Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prague advice

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Having just read the New York advice thread, I'd thought I'd start my own on Prague.
Am off on Sunday, for 3 nights, 4 days, although flight home is midday, so 3 days really.
I appreciate it is not the biggest city. So far I have been told to visit:

- Old square
- The clock (obviously on the hour!)
- The castle
- The ice bar
- Jewish cemetery

Worth mentioning I'm going with the other half!

I have my heavy duty coat, gloves and hat ready...

Cheers x

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Stay away from Wenceslas square, full of stag party's and SMUT. The old town is nice and the area around the river.

There are a couple of chaps on this board who live there so they will probably have the best advice.

termy46

Feb 26, 2010
I have been a couple of times. I would try the tower at Petrin, but get the cable car up there! There is a really good restaurant which translates as Little Goat in English, cant rember the czech name! Amazin steaks! Don't bother with the river cruise trip though. You don't see much more than you do from the river bank. I would get a travel ticke from the airport which gives you unlimited travel for you stay. Most of all, enjoy!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Make sure you buy a set of Russian BHAFC dolls - around £20

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Prague is awesome, especially if it has been snowing

Perhaps it might be worth alerting [MENTION=14574]daveinprague[/MENTION] to this thread

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
I have to say, I have been to many major cities in the past couple of years, and for some reason, I am most worried about Prague. I like to walk around the cities, especially at night, without a care in the World, I'm not sure I am going to be able to do that in Prague. I have no real reason to back this up. Odd.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Very safe for walking around at night...ive seen less hassle here than most places ive lived....the only fighting ive seen has been in my old club...mostly you dont see it.... .pickpocketing gypsy girls posing as sex workers are your biggest danger if single male... ..if a couple, still be aware in the 'busy' areas...they are very good at what they do, and very quick.

Its not actually that cold at the moment....

Ice bar is shut now I think...

Small city, and OP could cover his list in an afternoon...
Main advice is not to drink or eat in the tourist center...well worth travelling 3 or 4 tram stops (10mins) away from the center in any direction...
Most expats seem to live in area behind the museum at top of Wenceslas...Vinohrady....plenty of decent restaurants up there, that are cheaper...even
more so in Zizkov...

Large beer in Zizkov... 28-30kc...in center.. 55kc..
Miost Czechs wouldnt dream of paying 55kc for a beer...so you wont meet many, other than workers in the center.

Public transport runs day, and night...so worth getting 3 day ticket...you can buy one at the museum metro, and saves you risking needing a mortgage
when getting ripped off by taxis...

The only taxi service I use is yellow AAA... they will tell you how much your trip will be before you get in cab....
Theres a lot of thieving bastards working taxis, but AAA have built good reputation for honesty.
Jewish cemetary...never seen the attraction myself haha... but you can stand on the wall on the main road that
runs along the side of the river and see as much...
There is the oldest Synagogue in Europe there as well...Germans left it as they wanted to turn it into museum.
The area though is top dollar expensive... but then the shops are ..tiffanys, cartier etc....

Old square area.. expensive.. but if you need to sit and have a coffee, theres worst places to sit..beautiful architecture.
If you travel down the road that is by the English bar in the corner of square, there are some good nightclubs, and Casa Argentina steak house
that is very good...although the best steaks are at Bodeguito which is Cuban restaurant ..right opposite Starometska Metro....

If you need any info about specifics..give me a shout...

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
If you need any info about specifics..give me a shout...

Thanks Dave. Is there anything else you can recommend doing, even if it means a bit of traveling? Like you say, worried that we'll go through everything in a day, and then be left to sit in coffee shops and bars for the remaining two days (which obviously isn't such a bad thing, but can do so anywhere!).

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Thanks Dave. Is there anything else you can recommend doing, even if it means a bit of traveling? Like you say, worried that we'll go through everything in a day, and then be left to sit in coffee shops and bars for the remaining two days (which obviously isn't such a bad thing, but can do so anywhere!).

I wasn't particularly inmpressed with Prague when we went there last January, but if you get the unlimited travel ticket it's interesting just sitting on the trams and seeing some of the areas further out from the centre.

I didn't see the attraction of the castle area at all.

Too many "red umbrella" groups everywhere.

We're going to go back to Budapest in future. Liked it much more........

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

Couple of trips outside the city... ..

Terezin (theresianstadt) was a German transit camp for the jews heading east...mostly children...its a walled city... about an hour outside prague...

Kutna Hora... about hour and half has church with human bone decorations etc...

Karlovy Vary is very pretty city, but its mostly Russians...but thats just more beautiful women haha..

Check the boards in the Irish pub Rocky Oreillys in Stepanska (off Wenceslas), and you will see adverts for shooting AK47s and that sort of thing...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What about the whorehouse that broadcasts to the internet? Gotta be worth a trip surely?

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
i went there on a stag do, the grooms dad got robbed by a hooker when he left early. Well he said robbed. The facts are as follows:
1) he bumped into a hooker on the way home
2) he was 100 quid lighter in the morning
3) he felt very embarrassed about the incident

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
quite probably robbed..... if girls come up to you offering sex, and start grabbing you...its not for sex..they are searching you...

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
- The clock (obviously on the hour!)

I really wouldn't bother if I were you. Got to be the biggest anti climax going. Or if you do go be prepared to hear a chorus of "is that it?" afterwards.

Certainly have a wander up to the castle though.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
i went there on a stag do, the grooms dad got robbed by a hooker when he left early. Well he said robbed. The facts are as follows:
1) he bumped into a hooker on the way home
2) he was 100 quid lighter in the morning
3) he felt very embarrassed about the incident

That is how it works isn't it ?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Ive never got the 'clock' thing..... when it wasnt working and being renovated...theres were still crowds hanging around the thing on the hour...
The castle is ok, and free to wander around the courtyards inside, its apparently the worlds biggest castle?... but interesting to see the different ages
reflected in the architecture..... they have reopened the 'golden lane'....personally I hate the place, as everybody
who visits wants to go there..ive probably been to the bloody place twice as many times as the average Czech...

Theres an Army museum on Zitkov hill...where they have the huge communist ie FECKING UGLY mausoleum on the top...and the largest equestrian statue in Europe, or the world..cant remember..but they have Heydrich's car that he was assassinated in in there...

Theres also St Cyrils church which is in the same street as the 'Dancing House' building, where the Czech commando's responsible for him getting whacked held out against the SS..
You can visit the cellar where they held out...

Behind the Museum at the top of the Wenceslas...there is a modern building on the right hand-side...which isnt actually that modern, and was the radio station for Czech Radio during the war.....this is where the Czech Uprising began at the end of the war...
Police went to take the place, and to announce the uprising on the radio...
not realising there were two companies of SS there...so quite a battle took place in the street there.

Dancing House building is built on the only area damaged by aerial bombing during the war, so they wanted a special building there.
It was bombed by the Americans (of course) who mistook Prague for Dresden....

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here