Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Official Site] Poyet: Turn Pressure into Goals

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Gus Poyet felt his side were punished for not capitalising on their early chances after the Seagulls lost 3-1 to Watford at the Amex...
The Albion boss was pleased with his side’s start but frustrated they could not convert the early pressure into goals.
He told seagulls.co.uk, “The idea was to start well. We started really quickly and put them under pressure but we had to score first because that’s very important in football. We didn’t do that.
“Knowing the way that Gianfranco plays they were always going to have a bit of the ball and would try to open us up. Then we had to be strong defensively but we failed in that. We did not take advantage when we were on top.
“We lost control of the game and it became too open. We did not know when to keep the ball and when to play long. That made it too open for my liking.
“We tried to address that at half–time but soon after they scored in a very bad defensive situation for us.
“You win and lose games inside both boxes and we were second best in both areas today. That is when you have a problem.”
The Uruguayan felt that his side were too weak in defence today, against a lively Watford forward line.
“We knew where the danger was and how we had to defend but we did not do it. We have to be good enough as a team to adapt when we play a team that plays different but we did not adapt well enough in defence.
“Watford play a certain way where you have to be strong defensively in certain positions, but we were not today. They were as I expected and they didn’t surprise me at all because I knew their qualities.
“We have been working on specific things; when you are not doing things right you need a bit of luck but today was not our day.
“It was a typical match where we had to score when we were on top and be strong defensively when we were not on top; we did not do well either way, so that cost us.”
Meanwhile Poyet confirmed that Will Buckley missed out owing to a hamstring injury.
“He had a bit of a problem and he was not fit enough to play today. It was partly precaution and we had to be sensible so that we don’t lose him for a long time. It is not bad but if everything goes okay he should be fit for Newcastle. I will have to decide if it’s a risk or not."

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here