Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2013

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Here is the year’s schedule of movies, links to all films and a regularly updated list of release dates can be found here: IMDb: Upcoming Releases for UK

Year starts with:
The Impossible (a film based on a true story of a Spanish family caught in and separated by a tsunami, and how they find each other again). Playing For keeps (this year’s “divorced father tries to get his life back on track” film) and Quartet (Dustin Hoffman’s directorial debut, starring Maggie Smith, Tom Courtenay, Michael Gambon, Pauline Collins as residents of a retirement home for former stars of opera, music and stage) all are released on New Year’s Day.

The Third Dimension
Despite claims 3D was a dying format, it survived 2012, and the schedule for this year is still full of 3D films such as converted re-releases such as Monsters Inc 3D, Finding Nemo 3D, Jurassic Park 3D, Star Wars Episodes 2 + 3 3D, but also remake/sequel of sorts Texas Chainsaw, and more original fare such as Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters . A lot of other films are also in 3D this year...

Big Ones
There are a few big films coming this year, the one that I’m most excited for (which also has a lot of Oscar buzz) comes early, only a week and a bit into the year. After 27+ years on the stage, Cameron Mackintosh and Andrew Lloyd Webber’s production of Les Misrables (2012) - IMDb gets it’s big screen outing. Most reviews have been kind, raving reserved for Anne Hathaway’s stripped down and intensely personal interpretation of ‘I Dreamed a Dream’, with less kind words for Russell Crowe’s Javert. It has received some criticism, but this mostly seems to be the same ones people who don’t like the show give it. If you don’t like the stage show, chances are this won’t be for you. I love the stage show.

Spike Lee has been critical of Quentin Tarantino doing his thing to the serious topic of America’s history of Slavery, but that hasn’t dampened hype for Django Unchained (2012) - IMDb

From the director of he Hurt Locker comes Zero Dark Thirty (2012) - IMDb a film about the assassination of Osama Bin Laden, stars current hot property Jessica Chastain.

Spielberg’s big film this year is another garnering a lot of Oscar talk, as reports of Daniel Day Lewis doing his thing on set of Lincoln (2012) - IMDb

This year’s attempt by Hollywood to capture the magic of the ensemble film that has only really been done well in Love Actually is Movie 43 (2013) - IMDb it is likely it will bomb as these American attempts at ensemble films tend to do, but I think the trailer looks quite fun so am rather looking forward to it.

For Judd Apatow fans, This Is 40 follows Knocked Up, but focuses on Leslie Mann and Pal Rudd’s characters. Katherine Heigl and Seth Rogan do not appear.

From the Wachoskis, the pair behind The Matrix comes an adaptation of hit novel - Cloud Atlas (2012) - IMDb starring Tom Hanks, Halle Berry and Hugh Grant looking at the interconnected nature of souls and actions, and the ripple of an act of kindness.

Sam Raimi goes over the rainbow to bring us James Franco as the Wizard and Rachel Weisz, Michelle Williams and Mila Kunis as witches in Oz: The Great and Powerful 3D.

Bryan Singers long awaited Jack the Giant Slayer 3D is due out this year, starring Nicholas Hoult in an alternate take on the beanstalk tale.

The crew of the enterprise return in Star Trek Into Darkness 3D, Baz Luhrman’s take on the classic novel The Great Gatsby 3D is dreaded and eagerly anticipated in equal measure.

Zack Snyder brings the latest version of Superman to the big screen in Man of Steel (2013) - IMDb 3D. Trailers show a film that doesn’t look like a typical Snyder film, and a feel heavily influenced by Chris Nolan and David S Goyer who wrote the film with the same dark brooding feeling of Nolan’s Batman films. However, is dark and brooding right for superman?

Brad Pitt finally brings World War Z (2013) - IMDb to our screens. The hype for this started a while back.

Johnny Depp and Gore Verbinski reunite for The Lone Ranger (2013) - IMDb

Nick Frost, Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright reunite for The World’s End

I was surprised by how much I thoroughly enjoyed Percy Jackson: The Lightning Thief, so am now eagerly looking forward to Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters 3D. I suspect most people reading this won’t be interested.

Part two of Peter Jackson’s 3 film adaptation The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D arrives this year.

Is it a Bird...
Marvel Phase Two starts as Robert Downey Junior returns in Iron Man 3 3D, which appears to be using the Extremis storyline, with the addition of classic Iron Man villain The Mandarin.

Aaron Johnson returns in a sequel to the cult favourite Kick Ass 2.

Hugh Jackman has promised an improvement on Origins, in The Wolverine 3D.

In more of Marvel’s Phase Two, the Australian Viking returns in Thor: The Dark World 3D. Kat Dennings :love: .

Sometimes They Come Back...
This year, sequels come to us from The Hangover part 3, Despicable Me 2 3D, Scary Movie 5 Grown Ups 2, RED 2, 300: Rise of an Empire 3D, The Smurfs 2 3D, Cloudy 2: Revenge of the leftovers 3D, Paranormal Activity 5, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, Monster University 3D

Can You Tell What it Is Yet...
This year’s new animation big hitters are from Disney Wreck-It Ralph (2012) - IMDb, Dream works gives us The Croods 3D, and Fox give us a less cutesy Epic 3D.

Haven’t We Met Before?
It wouldn’t be right to not have a few remakes... Chloe Moretz takes the title role in a remake of Steven Kings Carrie. ‘Suburgatory’s Jane Levy stars in a remake of cult classic Evil Dead.

Dirty Dancing is in the schedule, but only has a director announced – Kenny Ortega who was the choreographer of the original Dirty Dancing from 1987.

Probably not fair to call it a remake, but yet another production of Romeo and Juliet starring True Gritt’ Hailee Steinfeld as Juliet, and ‘Homeland’s Damian Lewis as Lord Capulet and someone called Douglas Booth plays Romeo.

Maybe We Should Split up, Cover More Ground
This year’s highlights of tense and scary come from odd Rom/Horror Warm Bodies (starring Nicholas Hoult as a zombie who starts to recover when he finds love), Stoker (Mia Wasikowska stars as a girl whose father dies, and his brother, Matthew Goode suddenly reappears, but something isn’t quite right...).

The supposedly true story of a fast food server being stripped searched and abused by her boss and her bosses’ boyfriend at the telephone request of a man claiming to be from the police is told in Compliance.

Kaboom! Pow! Splat!
It appears to be the year of Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson. Not content with returning to WWE, where he made his name, for the first few months of the year, he also has a slew of films out including the sequels GI Joe: Retaliation 3D and The Fast and the Furious 6, and original films Snitch (where he plays a father who makes a deal with the government to protect his son from prison) and Pain & Gain from Michael Bay.

Bruce Willis refuses to die in the fifth instalment, A Good Day to Die Hard. How can the same shit happen to the same guy five times?

Not to be outdone, Arnie and Sly return in 80’s style action films The Last Stand (Sheriff in small town takes a stand against a gang of criminals) and Bullet to the Head (grizzled cop investigates old partner’s murder while burdened with some modern by-the-book rookie) respectively.

Denzel saves a plane in Flight, then things get interesting.

After Earth Will Smith and Son star in an M Night Shyamalan film about a father and son who explore a planet abandoned by humans 1000 years earlier. I’m calling it here: film will end with us discovering it’s before Earth.

White House Down sees Channing Tatum save the White House from an invasion of paramilitary groups. Elysium sees Matt Damon try to bring balance between the rich of the future living on a special space station, and the poor of the future living on a desolate earth.

Chris Pine takes over from Harrison Ford, Alec Baldwin and Ben Affleck as the title character in Jack Ryan, showing Ryan’s early days in the CIA.

To be, or not to be: that is the question
Bill Murray was the surprise pick to take on the role of US President FDR in Hyde Park on Hudson.

People who enjoyed BBC’s ‘The Girl’ might like Hitchcock with Anthony Hopkins in the title role.

To The Wonder is Terrence Malick’s latest offering. No word on if it will make any sense.

I fart in your general direction
Seth Rogan take his mum on a road trip in The Guilt Trip. Jason Bateman has his details stolen by Bridesmaid’s Melissa McCarthy in Identity Thief.

Frank Langella is given a robot, and decides to carry out a heist with him in Robot & Frank

John Dies at the End (2012) - IMDb sees two college drop outs trying to save the world from a new street drug that sends people across time and dimensions.

Kids take a college bookworm out to celebrate his 21st birthday the day before he has an important job interview in 21 and Over.

Ooh, What’s This...
Saoirse Ronan and Gemma Arterton play mother and daughter vampires who form a deadly pact in Byzantium.

Saoirse Ronan stars in The Host an adaptation of Twilight’s Stephanie Meyer’s other novel.

Saoirse Ronan does not star in The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones (2013) - IMDb 3D. A film starring Lily Collins and ‘Misfits’ Robert Sheehan about a hidden reality in our world infested with Demons and people fighting them. Lily Collins may be the key to this battle.

Looks to me like an average year. Some big films, some that will no doubt fall flat, some small films that will surprise.

Dates likely will change, and more films will be added to the list over the course of the year, so if you care, remember to keep checking: IMDb: Upcoming Releases for UK

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Valentines day: A Good Day to Die Harder.

That is all the film action I need this year.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Might be cheatful to include a film i saw yesterday, in 2012, but it is 2013 now and i choose to write in the present. It was Jack Reacher that i saw. At points it was hilarious in its acting and the script which Cruise as producer would have madly high-fived the writer in gratitude for looking to macho him up, but i sat through it, chortling at times. Hadn't been to the cinema for about a month and that could have been the partial cause. The hunger for seeing Werner Herzog raising a million for his next documentary as a self-tortured villain had something to do with it too. He's creepy.
Overall, it failed in its 12A rating, i thought, therefore making it bloodfree in its supposed knuckledusting, murdercase-solving bruise-up schlockery. No swearing, no real result of the bullets fired or the punches sometimes thrown. Also, one of the denouement fights has Tom Cruise exhausted after throwing about 3 jabs and being on the end of 2. Gee whizz, what a 9 second scrap that was. It went against the whole ludicrous shit 80s tv show feeling of it where a man who calls himself a lone wolf and attached to no man or law of this godforsaken land solves a mystery whilst everyone around him either falls in love or ends up tepidly dead. But can't actually be ensnared in a battle of eternal fisticuffs for more than a few slaps each way.
It was a laughable and not very suspenseful piece, but it had a slight foolish charm to it, and was very amusing to see the desperation of Cruise clinging to a machoman rep he never had. Ach, see it for humour's sake.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Here is the year’s schedule of movies, links to all films and a regularly updated list of release dates can be found here: IMDb: Upcoming Releases for UK

Year starts with:
The Impossible (a film based on a true story of a Spanish family caught in and separated by a tsunami, and how they find each other again). Playing For keeps (this year’s “divorced father tries to get his life back on track” film) and Quartet (Dustin Hoffman’s directorial debut, starring Maggie Smith, Tom Courtenay, Michael Gambon, Pauline Collins as residents of a retirement home for former stars of opera, music and stage) all are released on New Year’s Day.

The Third Dimension
Despite claims 3D was a dying format, it survived 2012, and the schedule for this year is still full of 3D films such as converted re-releases such as Monsters Inc 3D, Finding Nemo 3D, Jurassic Park 3D, Star Wars Episodes 2 + 3 3D, but also remake/sequel of sorts Texas Chainsaw, and more original fare such as Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters . A lot of other films are also in 3D this year...

Big Ones
There are a few big films coming this year, the one that I’m most excited for (which also has a lot of Oscar buzz) comes early, only a week and a bit into the year. After 27+ years on the stage, Cameron Mackintosh and Andrew Lloyd Webber’s production of Les Misrables (2012) - IMDb gets it’s big screen outing. Most reviews have been kind, raving reserved for Anne Hathaway’s stripped down and intensely personal interpretation of ‘I Dreamed a Dream’, with less kind words for Russell Crowe’s Javert. It has received some criticism, but this mostly seems to be the same ones people who don’t like the show give it. If you don’t like the stage show, chances are this won’t be for you. I love the stage show.

Spike Lee has been critical of Quentin Tarantino doing his thing to the serious topic of America’s history of Slavery, but that hasn’t dampened hype for Django Unchained (2012) - IMDb

From the director of he Hurt Locker comes Zero Dark Thirty (2012) - IMDb a film about the assassination of Osama Bin Laden, stars current hot property Jessica Chastain.

Spielberg’s big film this year is another garnering a lot of Oscar talk, as reports of Daniel Day Lewis doing his thing on set of Lincoln (2012) - IMDb

This year’s attempt by Hollywood to capture the magic of the ensemble film that has only really been done well in Love Actually is Movie 43 (2013) - IMDb it is likely it will bomb as these American attempts at ensemble films tend to do, but I think the trailer looks quite fun so am rather looking forward to it.

For Judd Apatow fans, This Is 40 follows Knocked Up, but focuses on Leslie Mann and Pal Rudd’s characters. Katherine Heigl and Seth Rogan do not appear.

From the Wachoskis, the pair behind The Matrix comes an adaptation of hit novel - Cloud Atlas (2012) - IMDb starring Tom Hanks, Halle Berry and Hugh Grant looking at the interconnected nature of souls and actions, and the ripple of an act of kindness.

Sam Raimi goes over the rainbow to bring us James Franco as the Wizard and Rachel Weisz, Michelle Williams and Mila Kunis as witches in Oz: The Great and Powerful 3D.

Bryan Singers long awaited Jack the Giant Slayer 3D is due out this year, starring Nicholas Hoult in an alternate take on the beanstalk tale.

The crew of the enterprise return in Star Trek Into Darkness 3D, Baz Luhrman’s take on the classic novel The Great Gatsby 3D is dreaded and eagerly anticipated in equal measure.

Zack Snyder brings the latest version of Superman to the big screen in Man of Steel (2013) - IMDb 3D. Trailers show a film that doesn’t look like a typical Snyder film, and a feel heavily influenced by Chris Nolan and David S Goyer who wrote the film with the same dark brooding feeling of Nolan’s Batman films. However, is dark and brooding right for superman?

Brad Pitt finally brings World War Z (2013) - IMDb to our screens. The hype for this started a while back.

Johnny Depp and Gore Verbinski reunite for The Lone Ranger (2013) - IMDb

Nick Frost, Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright reunite for The World’s End

I was surprised by how much I thoroughly enjoyed Percy Jackson: The Lightning Thief, so am now eagerly looking forward to Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters 3D. I suspect most people reading this won’t be interested.

Part two of Peter Jackson’s 3 film adaptation The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D arrives this year.

Is it a Bird...
Marvel Phase Two starts as Robert Downey Junior returns in Iron Man 3 3D, which appears to be using the Extremis storyline, with the addition of classic Iron Man villain The Mandarin.

Aaron Johnson returns in a sequel to the cult favourite Kick Ass 2.

Hugh Jackman has promised an improvement on Origins, in The Wolverine 3D.

In more of Marvel’s Phase Two, the Australian Viking returns in Thor: The Dark World 3D. Kat Dennings :love: .

Sometimes They Come Back...
This year, sequels come to us from The Hangover part 3, Despicable Me 2 3D, Scary Movie 5 Grown Ups 2, RED 2, 300: Rise of an Empire 3D, The Smurfs 2 3D, Cloudy 2: Revenge of the leftovers 3D, Paranormal Activity 5, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, Monster University 3D

Can You Tell What it Is Yet...
This year’s new animation big hitters are from Disney Wreck-It Ralph (2012) - IMDb, Dream works gives us The Croods 3D, and Fox give us a less cutesy Epic 3D.

Haven’t We Met Before?
It wouldn’t be right to not have a few remakes... Chloe Moretz takes the title role in a remake of Steven Kings Carrie. ‘Suburgatory’s Jane Levy stars in a remake of cult classic Evil Dead.

Dirty Dancing is in the schedule, but only has a director announced – Kenny Ortega who was the choreographer of the original Dirty Dancing from 1987.

Probably not fair to call it a remake, but yet another production of Romeo and Juliet starring True Gritt’ Hailee Steinfeld as Juliet, and ‘Homeland’s Damian Lewis as Lord Capulet and someone called Douglas Booth plays Romeo.

Maybe We Should Split up, Cover More Ground
This year’s highlights of tense and scary come from odd Rom/Horror Warm Bodies (starring Nicholas Hoult as a zombie who starts to recover when he finds love), Stoker (Mia Wasikowska stars as a girl whose father dies, and his brother, Matthew Goode suddenly reappears, but something isn’t quite right...).

The supposedly true story of a fast food server being stripped searched and abused by her boss and her bosses’ boyfriend at the telephone request of a man claiming to be from the police is told in Compliance.

Kaboom! Pow! Splat!
It appears to be the year of Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson. Not content with returning to WWE, where he made his name, for the first few months of the year, he also has a slew of films out including the sequels GI Joe: Retaliation 3D and The Fast and the Furious 6, and original films Snitch (where he plays a father who makes a deal with the government to protect his son from prison) and Pain & Gain from Michael Bay.

Bruce Willis refuses to die in the fifth instalment, A Good Day to Die Hard. How can the same shit happen to the same guy five times?

Not to be outdone, Arnie and Sly return in 80’s style action films The Last Stand (Sheriff in small town takes a stand against a gang of criminals) and Bullet to the Head (grizzled cop investigates old partner’s murder while burdened with some modern by-the-book rookie) respectively.

Denzel saves a plane in Flight, then things get interesting.

After Earth Will Smith and Son star in an M Night Shyamalan film about a father and son who explore a planet abandoned by humans 1000 years earlier. I’m calling it here: film will end with us discovering it’s before Earth.

White House Down sees Channing Tatum save the White House from an invasion of paramilitary groups. Elysium sees Matt Damon try to bring balance between the rich of the future living on a special space station, and the poor of the future living on a desolate earth.

Chris Pine takes over from Harrison Ford, Alec Baldwin and Ben Affleck as the title character in Jack Ryan, showing Ryan’s early days in the CIA.

To be, or not to be: that is the question
Bill Murray was the surprise pick to take on the role of US President FDR in Hyde Park on Hudson.

People who enjoyed BBC’s ‘The Girl’ might like Hitchcock with Anthony Hopkins in the title role.

To The Wonder is Terrence Malick’s latest offering. No word on if it will make any sense.

I fart in your general direction
Seth Rogan take his mum on a road trip in The Guilt Trip. Jason Bateman has his details stolen by Bridesmaid’s Melissa McCarthy in Identity Thief.

Frank Langella is given a robot, and decides to carry out a heist with him in Robot & Frank

John Dies at the End (2012) - IMDb sees two college drop outs trying to save the world from a new street drug that sends people across time and dimensions.

Kids take a college bookworm out to celebrate his 21st birthday the day before he has an important job interview in 21 and Over.

Ooh, What’s This...
Saoirse Ronan and Gemma Arterton play mother and daughter vampires who form a deadly pact in Byzantium.

Saoirse Ronan stars in The Host an adaptation of Twilight’s Stephanie Meyer’s other novel.

Saoirse Ronan does not star in The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones (2013) - IMDb 3D. A film starring Lily Collins and ‘Misfits’ Robert Sheehan about a hidden reality in our world infested with Demons and people fighting them. Lily Collins may be the key to this battle.

Looks to me like an average year. Some big films, some that will no doubt fall flat, some small films that will surprise.

Dates likely will change, and more films will be added to the list over the course of the year, so if you care, remember to keep checking: IMDb: Upcoming Releases for UK

I'll be hopefuly seeing some more interesting films than what IMDB vomits up to be copied and pasted but World War Z looks quite good.

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Might try and see a few of these this year, although not really a fan of cinema and usually wait for most stuff to come out on DVD.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
The Impossible. The Odeon on the seafront had this on in the tiny screen 8 for its first day of release and for only two showings. Surprising considering all the advertising. Unsurprising that tje first screening sold out.

As for the film itself. Pretty good. And as it is based on a true story, all the more incredible.

7/10

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
The Impossible. The Odeon on the seafront had this on in the tiny screen 8 for its first day of release and for only two showings. Surprising considering all the advertising. Unsurprising that tje first screening sold out.

As for the film itself. Pretty good. And as it is based on a true story, all the more incredible.

7/10
Thought the same myself going to see it tomorrow only 3 shows down the Marina tomorrow in it's opening days earliest screening is 2:50 everyone I talk to is looking forward to see this film thought it would have been on the bigger screens at the odeon
Brighton is rubbish for cinemas

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'll be hopefuly seeing some more interesting films than what IMDB vomits up to be copied and pasted but World War Z looks quite good.

Odd. I'm not sure what you mean. If it's a complaint against the lack of variety in mainstream movies, IMDB doesn't make films it's just a database of information about it, it's not imdb's fault mainstream movies are so formulaic. If it's a complaint against the films mentioned, it's not imdb's fault I picked those films to highlight.

They listed the films that have official release dates (including some dvd releases, festival debuts, limited releases etc), and I cherry picked the ones I recognised, so if you're upset about the films listed, that's my fault. Admittedly I had a bias towards mainstream films, but that's because I left it late and didn't really look into indie/foreign films to highlight. Though to be honest I suspect while there are posters here who like the less mainstream films, the majority of posters aren't that interested so I assumed those that were would already know what they were interested in seeing this year, and what indie films are on the horizon.

Really looking forward to seeing The Impossible, The Desolation of Smaug and Les Miserables.

As long as every single word in the latter isn't sung.

Erm...

Last edited:

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Odd. I'm not sure what you mean. If it's a complaint against the lack of variety in mainstream movies, IMDB doesn't make films it's just a database of information about it, it's not imdb's fault mainstream movies are so formulaic. If it's a complaint against the films mentioned, it's not imdb's fault I picked those films to highlight.

They listed the films that have official release dates (including some dvd releases, festival debuts, limited releases etc), and I cherry picked the ones I recognised, so if you're upset about the films listed, that's my fault. Admittedly I had a bias towards mainstream films, but that's because I left it late and didn't really look into indie/foreign films to highlight. Though to be honest I suspect while there are posters here who like the less mainstream films, the majority of posters aren't that interested so I assumed those that were would already know what they were interested in seeing this year, and what indie films are on the horizon.

Erm...

I'm guessing it's like the stage production then? :facepalm:

Or did you misinterpret me? I hope not every word is sung. I quite like the songs but singing EVERY DAMN WORD irritated me.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Or did you misinterpret me? I hope not every word is sung. I quite like the songs but singing EVERY DAMN WORD irritated me.

Yeah, my erm... was more of a "I don't know how to break this to you" erm.

As far as I know, every word in the film is sung. However, they've approached the songs in a different way. They haven't recorded the songs in a studio then mimed along to them while filming the scenes, they've sung "live" on set as they filmed, so there is a greater emphasis on acting through song. So, although every word will be sung some of the lyrics maybe be more low-key and almost like they are spoken rather than sung out forcefully.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The Hobbit
I saw this last year, and according to the pdf file on the cineworld website, that showing was in the 48fps higher frame rate. It looked no different to me. I went to see it again today, and it was again listed as in 48fps, and this time it actually looked like it.

I still think the stone giants are unnecessary, and it feels very much like so much is unnecessary, but I did like it a little more.

The look of 48 frames was a bit weird. I didn't mind the way it looked (some have complained it makes the sets look like sets, whereas on 24fps it looks more natural). But what did bother me was some actions looked like they were sped up too much. Movements that were supposed to look deliberate ended up looking rushed.

Pitch Perfect
I really enjoyed this, though I like musicals and such. I particularly mash ups and remixes and so enjoyed that aspect of the film too. The performances were good, though the characters barely went on much of a journey, the film tends to rely on the music and the competition more than the story. Anna Camp has always looked old fashioned to me, but looked a little more modern. Probably not the sort of film to find it's audience in the football community, but I liked it.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Went to see The Impossible this afternoon.
All you can really say about it are that the graphic of the tsunami were stunning. Crushing onslaught of the Indian Ocean that only announces itself in the slightest with the blowing of one sheet of paper from a notebook being read. Then people turn and see it on top of them. It looked incredible and effects of the ravaged of the land and the bodies made for eye-goggling and watering effect. A shame that after everything settled it became cringingly dreary. Naomi Watts puts in a good show, just her and one of the three sons battling to survive. Ewan MacGregor gets the less riveting and cornily tearjerking part with the other sons and the desperation for the family to be reunited which didn't half go on. Gladly there's a flashback dream sort of bit near the end which lets us into the graphics again. Amazing.
A big disaster movie with some sickening moments near the start, but an eye-rolling groaner as it goes on.
MacGregor has very very hairy arms, i discovered though.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Went to see The Impossible this afternoon.
All you can really say about it are that the graphic of the tsunami were stunning. Crushing onslaught of the Indian Ocean that only announces itself in the slightest with the blowing of one sheet of paper from a notebook being read. Then people turn and see it on top of them. It looked incredible and effects of the ravaged of the land and the bodies made for eye-goggling and watering effect. A shame that after everything settled it became cringingly dreary. Naomi Watts puts in a good show, just her and one of the three sons battling to survive. Ewan MacGregor gets the less riveting and cornily tearjerking part with the other sons and the desperation for the family to be reunited which didn't half go on. Gladly there's a flashback dream sort of bit near the end which lets us into the graphics again. Amazing.
A big disaster movie with some sickening moments near the start, but an eye-rolling groaner as it goes on.
MacGregor has very very hairy arms, i discovered though.

There is absolutely nothing, whatsoever, wrong with hairy arms.
*defensive*

I went for a triple bill yesterday of films I only hal wanted to see or felt impelled to because of the approaching oscar season.

Quartet
A film about a former hugely successful operatic quartet reuniting in a nursing home for retired musicians. This was quite amusing, a typical british film of its ilk (despite being directed by Dustin Hoffman). An inoffensive (well, mostly, there were some jokes at the expense of people suffering dementia), good natured, relaxing sort of film that is good for a sunday morning. Doesn't challenge the art of film making or break any barriers, but has a good message, and it's nice to see someone older than 30 in a starring role.

The Impossible
Packed showing. Not sure I was as eye rolling as Meade's Ball, but agree that the early and late high points of the tsunami action made the low key aftermath scenes even more low key. I got the impression from the trailer that the boy with naomi would spend more time reuniting people in the hospital, but not so.And again I say, nothing wrong with hairy arms.

Life of Pi (2D)
This was the one I had least interest in. I haven't read the book, and the trailer did nothing to entice me. It is very beautifully shot, and the story is fine enough, but I didn't feel like I was drawn in or made to feel my original reluctance was misplaced.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I'm really looking forward to some of the big hitters this summer - namely Star Trek, Man of Steel, Iron Man and The Wolverine. Thankfully I have a girlfriend who has the patience to put up with all of my superhero/sci-fi nonsense.

Could be quite a big year for both films and games

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Texas Chainsaw 3D
I wasn't a fan of the original. Or its sequels. Or its remake. (No, I don't know why I keep watching them). There is some poor acting, some terrible story telling (either writing or editing as storylines appear to be cut, there's infidelity that seemingly has no point to it, not even as justification for later actions by other characters, because other characters don't find out. The 3D was largely pointless. But, the story goes in, what I thought, was a rather interesting direction in the last 20mins or so. There's also the issue of time line. This one follows on from the first film, which is specifically set in 1974. This one takes place in modern times, at most set 3 years ago, that's a gap of 36-39 years. The main character who was a baby during original events is now in her mid-20s. The film does it's best to obscure the year of the original events, but that made it all the more notable.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
My cinema visit today

Les Miserables
I *loved* this film. Yes, Russell Crowe sings like he has the flu. Yes, Amanda Seyfried sounds like she's sat on a washing machine on full spin. Yes, it's long. Yes, the singing is better in the stage show. However, the film is still utterly brilliant despite this. Where the singing is weaker, the emotion is conveyed much more effectively. My niece was moved to fears four times. That's four times more than when I took her to the stage show. I felt like the Thenardiers (Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter suffered from the emotion/acting over singing tactic the film took, as it reduced the comedic impact of their scenes, comedic impact that usually helps make the rest of the depression more bearable. They were still amusing, but mostly their asides and brief spoken parts as opposed to the song and the energy and verve it is usually sung with.

I've been looking forward to this for a while, and wasn't disappointed.

Gangster Squad
This film suffered for having to follow Les Mis. It was a decent film of its type, but that's not the type of film that usually appeals to me (LA Confidential would be an exception that springs to mind, and this was not up there with that, for me. Decent film, moves along nicely, but not the highlight of the day.

I may have followed that with a second showing of Les Mis.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
I went to the Gangster Squad yesterday and emerged with a sense of complete MEHness and a bit of embarrassment for the players involved. A lot of it was a cheap advert for the NRA and Ruben Fleischer the director should be the next to be quizzed by Krishnan Guru-Murthy about whether he feels responsible for guncrime in the US. Brutes of the law against brutes of illicitness without any moral quandry. It was such a flat film that looked to have had no effort put into it. I'll get in heavyweight actors like Sean Penn and Ryan Gosling and Josh Brolin and let them go for it, making a shit script come out on screen with the dazzle i'm without, thought Ruben. But it doesn't work in the slightest. Not a single laugh to be had and only Brolin has the merest bit of character to him, and that's pretty much just as the unforgiving slugger. No feel to it, no adventure, no braininess of plot or scheme, no real romance for life itself. No real representation of good or evil.
A poor Untouchables wannabe with a cheap Dick Tracy look and the same emotional heft of Commando. Even the Gos and his twinkling eyes couldn't save this letdown.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here