Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do any takeaways/curry houses do gluten-free food in Sussex (H. Heath?)

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Can anybody recommend any decent restaurants/takeaway places that have gluten-free on the menu?

I'm new to this and pretty sure curry houses & pizzas are full of the stuff because of the pizza base and sauce thickener, but when I can't be arsed to make something specific and want a takeaway are there any options?

Also if anybody has a gluten/wheat free diet do they have any advice on good food replacements or things to avoid etc (from the gluten-free stuff)?

Thanks

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
would have thought curry is gluten free if you avoid the nann (difficult i know).

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
would have thought curry is gluten free if you avoid the nann (difficult i know).

Depends on the spice mix they are using and if they thicken the sauces with anything.

Also they would need to make sure there is no cross contamination.

My mother in law is a celiac and would not ever get a takeway as they do not understand the request gluten free.

Obviosly it depends on the severity of the condition, she would be violently ill at the slightest trace of gluten ever a tiny peice of bread on a knife.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
my daughter has to have a gluten free diet ..its so unfair for her that food costs more..and the bread tastes of cardboard (least what i would imagine it to taste like)...i see waffles are gluten free

PS when she dines out she goes to Carluccios in Brighton quite a lot because they do gluten free pasta and sauces

oxymoron

NSC Patron
Feb 25, 2011
Haldi, Indian restaurant in Southwater will do a gluten free menu for you just ring first.

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
It depends on how severe your reaction is, I follow a gluten free diet and although a slice of bread or pizza would make me really ill I can get away with small amounts in cooking sauces etc to a certain extent (e.g I will probably know the next day that I had it but I will b able to carry on with my life).
By the way in case your interested onion Bahaji made properly are gluten free (they use gram flour).

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
My mum is a long term coeliac and cannot have even the smallest amount if the stuff. Surprisingly Ask do a decent pizza and pasta GF menu both in restaurant and takeaway. I would have thought that curry would be tricky.

Flex Your Head

Both my mum and brother have coeliac disease and have to follow a strict gluten-free diet. The most useful resource they use is the book listed here:

Food and Drink Directory | Coeliac UK

Beer, lagers, stouts and ales contain varying amounts of gluten and are therefore not safe for people with coeliac disease - that's what my brother finds hardest, so he's had to learn to like cider. Bleuurghh!

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
My mum is a long term coeliac and cannot have even the smallest amount if the stuff. Surprisingly Ask do a decent pizza and pasta GF menu both in restaurant and takeaway. I would have thought that curry would be tricky.

Thank you very much for the info about Ask. I had no idea about that, one has just opened in Horsham and having looked at the menu online I think we will try it next week.

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
Also just discovered both Dominos and Pizza Hut recently started doing gluten free bases. I found a website called gluten free student cookbook very useful if your looking for eating out advice.
In terms of bread the best I have found is genius, they do 2 loafs and I haven't worked out what the difference in the recipe is but the bigger loaf (currently still says new recipe on packet) is significantly better than the old one.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Can anybody recommend any decent restaurants/takeaway places that have gluten-free on the menu?

I'm new to this and pretty sure curry houses & pizzas are full of the stuff because of the pizza base and sauce thickener, but when I can't be arsed to make something specific and want a takeaway are there any options?

Also if anybody has a gluten/wheat free diet do they have any advice on good food replacements or things to avoid etc (from the gluten-free stuff)?

Thanks

My wife and sister in-law are ceoliac. We both get takeaway deliveries from the Agra in commercial square. Most indians do not use flour/wheat gluten (exceptions are Baji's and popadoms from The Agra). You can even have Naan breads are use gram flour (Lentils). She likes the Chicken Tikka Curry, and I have the old Chicken Tikka Saag Balti.

Blue India is also OK. Have been out for meals with my wife there. Just need to ask them.

Only problem is Chinese food. Can't seem to find much on that front.

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
The best indian in HH by far is the curry inn down by the station. They are a good bunch in there and I'm sure the owner would cater for your condition! Give him a ring... Seriously worth it!
FYI avoid blue India like the plague!!!

Magic Sponge

Jun 17, 2011
House In The Hill
The best indian in HH by far is the curry inn down by the station. They are a good bunch in there and I'm sure the owner would cater for your condition! Give him a ring... Seriously worth it!

Would have to agree, nothing is too much trouble for them, I would give them a call to see what they can do for you.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath

The Didar in Boltro Road is my favourite takeaway. Abdal, the chap that runs it is really nice, always seems to be open at this time of year and I'm sure they're gluten-free.

JTR938, it's interesting that you mentioned Blue India. I was sick last time I had a takeaway from there last February and it wasn't fully cooked or piping hot I remember.

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
Umm... I was'nt ill as such just bit into a piece of chicken that can only be described as rotten!! Not nice!
Had a few from Didar and would struggle to criticise them but I do have a soft spot for the curry inn, they seem to make their cirrus both hot and flavoursome....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here