Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New York

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I know this has been done before, but I'd like any new/updated tips and ideas that people might be able to offer.

Basically, 3 weeks tomorrow I'm off to New York for a week. This will be my 4th trip there, but my first since 2007 so I'm sure there's a whole load of new stuff to see and do since last time.

What I'm looking for here is the NSC personal touch of recommended things to do, things to see and things to avoid if applicable that are beyond the "usual" NY attractions.

Ta. :smile:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Walk across this...

280px-Brooklyn_Bridge_Postdlf.jpg

...get the best pizza in the world from Grimaldi's (eat in if cold or take out and eat outside looking back at Manhattan)...

...and then pick up an ice cream from the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory to eat on the walk back.

I've heard a LOT of good things about The High Line, which will be new since you visited, but I've not had a chance to explore myself yet.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I'm going on Friday so will keep an eye on this thread as well. My first time so will be doing the usual tourist things.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm going on Friday so will keep an eye on this thread as well. My first time so will be doing the usual tourist things.

Do Top of the Rock at the Rockefeller Centre instead of the Empire State Building. Simply, when you're up the Empire State you can't see the Empire State. Go up before dusk and watch the sun fall and the city light up.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Do Top of the Rock at the Rockefeller Centre instead of the Empire State Building. Simply, when you're up the Empire State you can't see the Empire State. Go up before dusk and watch the sun fall and the city light up.

Absolutely 100% THIS.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Ground Zero is a must, ride around a bit on the subways just for the hell of it and where is the Albion supporting bar? Worth popping in there wearing colours.

Plus go to see a Baseball/Hockey/NFL/Basketball or whatever else sporting event!

I hope you both enjoy and I am deeply envious.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

Definitely doing that. My plan to visit the Statue of Liberty has been scuppered by Superstorm Sandy.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Send me a PM with your home e-mail address if you like. I have a generic 'things to do in NYC' list that I can send to anyone who wants it.

Cheers.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
try manhattan by sail who have clipper ships doing a harbour tour from south street pier

if you have time and can spare a whole day fly from la guardia to niagara falls - it's around $300 collected from your hotel.

do the bus tours - lower manhatten, upper and brooklyn - good value
the Columbus is on the rear deck of USS Intrepid at 84th st pier on the hudson - visit via water taxi includes entry to the 9/11 memorial (edit: Robert Eaton's memorial is on the north toqwr pool -from memory
section 84 but if you walk round you will find it easily enough)

my favourite breakfast eating place is the tic toc diner on 8th & 34th but try hells kitchen for great french toasty breakfast. there is a flea market there on sunday mornings. Rock Cafe on Times Sq is fun too of course but eat somewhere different every day - dont miss little italy or chinatown or the village

a good show is Traces at Union Sqare theatre and cheaper than broadway plus there are some fabulous micro brewery pubs around the square

Spend the extra few dollars to go to the observatory at the very top of the empire state

Last edited:

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
Walk across this...

...get the best pizza in the world from Grimaldi's (eat in if cold or take out and eat outside looking back at Manhattan)...

...and then pick up an ice cream from the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory to eat on the walk back.

I've heard a LOT of good things about The High Line, which will be new since you visited, but I've not had a chance to explore myself yet.

I did this walk in December,and also had a pizza at Grimaldi's-well worth the wait.Id suggest getting a cab over to Brooklyn so that when you walk back your looking at the Manhatten Skyline.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Bozza has been nailing these answers, so i'll just back them up...

High Line is a great "new" (since you last went) addition. Top of the rock is so much better than Empire (the view down central park is crazy)

Plus, I love Seinfeld, so go here (even though they only filmed the exterior):
Tom's Restaurant - Home

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Like others on here finding new things to do is the fun of repeated visits to NYC, I have been six times, but the last trip I did the hi-line , great use of classic city infrastructure ..... Get the subway all the way to Coney Island .... its cheesy and seedy, but those classic skylines are unforgettable..... Also you must do oysters at grand central, and eat the best 'meat' of high quality at the historic Keens Chophouse, you won't regret it...... the Tenement Museum is v interesting too.

We also did a NY rangers vs NY islanders ice hockey at the garden.... Awesome local derby.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
We did a helicopter tour. Absolutely amazing to see NY from above. Give yourself plenty of time for Central Park too. We spent a good couple of hours wandering, and we barely scratched the surface!

The Albion bar is adjacent to Empire State, and had a signed Skint shirt inside, not to mention hundreds of other shirts from around the world. We popped in late morning so didn't stay for a drink, but it's 30 seconds from Empire State so worth a look!

D

Deleted member 18477

I'm looking to go to New York in the next year or so for my next holiday after the one this year. Where have you guys booked your deals? And how much were they/what do you get for it etc.?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Walk across this...

Thanks.

I was totally unaware of the High Line, it is now firmly on the things to do list for the trip. :thumbsup:

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Has anyone been to the Museum of the American Indian in Manhattan. Went past it in October and thought I must go there next time.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I'm looking to go to New York in the next year or so for my next holiday after the one this year. Where have you guys booked your deals? And how much were they/what do you get for it etc.?

I have booked my flights/accom seperately. I fly from Manchester so fairly limited options from their. Going with American Airlines and it was about £400 each. I'm staying at Marriott Residence Inn near Times Square and its £85 per night B&B.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here