Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Driving INTO London on a Friday evening

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Is it a nightmare to drive into central London from the South on a Friday evening? Is all the traffic coming the other way?

If it's shithouse, I'll get a train.

Thanks.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
that entirely depends whereabouts in central London you are going and the route you will take.
Also when you say from the south do you mean from Brighton or south London?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Surely letting the train take the strain is a better option? Put your feet up, crack open a drink and before you know it you're in town.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Is it a nightmare to drive into central London from the South on a Friday evening? Is all the traffic coming the other way?

If it's shithouse, I'll get a train.

Thanks.

Where you heading to? A3 is my favoured route for getting into London - as far as Wandsworth town is usually pretty hassle free. It's then just a case of avoiding Wandsworth itself and using shortcuts to destination. I will be doing this tomorrow to get to Brixton.

Btw, take A244 from A24 at Leatherhead jctn of M25 to avoid that road all together

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Driving in should be fine, just remember to avoid the congestion zone if travelling before 6pm, or remember to pay. But parking is another matter, most parking bays have been given over to Boris bikes or electric re-charging stations.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Where you heading to? A3 is my favoured route for getting into London - as far as Wandsworth town is usually pretty hassle free. It's then just a case of avoiding Wandsworth itself and using shortcuts to destination. I will be doing this tomorrow to get to Brixton.

Btw, take A244 from A24 at Leatherhead jctn of M25 to avoid that road all together

agree about the A3, though depends where you're coming from as going so far around the M25 to get the A3 from the M23 is a bit of a false economy. Any road other than the A23 is a good plan generally, i found the A217 then the A24 through Tooting/Balham is better. there is a certain amount of "traffic coming the other way" but it doesnt count for much when you get deep into south London.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
But parking is another matter, most parking bays have been given over to Boris bikes or electric re-charging stations.

They have? News to me and I've lived/worked in central London for 7 years.

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
Again, depends where you are coming from and too and what time you want to get home at! I drive in to Westminster when working late to avoid copious amounts of lager monsters on the train home. Train is easier and will cost the same but nothing beats getting in to your own car to go home.

Loads of parking and congestion charging finishes at 6 i think so you will be fine.

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
I drive to London a couple of times a week and the best route for me to get to Kensington area is -
A23 - M25 (1 jct)
A217
A240 Reigate Rd to the Tolworth Roundabout
A3
A306 Roehampton/Barnes
Hammersmith Bridge

On a good run 1hr 20mins, on a bad run over 2hrs but Friday evening should be good!!

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Driving into London is absolutely fine. It's NEVER as bad as people lead you to believe and parking is rarely an issue as most residential zones are Mon - Fri, especially in SW.

It's also cheaper than the train if you have an economical car.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'll be going from Gatwick-ish to Waterloo-ish. Main reason for considering the car is I'll have a very large heavy bag and a baby's buggy (no baby) and the thought of lugging through stations and making changes etc does not thrill me.

Maybe I'll drive to New Malden - plenty of free on-street parking and get the train from there which is direct to Waterloo.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I'll be going from Gatwick-ish to Waterloo-ish. Main reason for considering the car is I'll have a very large heavy bag and a baby's buggy (no baby) and the thought of lugging through stations and making changes etc does not thrill me.

Maybe I'll drive to New Malden - plenty of free on-street parking and get the train from there which is direct to Waterloo.

You could drive as far as Clapham Junction - plenty of fee on street parking after 4pm on a Friday. Straight up the A3

A23,A217,A24,park for free around Tooting the Northern line to Waterloo.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here