your first post and I apologize.

I'll just scurry back to my lair a continue to await Nibiru.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here