Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton and Hove Albion v Newcastle United FA Cup round three***Official Match Thread***

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
FA Cup third round
Venue: AMEX StadiumDate: Saturday, 5 JanuaryKick-off: 12:30 GMT

TEAM NEWS
Brighton look set to be without winger Will Buckley who is struggling top be fit after a hamstring injury.

Full-back Bruno is likely to miss out with an Achilles injury, while winger Vicente is out with a thigh injury.

Newcastle are without midfielder Cheick Tiote who has left for the Africa Cup of Nations and Gael Bigirimana is battling to be fit with a dead leg.

Defender Steven Taylor (hamstring) and midfielder Yohan Cabaye (groin) are back in training but are unavailable.

MATCH FACTS
Head to head

• There's nothing to choose between Brighton and Newcastle; each have won seven of 17 competitive meetings.

• This is the second successive season they have met in the FA Cup. Brighton pulled off a shock 1-0 fourth round win at the Amex Stadium last season, courtesy of a 76th-minute own goal from Mike Williamson.

• It was the third successive time the Seagulls had dismissed Newcastle from the competition. The Magpies have only eliminated Brighton once; 3-0, in the fifth round in 1930.

Brighton & Hove Albion

Play media• Brighton have made the last 16 of the FA Cup in each of the last two seasons, and the fourth round prior to that, beginning their challenge from round one in two of them.

• Gus Poyet will be hoping his side do not succumb to Premier League opposition for the fourth season running.

• Jimmy Melia famously gave the Seagulls their best day out in the FA Cup, when the players arrived at Wembley by helicopter for the 1983 final and duly held Manchester United to a 2-2 draw after extra time. They then lost the replay 4-0.

Newcastle United

• Newcastle have been knocked out by lower league opposition in each of the last two seasons. League Two Stevenage defeated them in the season before last.

• The Magpies have lost their last three FA Cup away matches, and have not dismissed a club on opposition territory in nine attempts, since Cheltenham, in the fourth round in 2006.

• The Geordie club have won the FA Cup six times, but not since 1955, and last appeared in the final in 1999. They are one of seven Premier League clubs endeavouring to overcome Championship opposition in this third round.

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew will be without midfielder Cheick Tiote for Saturday’s FA Cup third round trip to npower Championship Brighton.
The Ivory Coast international left for the African Nations Cup after Wednesday night’s 2-1 Barclays Premier League defeat by Everton, and potential replacement Gael Bigirimana is battling a dead leg.
Striker Demba Ba’s impending move to Chelsea has left a vacancy in attack, and while central defender Steven Taylor (hamstring) and midfielder Yohan Cabaye (groin) are back in training, they remain unavailable along with full-back Ryan Taylor(knee) and midfielders Hatem Ben Arfa (hamstring), Jonas Gutierrez, Dan Gosling and Haris Vuckic (all knee).

Provisional squad: Krul, Elliot, Harper, Santon, Ferguson, Tavernier, Coloccini, Williamson, Perch, Streete, Bigirimana, Anita, Marveaux, Sammy Ameobi, Obertan, Abeid, Cisse, Shola Ameobi, Ranger.

Brighton winger Will Buckley looks set to miss out on the chance to recreate his FA Cup heroics against Newcastle.
Buckley's deflected strike sent the Toon tumbling out of the fourth round last season, but the boyhood Newcastle fan is struggling with a hamstring injury and is not expected to be fit for the third-round rematch.
Right-back Bruno is also likely to sit out with an Achilles injury while fellow Spaniard Vicente is still not fit after a thigh problem.
Jake Forster-Caskey and Romain Vincelot are back with the Seagulls following loan spells and are available, although boss Gus Poyet is expected to field his strongest side.
Winger Kazenga LuaLua will be hoping to line up against his former club.
Newcastle boss Alan Pardew will be without midfielder Cheick Tiote for the trip to Brighton.
The Ivory Coast international left for the Africa Cup of Nations after Wednesday night's 2-1 Premier League defeat by Everton, and potential replacement Gael Bigirimana is battling a dead leg.
Striker Demba Ba's move to Chelsea has left a vacancy in attack, and while central defender Steven Taylor (hamstring) and midfielder Yohan Cabaye (groin) are back in training, they remain unavailable along with full-back Ryan Taylor (knee) and midfielders Hatem Ben Arfa (hamstring), Jonas Gutierrez, Dan Gosling and Haris Vuckic (all knee).

Minnow-killers: Brighton's Poyet dreads meeting big sides after Cup humiliation at Anfield Albion Boss preparing to face Newcastle reveals he "hated" 6-1 loss to Liverpool in which his lads scored three own-goals - and didn't speak for two days
After! 'I wanted to make a hole in the ground and hide for ever': Poyet on Cup crushing.
Gus Poyet has many happy FA Cup memories, especially against Newcastle.
But Brighton manager Poyet admits his last experience in the competition was the worst of his managerial career.
The ambitious League One club beat Alan Pardew’s Magpies in the fourth round last January, to earn a high-profile tie against Liverpool at Anfield.
Despite holding the Reds at 1-1 until the brink of half-time, Albion scored THREE own goals and eventually lost 6-1 in a bizarre game beamed live into homes, pubs and bars across the world.
“I hated it – I didn’t talk for two days,” said the former Chelsea and Spurs midfielder.
“At home, everybody knew that when I was coming back from Liverpool that they were not allowed to talk to me for two days. They know me now.
“I had thought that for an hour or 70 minutes we were going to be able to do it. I was wrong. We did it only for 40 minutes. We didn’t score one own goal all season and we scored three that day.
“It doesn’t matter if you play Liverpool and it’s a top team away at Anfield, I hated it. I was sitting in there and wanted to make a hole in the ground and go in and hide for ever.
“People say, ‘Let’s have Chelsea away, Manchester City away.'
"No, no, no. Give me the smaller team - at home. I don’t want to go there and lose 7-0. I’m sorry, I don’t.
“I don’t care about the experience of the players, I care about me sitting there and taking it. I don’t like that.”
At lunchtime on Saturday, Brighton face Newcastle live on ITV1 - the first time they have been live on UK-wide terrestrial television since January 1984, when they beat Liverpool 2-0 at the old Goldstone Ground.
There has been a lot of history since.
Brighton, owned by poker player Tony Bloom, are now in the £93million Amex Stadium and sit three points off the *Championship play-off places.
But there is still a long way to go for Uruguayan Poyet, who signed a five-year contract in September 2011.
“I always look forward,” he said. “I don’t sit down and look where we were three years ago - 7,000 people at Withdean, trying to play whatever football just to get away from relegation.
“And now 26,000 here every week playing the kind of football that I really enjoy watching. But we need to keep improving because if not, I’m not happy.”
After claiming his side has squandered “eight or nine points” at home this season, Poyet said signing a proven Premier League striker would make him very happy.
“They make a difference, the boys at the front,” said the 45-year-old.
“You know what they say: in England you’re only as good as your two strikers. So we can always blame the strikers, never the manager!”
Chelsea-bound Newcastle striker Demba Ba will not feature, and Poyet quipped: “I am very glad he is not playing. And if they want to leave Papiss Cisse out, I will be very happy.”
Poyet scored twice against Newcastle in the 2000 semi-final on the way to winning the FA Cup with Chelsea – and found the net against them as a Spurs player.
Jimmy Melia’s Brighton also beat the Toon in the third round back in 1983 on the way to Wembley.
“I hope that’ll be the case again and that we’ll be involved in the final,” said Poyet.
Is being gubbed by one of the big boys better than beating a minnow? Have your say below.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
No whinging from me about prices. I'll be there :clap::clap:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Ditto and I hope when we draw non-league the next round at home the prices remain the same.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Referee: LEE PROBERT
Assistants: Darren Cann & Charles Breakspear
Fourth Official: Andy Woolmer

FA Cup Matches at Brighton
Brighton wins - 1
Newcastle wins - 0
Draws - 1
Brighton goals - 2
Newcastle goals - 1

FA Cup Results at Brighton (all time)
28.01.2012 r4 Brighton 1-0 Newcastle
08.01.1983 r3 Brighton 1-1 Newcastle

Last Season
Brighton 1-0 Newcastle
Attendance: 21,558
Possession: 46% - 54%
Shots: 6 - 14
On target: 3 - 10
Corners: 4 - 7
Fouls: 3 - 9
Yellows: 1 - 2
Goal: Williamson (76 og)

Will-Buckley-goal-Brighton-vs-Newcastle_2709675.jpg

b_H_243435k.jpg

101565734_Brighton_257397c.jpg

12618414-650x477.jpg

_58160387_guspoyetclappinggetty.jpg

0f7748e5-b224-4915-88b1-b92e11ce2860_2a675010-e223-40c8-b003-2e2d9534dac6.jpg

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Lee probert was the ref at the Amex last year when we beat Newcastle 1-0

Love the FA cup 3rd round wouldn't miss it for the world one of the best days in the sporting calendar

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Ditto and I hope when we draw non-league the next round at home the prices remain the same.

It won't be.

Apparently the club have a sliding percentage scale for the price depending on the attractiveness of the fixture. Today is 100%.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Reasonable effort with that thread title, I reckon 1-1.

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
Tiote, Cisse, Coloccini, the Taylors, Gutierrez, Ben Arfa and Cabaye all missing and Debuchy didn't sign in time, I'm feeling a lot more positive about today's game

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

Nor me, bought my ticket but won't be there. This bloody flu-y type virus going round has completely wiped me out. Will be a brand new experience for me today watching a home game on telly - never done that before. Anyone know if the club refund tickets?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
[MENTION=3861]lee[/MENTION]_ryder: #nufc Elliot; Tavernier, Williamson, Perch, Santon; Anita, Bigirimana; Obertan, Abeid, Sammy Ameobi; Shola Ameobi.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here